Shared garden - neighbour complaints

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Shared garden - neighbour complaints

Postby sybtik » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi,

Wondering if anyone could help with my situation. I am in a flat in a tenement with a small shared garden to the rear. Since I moved in one of the neighbours has been complaining my dogs pee is staining the grass (I always pick up mess after her) she has also ripped a little bit of lining under woodchips, which I have offered to get fixed and am in discussion with a landscaper to sort asap.

The neighbour is a bully, and has spoken to me on several occassions now in a very intimidating way, telling me I shouldnt have her in the garden at all. He wants the details of my landlord to complain.

I feel very threatened by him in general and feel as its a shared garden, I am 'allowed' to let her out. she does get walks etc regularly, and generally tends to be first/last thing she is out quickly in the garden.

Am I entitled in a shared garden to allow my dog to pee? The garden is no beauty anyway, I would understand if it was an award winner but it was a dump when I moved in!

Thanks for reading
sybtik

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Shared garden - neighbour complaints

Postby juliet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:14 pm

If you share the garden and your dogs pee is ruining the grass (which it usually does) then the complainant probably has a point even if it was wasn't up to kew garden standards to start with. Not being a great standard isnt usually a green light to cause more damage. You could start by checking with the landlord and what their position is - probably Ok so long as not causing a problem/damage.

If Ok with the LL and to stop more damage, when your dog pees on the grass you should water the patch to weaken the pee - also try walking the dog first and getting them to pee elsewhere. There are products that you can give your dog that stop the pee killing the grass and I have heard that ketchup on the dogs food works well but never tested that of course!
juliet

Postby sybtik » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks.

Its not really the fact the garden was a dump to start off with, although this was the case. He is bullying and intimidating me into not using the SHARED garden where there are 2 other tenants with dogs that use that area and he has failed to speak to them about this issue he seems to have. He has been watching me out his window every time I let her in the garden and practically runs outside to corner me. I have LL's permission to have the dog and as mentioned as its a shared garden, surely I have as much right as the other dog owners to use that space???
sybtik

Postby despair » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:49 am

Bullies always pick on those they see as weak or vulnerable

hence you either need to stand up to him and tell him you have every right to do the same as the other dog owners or you steadfastly ignore his very existance
do not make eye contact or grimace or acknowledge he even exists

sooner or later he will pick on someone else or go so OTT that the landlord or the police will be involved
despair

Postby juliet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Could it be that the other dogs are 'dogs' as opposed to bitches and not doing as much damage? Or is it that he just has a problem with you? If the latter then do as despair says.
juliet

Postby Clifford Pope » Wed May 09, 2012 9:21 am

It doesn't sound a very pleasant garden with all those dogs peeing in it. I'm not surprised he is cross.
Clifford Pope

Return to Animals