Old wall - maintenance and fixing trellis

Old wall - maintenance and fixing trellis

Postby wellhello » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone could advise
I have an old wall in a fairly poor state of repair at the bottom of the garden. The title on the house states
"to pay half the cost of maintaining a wall 4 feet and 6 inches high on the south side of the plot of land intended to be hereby conveyed"
I wish to install 2 foot of trellis which starts at the top of the wall. My options are to sink posts into the ground in front of the wall (might need to go into the wall footing) or fix wooden batons to the front of the wall with screws going into the brick potentially.
I don't know whether this would be against the terms outlined in the title of the house given I'd be putting screws into the wall?
I don't think there has been any proper maintenance of the wall for decades...
wellhello

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Old wall - maintenance and fixing trellis

Postby arborlad » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:47 am

wellhello wrote:Hi I wonder if anyone could advise
I have an old wall in a fairly poor state of repair at the bottom of the garden. The title on the house states
"to pay half the cost of maintaining a wall 4 feet and 6 inches high on the south side of the plot of land intended to be hereby conveyed"
I wish to install 2 foot of trellis which starts at the top of the wall. My options are to sink posts into the ground in front of the wall (might need to go into the wall footing) or fix wooden batons to the front of the wall with screws going into the brick potentially.
I don't know whether this would be against the terms outlined in the title of the house given I'd be putting screws into the wall?
I don't think there has been any proper maintenance of the wall for decades...

Who owns the land on the other side of the wall?

It's unlikely the wall will take the additional sail area of the trellis.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Collaborate » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:57 am

It all depends on who owns the wall. Probably it's jointly owned, but best to check the deeds just in case.

If it's jointly owned you in theory own your side of the wall up to the middle. You can fix trellis to it if you wish, but make sure you don't weaken the wall. We have a foot of trellis on top of our fence, put there by the fencer, and that doesn't weaken it.
Collaborate

Postby arborlad » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:46 am

Collaborate wrote: We have a foot of trellis on top of our fence, put there by the fencer, and that doesn't weaken it.

You have to ensure you are comparing like with like - raising the height of a fence that is in good condition, is going to have an entirely different outcome to raising the height of a wall that is in poor condition.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Return to Walls