Wall Ownership?

Wall Ownership?

Postby RocknRoll » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:04 pm

I have no issue with my neighbour about this but Id just like to know;
We built over a year ago now a new front brick wall around the front garden of our property.
Looking at our property from the front, Id like to know if the wall to our 'LEFT' is classed as 'our property' - as we built it and fully paid for it etc?
(It has metal railings on top to match all our front walls so theres no doubt anyone wouldn't think this was 'our' wall rather than the neighbours etc)

Obviously not our neighbours fault; but a cable company has tacked wires all along 'our'(?) wall, which made me wonder maybe even despite paying for and building this wall - WHO owns it really?! Could they do what they want to it, do I have any rights to it really? :shock:

The neighbours front garden is composed of no front walls.
RocknRoll

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Wall Ownership?

Postby COGGY » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi
Cable companies in my experience have no respect for anyone's property. They do as they like regardless of whether it is right or wrong.
Regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi Rocknroll,

WHO owns it really?

the landowner

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby span » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:24 pm

It's your wall, absent your neighbour claiming otherwise. With him claiming otherwise it's probably your wall, from the information supplied.

Where does this cable serve? Your property? The neighbour? Somebody else?

If it serves the neighbour - Would you objecting to the cable co be likely to kick off a dispute with the neighbour?

What do you intend doing to the cable co?
span

Postby RocknRoll » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:48 pm

No ones claiming otherwise, I just wanted to know for future reference.
The cable has been put into the neighbours property 'off' our own cable connection.
As I said I have no issue with the neighbour about this I simply wanted to know as I paid for the wall, it goes all around 'my' property, but as the neighbour doesnt have a front wall I doubt they will build their own and therefore Im hoping this doesn't turn into a 'joint' ownership wall somehow as I want to be able to maintain it etc

I thought id read that if looking at a house the wall/fence to the left is 'yours'?
RocknRoll

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Rocknroll,

I thought id read that if looking at a house the wall/fence to the left is 'yours'?

you may well have read it, but not from a credible source - there's all sorts of similar myths peddled by the ignorant.

as I stated - the wall belongs to the landowner.

if the wall is on your land it is your wall.
if the wall is on your neighbour's land it is his wall.
if the wall straddles the boundary it belongs to you both.

assuming you had the wall built on your land it MUST be your wall.

simples!

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Walls