Growly dog

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Growly dog

Postby Snowsquonk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Hello

We have neighbours who have a fairly recent new dog - we often hear the dog in the garden "playing" which seems to involve him attacking a partly deflated football along with a lot of growling. We have no problem with this during the day but recently the dog is regularly let out at 6.45am for about 10 minutes of growling play. During term time I don't have too much of a problem as I get up then but it's summer holidays and we'd like to sleep in sometimes (other half does strange shifts and often needs to sleep in).

Would it be unreasonable to mention that the growling wakes us up every single morning - I am assuming the dog is let out then as one of the family is up for work - he doesn't seem to be let out at that time at weekends - I thought I could ask that the dog isn't allowed his ball at that time because it's all the growling which wakes me up?

He never seems to bark - just lots and lots of growling!
Snowsquonk

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Growly dog

Postby despair » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:07 pm

If it wakes you up i think its totally unreasonable

What breed is the dog .......sounds like a rather large one if it makes such a noise
despair

Postby Mattylad » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Pop round ask mention this to them, ask them if they can let it out a bit later.
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby nikirushka » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:37 am

They might not realise it's being a nuisance - so much hassle can be avoided in these situations if the owners are informed.

Last year I was looking after some husky/GSDs - my housemates were in but I was out working all weekend at one point, in the end the neighbour snapped at me and I'd no idea why - turned out the dogs had been outside barking all weekend and the housemates hadn't bothered to bring them in and shut the door to stop them doing it. I had no idea as when I was home, they were indoors with me (as my own dogs tend to do). If the neighbour had just said, then they wouldn't have had to put up with it all weekend because I could have taken steps to stop it happening!
nikirushka

Postby kwhite » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 am

Yeah, sounds like they are letting the dog out in the morning when they get up for it to "relieve" itself. Nothing wrong with that, but as you say, playing with the ball at that time is not necessary and they should take the ball away.

We have a Golden Retriever who will stand in the garden barking at fresh air, or if he sees a cat at the bottom ofthe garden, he'll go charging down barking. He has a really deep bark. I know he makes a lot of noise, so try to not let him out unnatended in the garden after about 10pm or before 7am - but in the mornings he goes out for a wee, then I take him for a proper walk anyway.

I set those times as they see to be the sort of times other people in the area stick to. Sometimes he does con me in the middle of the night, whining as if he needs a wee, so I let him out and he barks, but that is extremely rare and I get him in sharpish if that happens.

We had a rear neighbour once who let the dogs out at any time, and often even at 4am in the morning they'd be out barking! By all means, if the dog needs to go out and do its business, then thats right, but to allow it to bark constantly that time of night is not on in a residential area.

I'd go round and politely ask if there is anything they can do - they'll probably say they let it out to do its business, which is fine, but can they try and stop it playing. The dog may be in the habit of it now, so that will need breaking.

But as others said, they probably dont even realise its causing an issue, so give them the benefit of the doubt in this instance and an opportunity to sort it out, as that will be best all round.
kwhite

Postby Snowsquonk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:28 pm

All sorted thanks - had a word and they had no idea he was being a pain. Was being let out when one of the household was getting up, and the reason for the growling was a deflated football which he would attack - that's been taken away and all is peaceful! He's a funny dog - not sure what make, but a complete and utter coward who runs back in the house if he sees someone he doesnt know!!
Snowsquonk

Postby kwhite » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Good result all round then, well done.

Regarding "what make" the dog is...perhaps he's a Renault...i.e. French....i.e. backs down at any sign of conflict?
kwhite

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Animals