Legal to put up barbed wire to stop cats pooing in garden

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Legal to put up barbed wire to stop cats pooing in garden

Postby podface » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:11 pm

I have just had to take the barbed wire down from my fence as my neighbour complained to me.While doing this i stepped in more s**t. They stated that if the barbed wire injured the cat i would have to pay for the fees.
Is it illegal for me to put barbed wire there to stop the f****ing cat from defecating in my garden.
I have tried everything with the get off gel, orange smelling pellets, i have 2 ultrasonic repellers in my garden that dont seem to work. Orange peel, water bottles filled with water, mirrors, cds, pepper...etc. It is so annoying and i gave spent over £100 on a stupid cat thats not even mine!!!
i cant even throw half the s**t back over as its wet diarrhea poop.
Any help appreciated
podface

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Legal to put up barbed wire to stop cats pooing in garde

Postby kwhite » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Heard about Prikka on this forum - it seems to have the same effect, but isn't harmful, therefore don't think you could be accused of injuring the cat.

Did a google search on "prikka strip" and this came up:

http://www.prikka-strip.com/

It is meant to be uncomfortable for the cat to walk on, so the cat decides to take another route, but it isn't sharp enough to harm, so is actually a safe method.

I agree with you on the barbed wire thing, but the risks are too much, I am thinking of getting this on my fence.
kwhite

Postby Mattylad » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 am

And you will be wasting your money.

A cat will be able to find its way without walking on your fence.
Mattylad

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:22 am

I once watched my horse sctatching hos eyelid on a barbed wire "spike". I'd be surprised if a cat was bothered by barbed wire.

I've been told that rats don't like the smell of ferrets, so stay away. I wonder if cats would take the same attitude? But that cure is probabl;y worse than the "disease". Pet python? :D
jonahinoz

Postby kwhite » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:33 am

Mattylad wrote:And you will be wasting your money.

A cat will be able to find its way without walking on your fence.

Completely true, if the cat wants to come into the garden, it will find a way in, but at least the prikka might stop it walking on the fence.

In my case, when the cat walks along the fence it drives my dog wild....so if the moggy wants to cross my garden and cant use the fence, then it has to run the risk of the dog getting it. If the little censored wants to tresspass on my land, then at least my dog can have some fun. And if the dog catches the cat, so be it (although in the past he's only cornered cats, never actually harmed them).

In the OPs case, the Prikka is just an alternative to barbed wire. The barbed wire wont stop the cat either, but he could possibly get into trouble for having it.
kwhite

Postby Mattylad » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:29 pm

AFAIK cats do not censored on the fence :D
Mattylad

Postby kwhite » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 pm

I haven't seen one censored on the fence either (that would be an act of pure skill!) but we are trying to block one of their access points into the garden. Cats are able to climb vertically up fences (really impressive actually to watch) so I guess for them, a fence in the way is no problem. If we can make that fence a problem, then the hope is, they won't bother, and will go elsewhere - or do their business in the litter tray or their owners garden (both of which are fairest).

Obviously, it doesn't guarantee it, as they will possibly find another way in...and the battle continues!

So although I am not a cat person, I do actually admire their athleticism!
kwhite

Postby juliet » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:51 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/used-broken-s ... 2eb8aa617f

Just spotted this and thought of this thread :lol:
juliet

Postby kwhite » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Brilliant!

...but what were you searching for..."cat crap"? :D
kwhite

Postby Mattylad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 am

Some topics I have read recently make me laugh, we cannot say "p o o" (squish) but we can say crap, d1ckhe@d etc.

So what should we call it, "plop" perhaps?
I can't spell faeces.
Mattylad

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:21 pm

"Even the Queen has a number two!" It should be called smellybrownsquish. I can just imagine the Queen or Prince Phillip saying to their staff "one of the Corgies has left a smelly brown squishy again! Be a dear and clean it up for marm or parp!” :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby juliet » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:31 pm

kwhite wrote: by kwhite » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm
Brilliant!

...but what were you searching for..."cat crap"?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stone garden ornaments......honestly gov!
juliet

Postby Sudynim » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:52 pm

podface wrote:I have just had to take the barbed wire down from my fence as my neighbour complained to me.While doing this i stepped in more s**t. They stated that if the barbed wire injured the cat i would have to pay for the fees.

They are wrong, but it's useless as a deterrent anyway.
Sudynim

Postby Clifford Pope » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:34 am

Make friends with the cat, make a fuss of it, talk to it, feed it. Once it feels wanted in your garden it will regard it as "home", so will go to po-o somewhere else.
Clifford Pope

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Animals