anybody there who actually likes cats and hates prikka??

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

anybody there who actually likes cats and hates prikka??

Postby madmoggy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:00 pm

i thought this forum might have some answers for people like me about how to deal with nasty neighbours who are paranoid about my cat walking, yes walking, on their fence - shock, horror!!

it seems that many people here feel that prikka - i'd never known such a nasty little invention existed until i saw it all across the length of my back garden - is an acceptable way to deal with a cat on a fence.

had it occured to any of the cat haters out there that going up to the offending feline and making a loud noise and saying 'shoo' whenever you see the cat will also work?? much cheaper and then both neighbours don't have to look at these offensive spikes 24/7 year round.

when i look at these little horrors it won't make me think 'that will teach the cat to stay off the fence', but it will be a constant reminder of just how mean-spirited and small-minded my neighbour really is. and that's not a bad thing...

peace.
madmoggy

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: anybody there who actually likes cats and hates prikka??

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Prikka strips can deter cats and it is better than using nails or broken glass. They can stop cats from using fences as a quick way to catch birds in bordering trees/bushes, they don't harm the animal. Cats are very intelligent and don't make the same mistake twice, if they walk on the prikka strips they are unlikely to do so again.

Throwing water on a cat could annoy cat owners when they come in sopping wet, but cat owners should be all for humane ways of deterring them from gardens. There are people who suggest using snares, catapults, poison, electric fences and shot guns on here, you really could get upset searching through the cat threads here and see the real horrors of cat haters.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby tarren » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:10 am

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Prikka strips can deter cats and it is better than using nails or broken glass. They can stop cats from using fences as a quick way to catch birds in bordering trees/bushes, they don't harm the animal. Cats are very intelligent and don't make the same mistake twice, if they walk on the prikka strips they are unlikely to do so again.

Throwing water on a cat could annoy cat owners when they come in sopping wet, but cat owners should be all for humane ways of deterring them from gardens. There are people who suggest using snares, catapults, poison, electric fences and shot guns on here, you really could get upset searching through the cat threads here and see the real horrors of cat haters.

.........and the real horror of cat filth and the continuing slaughter, especially this time of the year when all our garden birds have their young just fledged, makes me cringe when next doors horrors carry yet another fledgeling home in their jaws.
tarren

Postby madmoggy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:46 am

hang on tarren - don't jump to conclusions. i am a responsible cat owner, i live in a rural area and there are plenty of places for the cat to p00 so it never goes in the neighbours garden for any reason.

the fence isn't near any trees for bird catching (?? do cats 'catch' birds by leaping from fences?) in fact i should have said the fence is between our gardens where there are no trees, and when my cats were young they wore a bell to keep them from catching birds (on the ground) and i know exactly how you feel about fledgelings so i've always tried to protect the birds by keeping the cats inside in the a.m., etc

also, anyone who ever uses pesticides in their garden is also responsible for causing harm to birds, whether they know it or not.

you should also know i've posted on this forum before about my neighbours who have attached their fence to our house, built a huge 'shed' over the size allowed by planning permission that we look at every day from every angle (planning aren't interested) then built a huge conservatory as well right up against said 'prikka'd' boundary fence that exceeded its permitted size (planning dept also not interested in enforcing) planted shrubs over our boundary in front, hung three sets of wind chimes last week (one in front of the house under the rafters near our bedroom window), so you can see they are bullying and inconsiderate people in general.

this hatred of us all started soon after they moved in because we asked them not to attach their fence to our house when they replaced it in order erect the new conservatory.

in fact, it's us they hate, not the cats, and the prikka is just the latest way of having another dig at us.

so please realise that making sweeping generalisations about people is what makes bad neighbours in the first place.
Last edited by madmoggy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
madmoggy

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:15 am

tarren wrote:.........and the real horror of cat filth and the continuing slaughter, especially this time of the year when all our garden birds have their young just fledged, makes me cringe when next doors horrors carry yet another fledgeling home in their jaws.

There is no law against free roaming cats so people who dislike cats that use humane deterrents should be commended. I don't like to see dead birds either but a cat with a bell does not catch them, all cat owners should put a collar on their cat with a bell.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby madmoggy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:24 am

many thanks *STRONG* for a more sensible reply...anyone else out there?
madmoggy

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:44 am

madmoggy wrote:my neighbours who have attached their fence to our house, built a huge 'shed' over the size allowed by planning permission that we look at every day from every angle (planning aren't interested) then built a huge conservatory as well right up against said 'prikka'd' boundary fence that exceeded its permitted size (planning dept also not interested in enforcing) planted shrubs over our boundary in front, hung three sets of wind chimes last week (one in front of the house under the rafters near our bedroom window), so you can see they are bullying and inconsiderate people in general.

We have horribly pathetic neighbours to one side who have done most of the above and worse, but some of the things people do or have because they want or need them are not to annoy neighbours. I know there are extreme cases where you get the obsessive little annoying stalker type who buys anything mentioned by others or buys things to annoy, they really deserve a taste of their own medicine.

I would try to ignore your neighbour because at some point they will run out of things to do and probably run with their tail between their legs if you stand up to them. If all they want is control, they want to choose who lives in the house next door to them, well it is tough and you have to be tough and ride the waves so they don’t drive you out.

If they really don’t like you they will try to drive you out, ours did this and it almost worked, then they made the mistake of sending viewers and waste our time, so we stayed and are now glad we did. We fought fire with fire and they ran like headless chickens in the night. :lol:

On the plus side of the prikka strips, your cat hopefully will not go in their garden. I always worry with the nasty neighbour’s who hate cats, particularly the cat of their target, they might injure it or worse. So it is better that the cat never strays into their garden. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby suzi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:30 am

im not against cats in any way. what i am against is cats coming into my garden and doing its business and emptying the bin bags.

i also live in a rural area ( fields to the front and one side of property ) I assume the owners of the 3 local cats think their cats use the fields ,which they dont, they use my garden overnight

i have spent a lot of money on trying to deter cats from my garden in humane ways. i have childrens windmills, plants that cats dont like the smell of and i have bought a product to spray on the bin bags that claims to stop cats and nothing works.

the only way for a cat to enter our garden is over the fence, im sorry to say that if i could find something for the top of the fence that didnt look ugly ,but i knew would deter the cats, i would consider using it.

i also see it as my problem, not the cat owners, as cats will be cats
suzi

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:40 am

suzi wrote:i also see it as my problem, not the cat owners, as cats will be cats

I think that is a lovely way to look at it, there are many animals and birds that can potentially do damage or poop everywhere.

You could try balloons filled with water, they can be a great deterrent, it gives the cat such a shock when it busts and soaks them that they don't come back. There are loads and loads of cats in our area and many used to come into our garden and unfortunately fight with ours on occasion so we take steps to keep them out even though we have a cat our selves.

Also try a cap gun, children’s toy, or pop balloons. The noise each time they visit shocks them out of the garden and they become too afraid to come back. It works kind of like the bird scarer, although of course you have to be there but they soon get the message. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby suzi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:50 am

great idea about the balloons filled with water,i will definetly try that this week.I'll put some by the bin bags, which is my biggest problem with the cats.

one cat chose to do his business under a bush we have in the corner so i planted lemon balm nearby and used a childs windmill, which seems to have stopped it, although i probably havent found his second choice of loo yet.

i will keep trying these simple things before i resort to putting things along the fence :)
suzi

Postby despair » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 am

holly leaves across a cats usual path can be effective
despair

Postby tarren » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:36 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
tarren wrote:.........and the real horror of cat filth and the continuing slaughter, especially this time of the year when all our garden birds have their young just fledged, makes me cringe when next doors horrors carry yet another fledgeling home in their jaws.

There is no law against free roaming cats so people who dislike cats that use humane deterrents should be commended. I don't like to see dead birds either but a cat with a bell does not catch them, all cat owners should put a collar on their cat with a bell.

Will, there are two kinds of cats in this country, yours that don't deposit filth in other peoples garden, or slaughter our lovely song birds and the rest of the countries cat poulation.
tarren

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:53 pm

tarren wrote: Will, there are two kinds of cats in this country, yours that don't deposit filth in other peoples garden, or slaughter our lovely song birds and the rest of the countries cat poulation.

http://www.softpedia.com/screenshots/An ... aver_1.png I know! He is a little angel. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:45 pm

We don't have a cat at the moment, but lots of visiting cats and we love to see them. Will is right if a cat walks on the prikka strip once it won't do it again. We also have lots of birds, we're overrun with rabbits and we have a couple of hedgehogs. We get hedgehog doddle on the lawn and carlings from the rabbits, but we get a lot of pleasure from seeing the animals and we can't have one without the other. :lol: We very rarely see a dead bird.
Your neighbours sound a pain madmoggy. So are ours, and if I had to choose between them and a garden full of cats I know which I'd choose.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:20 pm

I would rather have a garden full of Tigers than our neighbours. I think I would feel safer around a Tiger than a certain mad neighbour too. :shock: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals