My wall damaged by neighbours Front door.

My wall damaged by neighbours Front door.

Postby libbo2003 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 am

Hi hoping for some good advice. I have a single brick small retaining wall in the front of my house between me and my neighbours properties. It is clearly on my boundary side so there is no disputing i own it.
My Neighbour has a small black rubber door stop attached to my wall on his side so is using the wall as a door stop for his front door.
Over the summer he had building working on his house and the builders were constantly banging his front door into the wall I own. So obviously the wall has now been damaged, and is moving. and is cracked along where the wall ties in to the pillar wall. It is an old wall but was in good condition until last summer. To save an argument with him I have asked him if he could make suitable arrangements to create a Door stop for his door on his side of his property which does not include my wall in its effect. To which he has totally ignored my request. I have tried to explain as nicely as possible that the wall is not been built or designed to take the stress of his door being slammed against it and he totally ignores that too.
I have told him also from day one, that I am going to fix the wall at my expense and all i need him to do is stop using the wall as his door stop.
So to protect the wall after it has been repaired, I want to remove his door stop from my wall and put coping stones on it so if he continues to use it as his door stop at least the coping stones will take the brunt of it.
Can I do that?
My problem is coping stones are slightly wider then the Brick wall. So can he then try and claim the coping stones are intruding on his land?
How silly can neighbour deputes be??
libbo2003

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: My wall damaged by neighbours Front door.

Postby Collaborate » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:10 am

I think you've summed it up nicely.

Unless he's had the stopper attached for 20 years, in which case he can claim an easement to continue to attach the stopper to your wall, you can remove it. In theory, even if he has an easement you can still remove your boundary wall and then he'd have nothing to attach it to.

Technically your coping stones would constitute a trespass.
Collaborate

Postby span » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:25 am

To answer your tewo questions:

Yes, and

You would not believe how silly some disputes are. The levels of silliness involved do not at all equate to the levels of hostility, bile, spite and pettiness that silly can cause.
span

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:48 am

Hi libbo,

you've not mentioned - does the neighbour agree it's your wall?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby libbo2003 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:48 pm

hi guys thank you for the response, yes he knows it is my wall. the stopper has been there no more then 5 years when their front door was changed by the previous owner.
libbo2003

Postby Collaborate » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:15 pm

If you remove his door stop presumably he'll have to do something about it as otherwise his door will be damaged.
Collaborate

Postby arborlad » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:32 pm

libbo2003 wrote: So to protect the wall after it has been repaired, I want to remove his door stop from my wall and put coping stones on it so if he continues to use it as his door stop at least the coping stones will take the brunt of it.
Can I do that?
My problem is coping stones are slightly wider then the Brick wall. So can he then try and claim the coping stones are intruding on his land?

Will the repairs require a new footing, if so, an ideal time for you to fix a proper doorstop supplied by the neighbour set into the new footing. Coping stones fitted to a boundary wall that correctly abuts the boundary will have an element of trespass once fitted, this is not normally considered significant enough to warrant action.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi,

If your neighbour's door knocks your wall over, he won't have a door stop.

jonahinoz

Postby libbo2003 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:13 am

arborlad wrote:
libbo2003 wrote: So to protect the wall after it has been repaired, I want to remove his door stop from my wall and put coping stones on it so if he continues to use it as his door stop at least the coping stones will take the brunt of it.
Can I do that?

Will the repairs require a new footing, if so, an ideal time for you to fix a proper doorstop supplied by the neighbour set into the new footing. Coping stones fitted to a boundary wall that correctly abuts the boundary will have an element of trespass once fitted, this is not normally considered significant enough to warrant action.

No at current time the pillar needs to be fixed back to the wall where the joining bricks have been damaged.
libbo2003

Postby libbo2003 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 am

jonahinoz wrote:Hi,

If your neighbour's door knocks your wall over, he won't have a door stop.

Lol yeah would be best thing,but then I need a new wall rather then some work on the pillar and wall joint.
libbo2003

Postby libbo2003 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:17 am

arborlad wrote:
Can I do that?

Coping stones would be a last option, I would need them to over hang my wall slightly on his side to protect the wall from his door.
libbo2003

Postby arborlad » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:13 am

libbo2003 wrote:
arborlad wrote:
Can I do that?

Coping stones would be a last option, I would need them to over hang my wall slightly on his side to protect the wall from his door.

To be effective at protecting your wall the coping stones would have to have some weight to them.

When all is finished, your neighbour will still have a need for a doorstop which isn't fixed to your wall and you will want to protect your wall, so some sort of compromise is needed.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby cleo5 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Could the neighbours, front door be rehung to open the other side so not affecting your wall of your wall?
Cheapest and most satisfactory solution surely.
Any chance he might discuss the problem amicably?
cleo5

Postby mr sheen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:59 am

Come on folks it's Chriiiiissssssmmmmaaaasssss.
This thread is about a door stop and a garden wall.....be neighbourly, sort it out together and get things in perspective!
mr sheen

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Walls