Dangerous Dog in garden

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Dangerous Dog in garden

Postby Jim1984 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi all, i am a newbie. Here is my story.

Next door but one to me have a "pitbull" dog ,on many occasions this dog has been in my back garden, causing problems with my own dog. The dog has no collar and can jump fences like they aren't there.

Last summer the final straw came when i was on my driveway about to walk my dog when the dog attacked without provacation. After taking my dog to the vet and £60 later i confronted my neighbour and said that he needed to do somthing about his dog. At the time he seemed to agree and said he would chain it up. However it turns out he has done nothing, this summer has arrived and the dog is appearing in my garden again, thus meaning i can't let my dog out for fear of her being attacked, and even my girlfriend wont hang the washing out without me being there incase it comes in the garden.

Has anyone else had a sililar problem?
Jim1984

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby juliet » Tue May 19, 2009 7:03 pm

My neighbours Rottwielers have attacked me and my dog a couple of times - never bit but just made physical contact with us, knocking me over on the doorstep once so we need to check first before we go out with our dog. I spoke to the council and they visited them but nothing really ever happened. The rottwielers are OK with people but not other animals so they behaved well for the council guy!

Wonder if it is worth you reporting to the council - dog warden? But then it will mean that you fall out with the neighbours I suppose? Also I wonder if it is some illegal breed maybe if you think it is a pitbull?
juliet

Postby despair » Tue May 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Dog owners are required by law to ensure their pets are restained and simply cannot jump fences or arttack other people or other animals

As for a "pitbull" i would well and truly be making waves with the authorities over that one
despair

Postby Jim1984 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies. I use the name pitbull because that is what the owner says it is, it is by no means a family pet, its a guard dog. It lives in the garden. The guy that lives there says it is his sons dog, (who is currently in prison).

As for reporting it i think that may do more harm than good. The police now about the dog because they have been there on visits many times, for unrelated things. I think im painting a good picture of what type of people i live by.

The only thing i can think of doing is adding another couple of feet onto the fence, unfortunatley the fence that it jumps over is not mine, so i could be opening up a whole different issue there.

I just think that the only way it will be resolved is if it attacks a child or a person, then its too late, the damage will be done.
Jim1984

Postby despair » Tue May 19, 2009 7:48 pm

If its a pitbull ..............they are banned so the Police are failing in their duty

What height are the fences currently ?

A good pyracantha Hedge would deter the beast but it will take a while before that grows tall enough unless you can buy some very large plants
despair

Postby juliet » Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 pm

I suppose the neighbours sound 'fairly' reasonable so why not ask (I am presuming the fence in question is the boundary between you and them and belongs to them) if you can add trellis to the top of the fence? I don't know how they could say no really?

I wonder if anyone has ever used electric fencing to keep a dog out.....:lol:
juliet

Postby Jim1984 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:12 pm

The fences are 6 feet at the moment, I was thinking about adding another 2 foot of trellis, 8 foot of fence should keep it out i hope.

The dog is actually 2 doors down, the house next to me is privatly rented and the fence belongs to them. Last winter a panel blew out in the wind and for 6 weeks was not replaced, until i did it, so im guessing they are't concerend over the fence.

They also have 4 children under the age of about 8 which is worrying, im a just waiting for somthing serious to happen.

I think its just a case of making the fence higher and hoping it can't get in. If that doesnt work then im kinda stuck.
Jim1984

Postby despair » Tue May 19, 2009 10:38 pm

Without planning permision fences inc trellis can only be a max of 6ft6in high

if that Pitbull can leap over 6ft fences something SERIOUS must be done about it

Waiting for a child to be bitten or worse is not acceptable
despair

Postby Mattylad » Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

dig some 4' pits your side of the fence with 2' spikes in them. :D :D
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed May 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Film the dog jumping the fence and go to your local paper and explain how the police don't want to avert a child being mauled by this dog, they love that kind of story.

The police should be having strong words with this idiot for letting a dangerous dog out to rampage in their neighbour's garden. :x
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby ukmicky » Fri May 22, 2009 11:42 pm

As its a pit bull I would make sure i had something in my garden to hand that would stop it dead it its tracks , just in case it came over and attacked me. If he were to know what would happen to it if it attacked you he may then take action to prevent it getting over.

Now wheres that garden fork :)
ukmicky

Postby robj191269 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:02 am

ukmicky wrote:As its a pit bull I would make sure i had something in my garden to hand that would stop it dead it its tracks , just in case it came over and attacked me. If he were to know what would happen to it if it attacked you he may then take action to prevent it getting over.

Now wheres that garden fork :)

I would probably do the same UKmicky... garden hose laying around too....

Not sure if the OP has got his dogs mixed up and it is actually a staffordshire bull terrier that the neighbour has. They are pretty much identical in looks but size wise a pitbull is much larger ie labrador height.

I knew someone with a pitbull and it loved my kids .... but kept my dogs well away though.
robj191269

Postby kellyhu » Sat May 30, 2009 5:11 pm

I wonder if anyone has ever used electric fencing to keep a dog out.....

I'm afraid i dont agree with you on that, its not the dogs fault its like it is.
As for it being a pit bull then i'm almost sure it isnt as they're banned and if the police have been to the property they have to report the dog to the rspca.

Have you yourself tried talking to the Rspca? They're not as bad as everyone make out to be, and they may be able to help.
kellyhu

Postby ukmicky » Sat May 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Pitbulls are not banned.
ukmicky

Postby Stoday » Sun May 31, 2009 3:06 am

juliet wrote:
I wonder if anyone has ever used electric fencing to keep a dog out.....:lol:

You can buy electric fences made for pets and dogs in particular.

Click here

:D
Stoday

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals