can i upgrade my shed

can i upgrade my shed

Postby jane1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:30 am

hi
sorry if this question has been answered before
I have a shed that is made of old wood and sheets on my property and is 9-10 inches
away from from my neighbours back wall of there outer house
I am wonting to remove the old wooden bits and replace with bricks can my neighbour stop me
the shed will still only be has big has it is now and will not touch neighbours wall at all
thanks
jane1

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: can i upgrade my shed

Postby arsie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:57 pm

Sure you can do it, but this will be the last time you will be able to get at the gap so make sure there are no rat encampments or worse in there! Personally I would not build so close but maybe space is v limited.
arsie

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Hi jane,

constructing an outbuilding in a garden requires planning permission.

depending on what you have planned it may be granted planning permission by the latest statutory instrument - the Town and Country Planning (General Permittted Development) (England) Order 2015.

this is commonly referred to as 'permitted development'.

if what you have planned meets the 'permitted development' criteria set out in the above GPDO you can proceed as planned.

if, however, it falls outside the 'permitted development' criteria you will need get a planning application approved.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby raymilland » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:37 am

raymilland

Postby arsie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Under 'permitted development' the shed if it was built today would break the rules on combustible materials and distance, as it is made of wood and less than 1 metre from a neighbour's house (and possibly on height too; although you have not said how high it is.)

Having been there for many years the shed is almost certainly safe from a challenge by planners, as they do have to enforce within a set period. However, if you now upgrade the structure you might, or might not, fall foul of the rules.

Ask the local council, but stress that this is repairs, not in any way extending or altering the shed.
arsie

Return to Walls