Proposed new dangerous dog law

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Re: Proposed new dangerous dog law

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:49 am

A license for pets would be a good start and compulsory micro-chipping, even muzzling when out on walks. But I don’t know what the answer would be to keep people safe in their homes from their potentially dangerous pets.

I think having a powerful animal as a pet is a risk people should take very seriously, especially with young children. With all things there are risks, the risks are just higher with a large powerful animal like a pit bull type dog. I heard some less desirable type mothers bragging on the bus to one another about having Staffordshire bull terriers. This surprised me, mothers of young children talking about how they make their dogs good guard dogs. I won't go in to how they do this as it is too offensive to even type. There seems to be a strange mindset in some people to have dogs as trophies and tools to be feared, what about their children when their faces get torn off? Hummm don't know what the answer is, how do you stop the wrong type of person from having an animal?

I read a story once about someone keeping a large python and a child being killed by it. Should people really be allowed to have such a pet if it can be a danger to anyone other than the owner? The problems with most animals is their owners.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Pixies » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Deed NOT BREED :)
Dogs are trainable animals...it is the owners responsability and liability for 'creating' a dangerous dog.
Its tragically unfortunate for these 'stereotyped' breeds...unfortunately they cant pick their owners nor speak to the people whom 'judge' them :(

And what really annoys me is people whom are not experienced in identifying breeds think they have the ability to identify a 'Pit bull' from a distance - you dont. Even the experts struggle and have to conduct DNA tests! American Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not banned in the UK, their bigger than Staffies and people instantly presume their a 'Pit bull'!
Im involved in Bull breed rescues and walking breeds like American Bull Dogs, English Bull Terriers etc down the street (whom look NOTHING like a Pit Bull) people are crossing the street whispering 'its a Pit bull, its a Bull Mastiff'?! Yet we also rescue small dogs and the public let their children run upto them, scare them and they snap! Granted a bite from a larger dog would be worse than a Chihuahua but often smaller dogs bite from fear again through inproper training, and if we're catagorising larger breeds - German Shepherds and so forth should also be thrown into the mix not just people clinging onto the medias scapegoat 'Pit bull' type dog, which is again fabrication.
I could go on for hours from the research ive put into this..
The country needs educating about responsible dog ownership not 'banning' or 'stereotyping' - if thats the answer, lets ban alcohol, smoking etc etc...banning isnt always the answer to deal with issues.

Look at 'Sharky' The American Pit Bull Terrier on YouTube....a prime example of great ownership and this breeds modern persona.
Then look at 'Poodle kills child' 'Pom kills child' 'Jack Russell kills child' - you'll find fatal articles on every breed, all breeds have the ability to kill if provoked/unsupervised...most of these stories start with 'mother left child alone with dog' some children are also not taught how to behave around animals. Any animal is a serious commitment, even a hamster - its a living being.
I say lets remain a country of dog lovers, not just certain 'breeds'
Rant over :lol:
Last edited by Pixies on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pixies

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Pixies wrote:Deed NOT BREED :)
Dogs are trainable animals...it is the owners responsability and liability for 'creating' a dangerous dog.
Its tragically unfortunate for these 'stereotyped' breeds...unfortunately they cant pick their owners nor speak to the people whom 'judge' them :(

And what really annoys me is people whom are not experienced in identifying breeds think they have the ability to identify a 'Pit bull' from a distance - you dont. Even the experts struggle and have to conduct DNA tests! American Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not banned in the UK, their bigger than Staffies and people instantly presume their a 'Pit bull'!
Im involved in Bull breed rescues and walking breeds like American Bull Dogs, English Bull Terriers etc down the street (whom look NOTHING like a damn Pit Bull) people are crossing the street whispering 'its a Pit bull', yet we also rescue small dogs and the public let their children run upto them, scare them and they bite!
The country needs educating about responsible dog ownership not 'banning' or 'stereotyping' - if thats the answer, lets ban alcohol, smoking etc etc...banning isnt always the answer to deal with issues.

Look at 'Sharky' The American Pit Bull Terrier on YouTube....a prime example of great ownership and the breeds modern persona.
Then look at 'Poodle kills child' 'Pom kills child' 'Jack Russell kills child' - you'll find articles on every breed, all breeds have the ability to kill if provoked/unsupervised.
Lets remain a country of dog lovers.
Rant over :lol:

I don't think that many people judge the dogs, they judge the owners, 'actions or inactions'. You can't stop an idiot buying animals, just like you can't stop idiots from having kids. The authorities can only step in when things go horribly wrong.

I agree banning doesn’t work.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Pixies » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Well maybe a licence will work - but only if it is required of every owner, if they start segregating breeds it will only push these to the 'underground market'...they will love the fact they own a banned breed. You will probably find these sort of people already bragging they have a Pit Bull - when it actually wont be?! Ultimately risking the dogs life.
But your right, it wont end up being enforced so the idiots will get away with owning a dog :(
Pixies

Postby JamesA2 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:25 am

What’s needed is a phasing out of all the powerful breeds. People shouldn’t be allowed to have anything bigger or stronger than a Labrador.

Compulsory neutering of existing dogs plus requiring them to be muzzled and on a lead in public until they pass on of natural causes.

I wouldn’t rule out taking the dogs away from dodgy chav families on a case-by-case basis.

The police should be able to adopt a capture/destroy on sight policy of any powerful dog.
I think the police adopt a work avoidance policy these days and this is the real reason behind a lot of the moaning.

The chav element could be easily dealt with, but these dangerous dogs are fashionable even in so-called nice areas.

In reality if this becomes law it will make things much worse.
As usual nothing will be done until after an attack.
The despicable organisation that is the Kennel Club is sponsoring this change.
There are lots of dog attacks every year, but few get coverage as it doesn’t suit the press’s storyline of us being “a nation of animal lovers” despite the percentage of households with a dog/cat being actually quite low (around 20%).

The stupidity is that dog owners are being tricked into being behind the changes when attacks are most likely to be on dog owners.

At the moment people with young kids often have to avoid parks because of the dog problems.
You also shouldn’t have to worry about some idiot with a totally inappropriate animal next door.

All the stuff about dog owners having to responsible is true, but with sensible breeds.
JamesA2

Postby Posidrive » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:50 pm

JamesA2 wrote:What’s needed is a phasing out of all the powerful breeds. People shouldn’t be allowed to have anything bigger or stronger than a Labrador.

Compulsory neutering of existing dogs plus requiring them to be muzzled and on a lead in public until they pass on of natural causes.

I wouldn’t rule out taking the dogs away from dodgy chav families on a case-by-case basis.

The police should be able to adopt a capture/destroy on sight policy of any powerful dog.
I think the police adopt a work avoidance policy these days and this is the real reason behind a lot of the moaning.

The chav element could be easily dealt with, but these dangerous dogs are fashionable even in so-called nice areas.

In reality if this becomes law it will make things much worse.
As usual nothing will be done until after an attack.
The despicable organisation that is the Kennel Club is sponsoring this change.
There are lots of dog attacks every year, but few get coverage as it doesn’t suit the press’s storyline of us being “a nation of animal lovers” despite the percentage of households with a dog/cat being actually quite low (around 20%).

The stupidity is that dog owners are being tricked into being behind the changes when attacks are most likely to be on dog owners.

At the moment people with young kids often have to avoid parks because of the dog problems.
You also shouldn’t have to worry about some idiot with a totally inappropriate animal next door.

All the stuff about dog owners having to responsible is true, but with sensible breeds.

Hmm, I was having quite a laid back and relaxing day until I saw this drivel. For a moment I even had to do a double take because I thought I might be April Fool's Day.

Firstly, 100% of dog related incidents are down to either the owner or breeder of the dog. Any dog that is brought up in a caring environment and properly trained will not be a problem dog. Problems
in parks are due to irresponsible owners not the dogs.

Secondly, statistically more people are bitten by small dogs that the larger breeds, even taking into account the likelihood that often the bite from a small dog will not be reported because it is often relatively minor

Thirdly, both the Irish Wolfhound and the Great Dane are notoriously gentle breeds but far larger that the 'Labrador' breed mentnioned above. This makes a ban on size to be truely ridiculous.
Posidrive

Postby Sudynim » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:46 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
Pixies wrote:Deed NOT BREED :)
Im involved in Bull breed rescues and walking breeds like American Bull Dogs, English Bull Terriers etc down the street (whom look NOTHING like a damn Pit Bull) people are crossing the street whispering 'its a Pit bull',....

I don't think that many people judge the dogs, they judge the owners, 'actions or inactions'. You can't stop an idiot buying animals, just like you can't stop idiots from having kids. The authorities can only step in when things go horribly wrong. .

I agree. It may be fine to have Pixies walking down the road with a nasty-looking dog, but some people keep and use them as a status/intimidation symbol. Some people do not take proper care to control their nasty-looking dog, and then children get their faces torn to pieces. The appearance, breed or temperament of the dog is little consolation to the child and their family.
Sudynim

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:28 pm

Breeds should not be banned, people should be banned from having animals after using or abusing them. I don't believe bans should ever be lifted, ‘I mean a ban on having animals after being convicted of animal cruelty etc.’ The repercussions of using and abusing animals should be very severe, in order to be an effective deterrent.

I do think using an animal as a status symbol comes close to abuse, even if the animal is cared for. The animal used in the wrong way can lead to its death, so that in itself is abusive.

Banning breeds is awful, and this happens because stupid people have certain breeds for the wrong reasons or they own them irresponsibly.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:56 pm

I'm not a dog lover, and my stomach turns over when I see children cuddling Pit Bulls and Rottweilers, and other large dogs. Children are very trusting and they don't realise that the family pet can suddenly turn and tear them to pieces. You often hear someone say 'it's ok, he won't bite'. Any dog can bite and often with no warning. I saw a woman and a small boy who had just started to walk, and was very unsteady on his feet walking beside a busy main road. They had two greyhounds with them.
The woman was holding one lead and the other one was wrapped round the little lad's wrist. If the dog had suddenly decided to run off he'd have been dragged along, probably onto the busy road. Some people just have no sense.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 pm

appledore wrote:I saw a woman and a small boy who had just started to walk, and was very unsteady on his feet walking beside a busy main road. They had two greyhounds with them.
The woman was holding one lead and the other one was wrapped round the little lad's wrist. If the dog had suddenly decided to run off he'd have been dragged along, probably onto the busy road. Some people just have no sense.

That is just barmy isn’t it!

I have seen this sort of thing too, not a million miles from here if you get my drift. Some parents are not just devoid of common sense, they are begging for something terrible to happen.

My brother was bitten on the face by one of our dogs growing up. No matter how much we love and trust our pets, they are animals at the end of the day that can react differently to things we wouldn't even see as a threat.

With or without dogs, I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen parents push their pram with child in to the road, and then look. What is that about? :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:39 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:With or without dogs, I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen parents push their pram with child in to the road, and then look. What is that about? :lol:

I've seen that a lot too. Maybe just desperate for a good night's sleep. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:13 pm

appledore wrote:I've seen that a lot too. Maybe just desperate for a good night's sleep. :lol:

:lol: It would definitely render the kid quiet, better than a cushion. :oops:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Pixies » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:33 pm

WillRemainStrong I totally agree.
Breeds should not be just abandoned - it was us humans that have bred them to be what they are today. The Pit Bull was once the family dog of America.
Stupid owners can also constitue to those which buy toy breeds and treat them as such - a Chihuahua can bite quite hard if it wants to and a baby is no competition for 'any' dog.
I have 2 Chihuahuas, they deserved just as much training and socilisation as my English Bull Terrier did. Responsible owners need to be just that and parents need to be 'parents' and ensure their children are also trained how to behave around animals, making them fearful of a certain breed or certain animal will not help in any way and this form of energy could actually result in an actual attack.
Pixies

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Pixies wrote:Stupid owners can also constitue to those which buy toy breeds and treat them as such - a Chihuahua can bite quite hard if it wants to and a baby is no competition for 'any' dog.

I did read a story once about a tiny yorkshire terrier killing a baby in its cot. The fact remains that we invite animals into our homes and sometimes don't fully accept that there is a different moral code. A yorkshire terrier isn’t going to lose sleep over killing a baby like 'most' human beings would, it won’t bother analysing the situation and waste time on regret. It isn’t that a breed is potentially dangerous, most animals are potentially dangerous, never more so than in the wrong hands.

I think to own an animal is to accept that they aren’t just the sweet cuddly looking angels we most of he time look at them to be, some are very much with killer instinct.

When I see a dog tied to a pram or child being dragged down the road by a dog way too powerful, I wonder if I will read another tragic story about a powerful breed, or breed which turned on the child. Most situations where something awful happens, I think the tragedy might have been avoided if an adult with supposed intelligence had have put their brain in gear that day, month, year, etc.

And as for a chihuahua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKGPvul8 ... re=related far more scary than a pit bull, I mean that, I'll have nightmares after seeing that video. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby weeg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm

firstly,,,muzzling all dogs in publc areas??? how about giving us dog parks,,,I do think compulsory dog licences should be brought in along with compulsory basic dog training,,,,the dogs act 1871 is a different law to the dda,,,it it still in use and can be quoted to the police,,they must act on it,dont let them fob u off...I feel very strongly about these issues because i have 3 kids and at present 5 gsd`s(german shepherd dogs). I spend years training my kids and dogs,i pick up after all of them..All my dogs are insure. gx
weeg

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Animals