How to Deter Cats

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

How to Deter Cats

Postby COGGY » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 am

Hi
I do not hate cats, I like them but not when they deposit "presents" in our garden. I have seen reference to "Prikk Sticks" on this site to deter cats. Please can someone explain what they are? Are they safe to use when trying to deter cats?

Thanks
COGGY
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: How to Deter Cats

Postby appledore » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Prikka strip is a plastic strip with spikes that you put on the top of a fence. It is supposed to cause discomfort to cats without harming them.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby COGGY » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi Appledore
Thank you. I will get some then to deter the cat next door from leaving unwanted presents on our lawn.
COGGY
COGGY

Postby Mattylad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:06 am

It wont stop them.
Mattylad

Postby Conveyancer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:06 am

COGGY wrote:...on our lawn.

Sure it is not hedgehogs? Cats prefer soil.
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby Geometer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Conveyancer wrote:
COGGY wrote:...on our lawn.

Sure it is not hedgehogs? Cats prefer soil.

Or possibly a fox.

This question regularly crops up here, and on other forums I visit. "Prikka" strips won't keep cats out if they really want to get into your garden. If your garden is small, a motion-activated water-sprinkler might do the job, but the only 100% effective deterrents for a larger garden are another cat, or a dog.
Geometer

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:01 pm

The best way to stop cats from po oing in your garden is to scare them away. Once they fear you, they only run through...no time to po o :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby arborlad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:25 pm

COGGY wrote:Hi
I do not hate cats, I like them but not when they deposit "presents" in our garden. I have seen reference to "Prikk Sticks" on this site to deter cats. Please can someone explain what they are? Are they safe to use when trying to deter cats?

Thanks
COGGY

Lots to read here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11531
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Mattylad » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Find the cats garden and go censored there yourself.

See how they like it :)

AFAIK cats bury their censored whenever possible.

If its a fox or hedgehog doing it then it could be interesting to put up night vision cctv.
(I am not suggesting some form of animal censored show) :)
Mattylad

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Mattylad wrote:it could be interesting to put up night vision cctv.
(I am not suggesting some form of animal censored show) :)

:lol:

Cats across the country will be up in arms over this invasion of privacy.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 pm

What a serious cat, he looks really offended doesn't he? If you frighten a cat too much, and he isn't a good runner then you might get more than you bargained for. Whoops!!! :oops:

I think cats often get the blame when it's hedgehogs doing the p**ing. Hedgehog p** is usually black and in long trails. Cats usually bury their p**s.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:42 pm

appledore wrote: What a serious cat, he looks really offended doesn't he?

He looks just like our cat when he doesn't get his own way. which usually means he hasn't had enough treats, the spoilt rotten little sod. :wink:

appledore wrote:If you frighten a cat too much, and he isn't a good runner then you might get more than you bargained for. Whoops!!! :oops:

I know, the p oo would be harder to clean up then! :lol: http://www.blackandabroad.com/wp-conten ... t_poop.jpg If it was our little angel, the scenario would look much like this. Then he would come home and polish his halo. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:11 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I know, the p oo would be harder to clean up then! :lol: http://www.blackandabroad.com/wp-conten ... t_poop.jpg If it was our little angel, the scenario would look much like this. Then he would come home and polish his halo. :mrgreen:

That's what I call a well trained cat. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I know, the p oo would be harder to clean up then! :lol: http://www.blackandabroad.com/wp-conten ... t_poop.jpg If it was our little angel, the scenario would look much like this. Then he would come home and polish his halo. :mrgreen:

That's what I call a well trained cat. :lol: :lol:

You think that is well trained...today I told our cat to ask for his dinner and he made a meow that sounded like hello. It was so cute! The last time I heard anything so funny was this :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV71mpbvl-g Ahhhh it makes the heart gush! :D It was only one little hello or lello as it sounds, but what a genius cat hey!?!?! :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Ahhhhh!! that's lovely. If I had a cat that said hello when he came in I'd keep putting him out so he'd come back in and say it. :lol:
I saw one on youtube once that said love ya, love ya, love ya. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals