Garden wall - party wall ?

Garden wall - party wall ?

Postby NickyBlake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:18 pm

I've had a search through and cant find a clear answer, I live in a semi-detached house and running the along the end of our garden is a wall which continues on along the end of the attached houses garden.

They have mentioned that they will be adding a 6 foot fence along the bottom and side of their garden (to join one they have added their side of our boundary fence between us) and we presume they will be removing their side of the wall to do this, what I cant find is what needs to be done prior to work commencing.

Is this a party wall ? Do we get any 'rights' to protect our side of things ?

I'm concerned we will end up with a hacked mess where they've decided their wall ends
NickyBlake

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Garden wall - party wall ?

Postby despair » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:08 pm

Have you checked the deeds for both houses?

You can obtain copies for a few pounds from www.landregistry.gov.uk
despair

Postby arborlad » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:27 pm

NickyBlake wrote:I've had a search through and cant find a clear answer, I live in a semi-detached house and running the along the end of our garden is a wall which continues on along the end of the attached houses garden.

They have mentioned that they will be adding a 6 foot fence along the bottom and side of their garden (to join one they have added their side of our boundary fence between us) and we presume they will be removing their side of the wall to do this, what I cant find is what needs to be done prior to work commencing.

I'm concerned we will end up with a hacked mess where they've decided their wall ends

Is this connected to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20229
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby NickyBlake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:23 pm

despair wrote:Have you checked the deeds for both houses?

You can obtain copies for a few pounds from http://www.landregistry.gov.uk

I have copies of both, both have t markers for the walls at the end of the gardens (we are side by side) what it doesn't tell me is what happens at the point of the join. It's one long continous wall at present, the topping on the wall shows the point at which it changes but the bricks blend through that.
NickyBlake

Postby NickyBlake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 pm

arborlad wrote:
NickyBlake wrote:I've had a search through and cant find a clear answer, I live in a semi-detached house and running the along the end of our garden is a wall which continues on along the end of the attached houses garden.

Is this connected to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20229

That's my post regarding the same neighbours
NickyBlake

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi NickyBlake,

what I cant find is what needs to be done prior to work commencing.

nothing on your part, unless you've attached something to his wall - in which case best retrieve it.
nothing on his part, either, save for maybe negotiating access with the neighbour on the other side of his wall.

Is this a party wall?

not with you it isn't - it's either his wall or it straddles the boundary with the neighbour on the other side of the wall.

Do we get any 'rights' to protect our side of things?

if he damages your wall, or any of your property for that matter, then you can seek compensation - you can't stop him replacing his wall with a fence even if your concerned about his abilities.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby NickyBlake » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Thank you !

There is no neighbour as such the other side as we back onto a public field.

I have no problem with them putting a fence up, it's just what will be left attached to our side of things if anything, it's old but in good condition so have no intention of removing it ourselves.
NickyBlake

Postby arborlad » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Is it just the one other house that has this wall at the end of its garden or does it continue along the end of other gardens.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:50 am

Hi NickyBlake,

Thank you !

My pleasure !

hope things turn out okay.

Jovial regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:54 am

NickyBlake wrote:They have mentioned that they will be adding a 6 foot fence along the bottom and side of their garden (to join one they have added their side of our boundary fence between us) and we presume they will be removing their side of the wall to do this, what I cant find is what needs to be done prior to work commencing.

There is no certainty as to the ownership of this wall but if the neighbour has made the decision to remove it, they must also assume they own it, until such times as there is evidence to the contrary, you're going to have to make the same assumption - where your wall ends should be rebuilt to a satisfactory standard at their expense.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby NickyBlake » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Arborlad,

The wall is just around our 2 gardens, it continues down the side of theirs and through the middle of ours.

They've already started work, they've used an angle grinder and sliced through the bricks 2 bricks over from the boundary. Nothing else since but we're guessing they intend to sledge hammer the rest ?

We can hope they are leaving a clear gap so our section isn't touched but we know that's not likely !

Thanks again for the advice !
NickyBlake

Postby arborlad » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:48 am

NickyBlake wrote:Arborlad,

The wall is just around our 2 gardens, it continues down the side of theirs and through the middle of ours.

They've already started work, they've used an angle grinder and sliced through the bricks 2 bricks over from the boundary. Nothing else since but we're guessing they intend to sledge hammer the rest ?

We can hope they are leaving a clear gap so our section isn't touched but we know that's not likely !

Thanks again for the advice !

Not very clear what is meant by this, it could be that they have cut 18" too far into your wall or a lesser amount dependent on bond.

There is an unanswered question in your other thread......

You should ask admin to merge your threads.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby NickyBlake » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:49 pm

My other thread is a different issue. The information in the other thread doesn't relate to this one so I don't feel the need to merge them thanks.

I also qualified which side of the boundary the cut was made by saying they may not intend to come any closer to our section - sorry if that wasn't clear enough for you.
NickyBlake

Postby arborlad » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:22 am

NickyBlake wrote: We can hope they are leaving a clear gap so our section isn't touched but we know that's not likely !

What do your neighbours say about their intentions regarding your wall?
arborlad

arborlad

Postby NickyBlake » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:33 pm

We've had no contact, a couple of months ago it was mentioned they had a quote but couldn't afford it so weren't going to do the work. That's the concern, not knowing what will be left.
NickyBlake

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Walls