anybody there who actually likes cats and hates prikka??

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Aw bless, a cat bib, how cute! I can just see how happy our little darling would be with one of those for his birthday. :mrgreen: http://mystuffspace.com/graphic/mad-cat-swimming.jpg It would be as popular as the bath. :lol:

Good idea though, it would have to be a catch me bib because our cat is a messy eater. Our cat also has three bells, he really does not catch birds although the other day I caught him chewing a giant bumble bee, lucky it didn't sting his tongue! :shock:

I actually think cat haters would rather see a nappy. :wink: Or perhaps they would say “don’t let them out.” You know you can’t win when you have a free roaming cat.

louise200 wrote:Hi all, I haven't read the entire topic but some interesting posts to date :-)

It can be distressing for people to witness baby birds being caught by a cat, my opinion is that unfortunately this is nature, but I hate seeing it too. http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening ... clines.asp
As a cat owner do try and stop my cat from doing it.

I wondered if anyone else had tried the cat bib? http://www.catgoods.com/bigcatbib.html

I got one of the triangular ones for my Bengal cross and it worked for a while, until I saw him running across the garden with it round the wrong way, wearing it like a cape. Absolutely hilarious :-D

He's also got 3 bells, sounds like a morris dancer.

I suggested to a neighbour (who mentioned he never goes into his garden anyway, which was good as he's got a carp pond) that I would buy him a super soaker and fill it with lemony water if he did and he liked that idea.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby scootb73 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:38 pm

After trying everything except the old air rifle,or cayenne pepper Im hoping to build my new fence this weekend and fit these blessed spikes!

I am looking forward to a clean garden thats safe for my kids to play in again,no more damned cat at my kitchen window,or the rabbit hutch.

I only wish that I had taken these steps before,or the cats owners paid for them!
scootb73

Postby Trog » Tue May 18, 2010 9:57 pm

louise200 wrote:It can be distressing for people to witness baby birds being caught by a cat, my opinion is that unfortunately this is nature.

Not very natural at all really an animal introduced from abroad, with its population level kept at a level way above what would be the natural carrying level by human feeding. So where naturally a bird might have to watch for one wild cat every couple of square miles, instead there is a domestic moggie in almost every tiny back garden.
Cats they crap on your drive, on your lawn and in your flower beds, they are vermin.
Trog

Postby louise200 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:47 am

It is natural for animals to hunt, is my point. I have no insight into how cats got into the country originally so won't comment on that aspect.

However I, take action to limit mine's hunting ability because I don't like it. Same as I hate seeing hatchlings plucked out of their nest (way out of reach of any cat) by much largers birds. Which again, is nature.
louise200

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed May 19, 2010 9:32 am

I was thinking abut buying one of those sparrow terraces. Well, I say I was thinking, the cat put that idea in my head, he wants a buffet. Goodness! Like he isn’t spoilt enough! :lol: JOKE!!!! Before someone goes bananas and wages war on all cat kind.

Responsible cat owners put bells and bibs on their cats, although I’m not sure about the bib idea, my cat would think it is dinner all day long. :D

A couple of days ago I was sat in the living room and had the patio door open and a cat came in and just stood there and stared at me, at first I though it was our cat but oh no! It was bigger, might have been a lion, :wink: aw it was so very beautiful. We had an almighty stare off and I won. Our cat, the lazy lump just sat there and allowed the home invasion. :lol:

Louise200, are cat bibs safe?
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby louise200 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Hello Will! :-D

http://www.catgoods.com/index.html

Well I had my doubts but I think since it's held on by velcro it's just going to rip off if it gets stuck. Idea is that as the cat goes into the crouch (ready to pounce) position the bib bends and gets in the way and makes it too difficult. Also the bright colour means the birds can see cat approaching.

It makes the cat look totally stupid of course :-)

(I wonder if it was one of those half cat, half lion hybrid blinging cats ;-)
louise200

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed May 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Louise200,

http://images2.cafepress.com/product/38 ... _Front.jpg I should get this one for my cat, he huffs if I don't give him enough attention, he's very jealous and I do often call him Groucho. :lol:

I wonder if they make superman cape bibs? Aw that would be cute when they run and it turns backwards. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Delmar » Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Sorry don't have any idea.Hope some on help you...
Delmar

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu May 20, 2010 1:37 pm

Delmar wrote:Sorry don't have any idea.Hope some on help you...

This is lazy as hell spamming! :lol: I think you might just be a cat. :shock:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby scootb73 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:55 pm

After opening the cat spikes and seeing how sharp they were I decided not to fit them,that was until I found 4 turds in my flower bed,and 2 plants almost dug up.
My mind is now made up,the spikes are going up in the next few days,if cats get hurt,good it will deter them from trying again!

I would have gotten a dog,but I'd rather wait until my kids are a bit older first.
scootb73

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:06 pm

scootb73 wrote:After opening the cat spikes and seeing how sharp they were I decided not to fit them,that was until I found 4 turds in my flower bed,and 2 plants almost dug up.
My mind is now made up,the spikes are going up in the next few days,if cats get hurt,good it will deter them from trying again!

I would have gotten a dog,but I'd rather wait until my kids are a bit older first.

Cats will walk on Prikka strips very carefully and not harm their feet. Although if one jumps up the fence not knowing they are there, they will get a shock and sore feet, making them think twice. They are not designed to cause damage and you will find some cats will walk on them, a squirt with some water will make the message louder in that case.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Re: anybody there who actually likes cats and hates prikka??

Postby powderbunny » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 pm

hi madmoggy

i havent read the whole thread....

the last couple of weeks my 2 cats have been returning home with lacerations to their bag legs and tummies, sunday one of them came back with a hole through his ankle (emergency vets, general anaesthetic stitches and skin glue). it would appear the culprit is the use of "humane" prikka strips on a neighbours fence.

i empathaise with people not wanting cats in their gardens, but i dont know what the solution is....

not nice having a sad cat :(
powderbunny

Postby despair » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 am

Are you sure its Prikka Strips and not someone putting carpet gripper strips on their fence
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 am

powderbunny wrote:i empathaise with people not wanting cats in their gardens, but i dont know what the solution is.

You will find the only solution is to keep the cat in. I too have a cat and he likes to roam free, we can't keep him in because he spent years outside before we took him on. We have tried, but he gets too stressed and I have never seen anything like it. We have both had dogs growing up and there is the risk of them getting broken glass in their pads when out walking, this actually happen to one of my dogs a couple of times. Occasionally another dog would attack when on a walk too, causing injury. What I am trying to say is the dangers are there, far worse than plastic spikes.

I'm thinking despair has the right idea, what is probably injuring your cat is something else. You don't see where the cat roams, so it could be anything.

Cats are actually very intelligent, they don’t tend to keep brutally injuring themselves on the same thing. They learn, just like we do when we have put our hand on a hot kettle or something when we were young, we just don’t do it again. So even if your cat was hurt once on one thing, you can bet the next time it was something else.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby madmoggy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:52 am

powderbunny wrote:hi madmoggy

i havent read the whole thread....

the last couple of weeks my 2 cats have been returning home with lacerations to their bag legs and tummies, sunday one of them came back with a hole through his ankle (emergency vets, general anaesthetic stitches and skin glue). it would appear the culprit is the use of "humane" prikka strips on a neighbours fence.

i empathaise with people not wanting cats in their gardens, but i dont know what the solution is....

not nice having a sad cat :(

hi bunny - haven't been on this thread for ages, but interesting to see it's lasted so long...in any case, prikka couldn't have done that kind of injury. prikka are hard plastic but flat at the tip and probably couldn't even puncture card, so i'm sure they couldn't cut into a cat's skin, which is very tough. i've seen my cat walking across the prikka without injury, and the pads of the paws are very soft.

someone must be using something vile and cruel (like glass or nails) if it's causing that kind of injury - i'd definitely go to the rspca if it continues. it may be a summer thing while people are using their gardens more. hope the cats are ok now.
moggy
madmoggy

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Animals