neighbour building wall "out of keeping"

neighbour building wall "out of keeping"

Postby pixiecut » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:27 pm

I live in a cul de sac of 8 1950's detached houses. All the front gardens have low brick walls fronting a lawn. My neighbour, whose house is just at the beginning of the cul-de-sac is building a new wall with an in/out drive and large 2m gates fronting each driveway. He only has a drop curb up to one of the entrances, so drives over grass and a footpath to access the other (which was never part of the house originally) The wall is not only totally out of keeping with the other properties, but also with the rest of the area, all of whom have the original walls. Quite frankly, it looks ridiculous!! I realise he may be within his rights to build the wall. as long as it conforms to planning regs, but do the neighbours, all of whom hate it, have any objections on the grounds that it just ruins the look of the area.
pixiecut

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: neighbour building wall "out of keeping"

Postby stufe35 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:47 pm

I am not sure about the wall..but im pretty sure you need planning permission for a new vehicular entrance to a property..with drop curbs installed by a council approved RASWA contractor
stufe35

Postby Janieb » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Is the wall the same height as the gates?
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby pixiecut » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Main wall is about 1m & we're told that there will be railings added on top & the gate posts about 2m. We're waiting to see what the gates actually look like.
pixiecut

Postby Collaborate » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Anything over 1m will need PP - that includes the railings.
Collaborate

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:04 am

Hi,

I found something in the Highways Acts (and now can't find it again) which said that if "somebody habitually" drives over a kerb to access their property, the Highways Authority can demand that the house owner should arrange for the kerb to be dropped, else the HA will do the job for him ... and send him the bill. This seemed to imply that it is not a crime to drive over a public footpath/kerb to access property if you have the authority to access it. It IS a crime to do it with an HGV.

You need permission from the HA, to drop a kerb. My application form said they can refuse permission if vehicle access is already available. There are other constraints, such as proximity to a corner, or street furniture (lamp posts, bus stops, etc) Ask your HA to send you an application form, see what it says.

The original PP may have specified the colour of bricks that must be used to build the house ... I don't know if that would extend to the front wall.

John W
jonahinoz

Return to Walls