Is a retaining wall OK under PD?

Is a retaining wall OK under PD?

Postby pushingtheboundaries » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi

Just a quick one. Our back garden is totally flat (having been artificially flattened I suspect by the builders - it's a new build), but the road alongside rises upwards. Consequently we have a 2m strip up one side of our garden which is raised by about 1m with a retaining wall and backfilled with soil. On top of this section sits the 6' fence to the road. We've filled the raised section with trees. At the rear is a neighbours front garden which sits 6ft above ours, also with a 6ft fence.

Anyway at the back, I've built a retaining wall section 1.2m high and planted some trees in it, for privacy purposes from another house behind.

I know a wall is permitted development, but I'm concerned backfilling with soil could be classed as altering the height of the land?

Thanks
Pushingtheboundaries

pushingtheboundaries

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Is a retaining wall OK under PD?

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 am

Hi pushingtheboundaries,

backfilling with soil could be classed as altering the height of the land

there's no "could" about it - you've raised the land between the walls.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby ukmicky » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi pushingtheboundaries,

Kind regards, Mac

There is nothing that says a structure cant contain earth.

Could the land not be still under the wall and the infill simply be part of the wall. I would say there are potential arguments both ways.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:44 am

ukmicky wrote:

Kind regards, Mac

Could the land not be still under the wall and the infill simply be part of the wall. I would say there are potential arguments both ways.
good point ukmicky - what says the OP?
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:17 am

pushingtheboundaries wrote:I know a wall is permitted development, but I'm concerned backfilling with soil could be classed as altering the height of the land?

Assuming the drawing is reasonably to scale, this doesn't seem to be a structure that would require planning approval, if it had been built elsewhere as a standalone raised bed, it certainly wouldn't.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby pushingtheboundaries » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:32 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
ukmicky wrote:

Kind regards, Mac

good point ukmicky - what says the OP?

Hi

Yep the drawing is roughly to scale. Not too sure what you're asking there... The original retaining wall went right up the side and across the back to retain the road and raised plot behind. I've built the extra wall as pictured to give me an extra cube of high land to plant trees in... so I've essentially raised the land by 1.2m as far as I can see. Or have I just created a planter which butts up to the wall?

Are you saying I could claim the 4 bags of soil it took to fill it are part of the wall structure? :o

Bit confused... Thanks
pushingtheboundaries

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:38 pm

pushingtheboundaries wrote: Or have I just created a planter which butts up to the wall?

That would be my interpretation, based on the drawing and what you've told us. Who owns the wall you've butted up to, I suspect you own one but not the other.

Not too sure what you're asking there...

Me neither!
arborlad

arborlad

Postby pushingtheboundaries » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:25 pm

Not sure who owns the wall at the back. Its 1.5m high and all of it is visible to me, but none of it other than the brick tops are visible to the rear neighbour, who's land is 1.5m higher than mine, if you can see what I mean.
pushingtheboundaries

Postby pushingtheboundaries » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 pm

pushingtheboundaries

Postby arborlad » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:00 am

It's very red and very poor quality brickwork, but it does use a semi-engineering brick which should semi-please one member who thinks only full engineering bricks should be used for retaining walls.

I don't see anything there that would attract the attention of planners - unless you are on bad terms with your neighbour.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby pushingtheboundaries » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:13 am

Yes, thanks for that assessment of my DIY skills Arborlad, I'm not a builder :oops: ... it doesn't really matter what the front facing wall is made of as there is a hefty breeze block wall behind it...

But you've kind of missed the point. It won't attract random attention from planning because it can't be seen by anyone. BUT what I wanted to know is, if planning came round for something else (which is a possibility), would it cause me an issue?

As with most of the threads on here it appears there is no right or wrong answer, with it being quite massively open to interpretation.

:shock: :roll:
pushingtheboundaries

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Walls