cockerals

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

cockerals

Postby whoknows » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 am

can anyone tell me law regarding keeping cockerals in the garden as my neighbour has purchased one knowing we are against it as he had one before and is aware of our greivencies.
whoknows

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: cockerals

Postby Uriah Heap » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:26 am

I dont think ther is any law against it. There might be a covenant in your neighbors deeds that says he cant keep them but covenants are usuall difficult (expensive) to enforce.

If it makes a lot of noise or smells your best bet is a complaint to Enviromental Health Dept of your council. Dont hold your breath though. mine were next to useless with noise problems.

Good luck. I wish I could give you some more helpful advice.
Uriah Heap

Postby Beetlemama » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:44 pm

We have a cockerel (by accident) and when he first started crowing we contacted the council in a panic with images of getting sued for disturbing the peace, but they told us it was fine for us to have him, and if anyone complained about him crowing he'd be treated as any "noise nuisance" and restricted from making noise after 11pm and before 7am, so we'd be asked to keep him shut up in the dark until after 7am so he didn't crow and wake people - that was all.

We leave him in bed until 8:30am just to be sure and he's never ever up even close to 11pm, in high summer he goes to bed at 9:30 and in winter closer to 5pm.
Beetlemama

Postby MrsHoover » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:05 pm

You can contact your Council's Environmental Health Department and register with them that there is a noise problem - and they will ask you to fill out a diary etc. My experience of this is that the Council is pretty ineffective, but once you have gone through that system you have another option, which might be more successful, which is to take your neighbour to a Magistrate's Court.

This site won't allow me to post the link, but if you Google Environmental Law . org. uk and on that website there is a page: Noise Nuisance, Taking Action Yourself. Hope that helps.
MrsHoover

Postby COGGY » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Beetlemama

Your description of your cockerel's bedtimes made me laugh. Does he have a name?

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi MrsHoover,

Hope that helps.

helpful as your post may be in general, the OP hasn't visited the forum since the day they started this thread almost three and a half years ago!

Kind regards, Mac
PS COGGY, same goes for Beetlemama (2 yrs since visit)
MacadamB53

Postby COGGY » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Thank you Mac. I had not noticed the date. :?
Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:28 am

Hi,

I used to have a Maran cockeral, who used to crow a 2.30AM every morning. For some strange reason, nobody ever complained. They even seemed to love my menagerie ... 3 horses, 2 donkeys, 2 orphan lambs, 3 milking goats, 2 pigs, chicken, ducks, a couple of German Shepherds, and a cat.

Even a tethered bill goat raised no comment, but he didn't stay long. Yikes, he smelled something awful, and his personal habits cannot be described here.

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Animals