Historic Retaining Wall

Re: Historic Retaining Wall

Postby span » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Geometer wrote:
span wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Country ... 1842124404

That took me 20 seconds, inc the time to post this.....
Good for you, but I meant "trawling the internet for references", not for a copy of Rackham.

And I meant it took me 20 seconds on Google, not 3 hours in my local 2nd hand book shop.
span

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Gingertubbs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you everyone for your discussions regarding village pounds. I have done some more investigations regarding the history of the houses... ours appears to be a barn for the property on the other side (a map of 1814 has our property marked as a barn and included on their land area and we still share the same ordinance survey plot number ... although I don't know whether this has any bearing on owned land). The same map has the plot we are calling a pound with a dwelling ... not the current dwelling as this was built in approx 1975.
I have asked the neighbour if they have any mention of the wall on their deeds... they assure me they don't... and neither do we! and the earliest deeds of ours goes back to the late 1880s although the property is believed to have been a dwelling soon after the 1814 map was drawn. From the topography of the land it is my thoughts that the 'pound' area was on a slant and this soil was removed and put upon what is now our garden and our neighbour behind us (we share the same height of garden to dwelling ratio and we all one area of land at that time - I am assuming again!)...but who built the retaining wall and when is still a mystery.

I have spoken to the neighbour in question and they think they have done the right thing by 'supporting' the retaining wall by building ON it! .. and suggest that WE pay to find out the ownership ... and they would comply with the findings... but they are not prepared to pay for the service nor pay for any legalisation of the findings.... so no hope in having any amicable decisions.

If this has taught me anything it has taught me to check the documents before purchase... as relations with the neighbours are now strained to say the least!
Gingertubbs

Postby Roblewis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:39 pm

Let us not forget also that enclosures were commenced in the 18th century and the occurrence of stray animals therefore diminished. The open field system of medieval farming often led to animals straying into productive fields and village centres. The end of the 17th century became a pivotal point in farming practice changes and village life.

By the way stone/brick outer skin and rubble infill was not an uncommon method of vernacular wall construction up to the end of the 17th century. All this points to the wall being somewhat older than the OP property
Roblewis

Previous

Return to Walls