Cats catch mice

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Cats catch mice

Postby ukmicky » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Why the hell do they not eat them ,why bring them home and display them like a trophy. .

I have a field behind me, and everyday my cat brings one in and proudly leaves it on the dining room floor.

Today it left it on the the dinning room ,the beige woollen rug and the chairs ,its amazing how much mess a decapitated and gutted mouse can make.

Sorry just thought i would share, like the cat
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Cats catch mice

Postby despair » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Know the feeling ...........got a dog instead much easier
despair

Postby ukmicky » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:15 pm

No dogs require walking and mess in their own gardens :)
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Our cat brings home the odd vole, we call him the head hunter now. If there is one bit he likes on a rodent, its the head! Don't ask me why? If he pulls a sicky after his catch, I find a head. :lol: Lovely cats are!

I think the gifts are for the love we give them. :D Either that or it is a hint, probably to quit feeding them ash in a bowl and bring on the prawns in cream sauce.

As for dogs, one of my dogs growing up would wolf his food down, be sick, then eat it. He would pee up everything, the patio area of the garden had to be disinfected constantly. His poops were huge! He would howl, drool, fart like a forever exploding gas balloon filled with the abominable stink, knock you over as he played, bark at cats constantly and try to hump you every time you bent down. Give me a cat any day. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:59 pm

ukmicky wrote:Why the hell do they not eat them ,why bring them home and display them like a trophy. .

They're bringing you a gift to say thank you for looking after them. We had a cat who always lined the mice up beside the backdoor. They were all facing the same way and the same distance apart, you'd think he'd used a tape measure. :)

When we moved here with all the wild rabbits, he thought he was in heaven. When he killed them he left eyeballs, kidneys and all sorts of innards under the bush by the door. Sometimes there was just the fur like a Davy Crockett hat.

We loved him though. I'd much rather have a cat than a dog.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby ukmicky » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:41 pm

The funny thing is ,when he catch a bird he never kills it ,he brings it home in his mouth and releases it in the house. The last one a starling took 30 mins to catch.
ukmicky

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:03 pm

We had to put several bells on our cat’s collar to prevent him from catching birds, it doesn't prevent him from catching rodents though. He used to bring in a bird still alive, but I could never get him to release it, he would run around so I couldn't catch him and often left a trail of blood. The poor birds take ages to die. :cry: I just couldn't stand seeing that again. I had to actually put a bird out of its misery once, it had a broken neck but was still alive. It was mortifying, hubby wasn’t home and I had to deal with it. :(
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:13 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: . I had to actually put a bird out of its misery once, it had a broken neck but was still alive. It was mortifying, hubby wasn’t home and I had to deal with it. :(

Aw, that must have been awful Will. Birds fly into our patio doors with such a bang, we've tried putting stickers on the glass so they can see that there's something there, but it doesn't make any difference. One must have dislocated it's neck, it was spinning round and round on the ground, it was very distressing. Our cat once caught a tiny baby rabbit, and I managed to get it out of his mouth and it ran off, but then it just dropped down dead. I think it must have died of fright. :(
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14 pm

appledore wrote:Aw, that must have been awful Will. Birds fly into our patio doors with such a bang, we've tried putting stickers on the glass so they can see that there's something there, but it doesn't make any difference. One must have dislocated it's neck, it was spinning round and round on the ground, it was very distressing. Our cat once caught a tiny baby rabbit, and I managed to get it out of his mouth and it ran off, but then it just dropped down dead. I think it must have died of fright. :(

Hi apples. Yes it was awful, I'm really not the type of person to deal with those sorts of situations. I can put a dying insect out of its misery with not too much problem, although I don't even like killing insects…I feel guilty afterwards. :lol:

It does sound like that bunny had a heart attack after the shock of being caught, bunnies and rodents tend to die of shock when caught, but I haven't seen the same thing happen when the cat has caught a bird. He brings in the odd vole, usually he eats the head. The last vole he brought in was warm, so a fresh kill, but its mouth was wide open and its eyes were bulging. I think it died of fright, the poor little twinky. :(

We also get birds flying in to our windows and patio doors at the back of the house, we put a few stickers on the windows a couple of years ago but they still flew in to them. I think it is when they fly up in panic and it is too late to stop...boing! We haven't tried the hologram stickers yet, might try those next.

Are you enjoying summer apples? It'll soon be Christmas, can't wait, can you? :lol: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:57 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[Are you enjoying summer apples? It'll soon be Christmas, can't wait, can you? :lol: :lol:

Hi Will. Yes I'm enjoying the summer, but the weather isn't very summery. :) I'd be complaining if it was too hot. :) I think it's very autumnal. Do you? The berries seem to be on the trees very early this year, and the bedding plants seem to be on their last legs. It'll soon be time to plant the winter flowering pansies. Do you like pansies Will?

Yes, it'll soon be Christmas. Now we have our little granddaughter it's extra special with the dollies and other toys. We looked after her the other day, and it was tiring, but such fun. The house feels empty when she goes home.

We usually put Christmas lights on a tree in the garden, but we had to cut it down as it was far too big. I don't know what we'll do this year. Any ideas? :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:35 pm

appledore wrote:Hi Will. Yes I'm enjoying the summer, but the weather isn't very summery. :) I'd be complaining if it was too hot. :) I think it's very autumnal. Do you? The berries seem to be on the trees very early this year, and the bedding plants seem to be on their last legs. It'll soon be time to plant the winter flowering pansies. Do you like pansies Will?

Yes, it'll soon be Christmas. Now we have our little granddaughter it's extra special with the dollies and other toys. We looked after her the other day, and it was tiring, but such fun. The house feels empty when she goes home.

We usually put Christmas lights on a tree in the garden, but we had to cut it down as it was far too big. I don't know what we'll do this year. Any ideas? :)

I like this summer a lot, nice weather, not too hot, enough water for the water butts. It is a little more like Autumn isn't it!

I do like pansies, they are very cute, they have little faces. I might plant some too. :) I have neglected the garden a little this year in the way of planting flowers. I might do more next year.

It sounds like you now have a house full of toys, do you play with them when your granddaughter is not there? My nan used to keep a couple boxes of toys for us when we visited, she mentioned once that she would get the odd toy out to have a look at now and then when we were not there, I used to joke she kept them there for her own use. :lol: All the toys smelled of smoke and my brother used to moan like mad. The funny thing was my nan always baked lovely cakes, with a fag hanging out her mouth whilst she made them. My brother thought these cakes were the best in the world...I think it was the added ingredient of fag ash. :wink:

I think Christmas lights look nice on deciduous trees, I would put lights on anything, even hubby if he sat still long enough. :lol: Seriously though, fairy lights look nice on lots of garden plants and trees. I love the effect of LED lighting wrapped tightly around a good sized tree trunk, like they do in Center Parcs. We don't have big enough trees, but if we did, I would buy more lights! :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:01 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I like this summer a lot, nice weather, not too hot, enough water for the water butts. It is a little more like Autumn isn't it!

I do like pansies, they are very cute, they have little faces. I might plant some too. :) I have neglected the garden a little this year in the way of planting flowers. I might do more next year.

It sounds like you now have a house full of toys, do you play with them when your granddaughter is not there? My nan used to keep a couple boxes of toys for us when we visited, she mentioned once that she would get the odd toy out to have a look at now and then when we were not there, I used to joke she kept them there for her own use. :lol: All the toys smelled of smoke and my brother used to moan like mad. The funny thing was my nan always baked lovely cakes, with a fag hanging out her mouth whilst she made them. My brother thought these cakes were the best in the world...I think it was the added ingredient of fag ash. :wink:

I think Christmas lights look nice on deciduous trees, I would put lights on anything, even hubby if he sat still long enough. :lol: Seriously though, fairy lights look nice on lots of garden plants and trees. I love the effect of LED lighting wrapped tightly around a good sized tree trunk, like they do in Center Parcs. We don't have big enough trees, but if we did, I would buy more lights! :D

Hi Will. We have a couple of boxes of toys in our granddaughter's bedroom. As soon as she comes she dashes down to her room to look at them, and then brings them one at a time and deposits them in the middle of the living room floor. Then we all have to sit on the floor to play with them. I often look at her toys when she's not here.

The fag ash would make your nan's cakes lighter. :) My nan used to make lovely rhubarb pies. I could just eat some now.

I'll find somewhere to put the Christmas lights. I'll put them on hubby if I can't think of anywhere else. That's a good idea Will. :wink: :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:25 pm

appledore wrote:The fag ash would make your nan's cakes lighter. :) My nan used to make lovely rhubarb pies. I could just eat some now.

I'll find somewhere to put the Christmas lights. I'll put them on hubby if I can't think of anywhere else. That's a good idea Will. :wink: :)

Teeheeee a bit of fag ash makes cakes lighter, I think that tip could catch on. Next time I'm on the baking forum, I'll suggest it as a tried and tested method from a dead relative. :lol:

I'm sure your hubby will appreciate being lit up for Christmas. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I'm sure your hubby will appreciate being lit up for Christmas. :)

Why wait until Christmas? :wink: :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:19 pm

appledore wrote:Why wait until Christmas? :wink: :)

Hubby thinks it's Christmas every day, he is so very spoilt! :lol: 8)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals