Retaining Wall: Obligations

Retaining Wall: Obligations

Postby richard3814 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:53 am

I'm in the middle of "designing" a 1.2 or perhaps 1.3 meter high , 6 meter long retaining wall at the boundary at the back of my garden. Because it is a simple retaining wall and below a certain height the project is exempt from local building control.

However, clearly there is responsibility to put up a safe retaining wall. The wall could cause serious injury if it were to fail.

* What would or could show the required responsibility?

* Are there any legal codes or construction requirements involved?

I am minded to put up a king post wall, with railway sleepers.

Thanks. Rich

Edit: I have come across: "A retaining wall can be built from basic principles - a sound foundation, and a normal wall - the wall thicker at the base if need be." Which information you can it seems get from just scouring the internet.
richard3814

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Retaining Wall: Obligations

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi Rich,

My understanding is that a house wall being used to retain the surrounding planet (eg ... a basement wall) should be twice as thick as the ground level above ... a 2 metre high wall needs to be 1 metre thick at the base, but can taper as it gets nearer the surface. A structural engineer may find ways to build a thinner wall. I have read that BCO sometimes assume they have discretion to allow a wall only a third the thickness of it's height.

So ... 50% is the thickness to get under.

I think Google have something to say on the matter, including timber retaining walls. I can't remember what questions I asked of Google.

I suspect it would be a good idea to ensure your retaining wall does not double as a dam.

John W
jonahinoz

Return to Walls