Garden wall underpinning

Garden wall underpinning

Postby tonycarbon2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:35 am

Hi, I have a garden wall which we will need to underpin due to lowering the garden level by 0.5m.
This garden wall is single skin brick wall, around 2m high, and stands wholly on our land but against the boundary with neighboring gardens.

Its technically not "party wall" as it is sitting on our side, so this is not covered by Part wall act?

Do we still need some consent from our neighbors ?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have.
tonycarbon2

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Garden wall underpinning

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:46 am

no
MacadamB53

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:22 am

Hi,

PWA covers excavations within 3 metres of a neighbouring building, that are deeper than the bottom of that buildings foundations. In some cases, the PWA may extend as far a 6 metres, but I doubt that will apply in your case.

I am not aware of any exemptions that are dependant on the purpose of the excavation, but I think the Utility providers are exempt when digging ditches for mains services.

If your neighbours house is modern, I doubt that you will have a problem. Older houses may only have shallow foundations. One of my houses didn't have ANY foundations, but no problems ... until we changed the sloping corrugated roof for a tiled pitched roof. Luckily, I caught my insurers on a day when they were feeling benevolent. £14,000 for underpinning, in 1991. If the photo appears, it was the bit with the rendered wall ... originally a single storey "dairy".

John W
Attachments
2016 07 14 PHOTOGRAPHS611.jpg
2016 07 14 PHOTOGRAPHS611.jpg (238.03 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
jonahinoz

Postby tonycarbon2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:03 am

Hi, thank you for the reply, very helpful.
The neighboring houses are more than 6m away form the garden wall which we will be underpinning.
tonycarbon2

Postby arborlad » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:37 pm

tonycarbon2 wrote:Hi, I have a garden wall which we will need to underpin due to lowering the garden level by 0.5m.
This garden wall is single skin brick wall, around 2m high, and stands wholly on our land but against the boundary with neighboring gardens.

Its technically not "party wall" as it is sitting on our side, so this is not covered by Part wall act?

Do we still need some consent from our neighbors ?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have.

It's not quite as simple as needing your neighbours consent, you may need planning permission to lower your land, it would depend on the nature and extent of the works.

To underpin your wall, you would need to excavate under your neighbours land, what is there that might be at risk?

What is the age and condition of the wall including the footings, has anyone with experience of this type of work involved in it?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby tonycarbon2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello arborlad,
Thank you for the reply, yes the planning permission is on its way, and I am very happy to discuss this with neighbors.
But my question is that if this is fall within the Party wall act and I need to involve Party wall surveyor?
tonycarbon2

Postby tonycarbon2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:03 pm

sorry forgot to mention, the single skin brick wall was constructed in 1960s with concrete footing.
tonycarbon2

Postby ukmicky » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:21 pm

If you intend to excavate under the neighbours land you will need their permission.

If your concrete pour will extend under your neighbours land even if its only by a millimetre you will need to send a party wall notice.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby tonycarbon2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:26 pm

ukmicky wrote:If you intend to excavate under the neighbours land you will need their permission.

If your concrete pour will extend under your neighbours land even if its only by a millimetre you will need to send a party wall notice.

thank you ukmicky!

I assume this falls into this part of the Party wall Act :

"New building on the boundary line between neighbouring pieces of land (section 1 of the Act)"
tonycarbon2

Postby ukmicky » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:18 am

tonycarbon2 wrote:
ukmicky wrote:If you intend to excavate under the neighbours land you will need their permission.

thank you ukmicky!

I assume this falls into this part of the Party wall Act :

"New building on the boundary line between neighbouring pieces of land (section 1 of the Act)"

Section 1 yes

Letters are all pretty standard ,you can google one .

The notice will need to separately mention section 1(5) ,we intend to build on the Line of Junction between our properties .The new wall will be built wholly on our land

And .

Under the right given by section 1(6) of the Party Wall Act I intended to put projecting foundations under your land.

Your best bet is to invite them around and discuss your plans . They can agree to the work without the use of the party wall act
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby ukmicky » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:38 am

nothingtodowithme wrote:This is arborlad previous username rytnk changed to carbon copy2 note the users in this thread a classic trolling behaviour.
arborlad needs to be monitored.

What is this ?
ukmicky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Walls