Soggy doggy (Blitz)

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Soggy doggy (Blitz)

Postby jonahinoz » Mon May 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi,

Blitz gets very excited when traveling in the car. This results in him drooling saliva, and barking when car is moving. The combination turns him into something akin to a giant water pistol with Gattling capability. On one occasion he barked continouusl;y from Dinan to Calais, took a rest through the Tunnel, than resumed from Dover to Swansea. About 600 miles and twelve hours. To stop him spraying the windscreen of my Land Rover Discovery, he travels in a proper cage INSIDE a plywood box. We have to accept the inside of the rear door getting wet and sticky.

The tray in the bottom of his cage finishes up swimming in saliva, not just wet, its tidal. Strips of carpet help, but are quickly rolled up. Old towels are better, as they are more absorbant, but again, they finish up in a bundle. Both get a bit "niffy" if not removed from the car at the end of the jouney.

We have tried DAP (Dog Appeasement Pheronomes ?) with no noticable effect. A drug that was supposed to reduce his nervous tensions seemed to make him worse. The vet gave us a sedative ..... give one hour before journey, give again after an hour if necessary, and again after another hour if necessary. No more than three doses. The first dose seemed to have no effect, and I wasn't happy about giving him more. He loves traveling by car, which is a shame, cos we try to avoid taking him.

Problem. We are going away for a few days, dogs not allowed in hotel, so he will be living in the Discovery. The shrink told us that something traumatic happened to him before he was dumped on the local police station, at three months. He is now six years, but we are reluctant to make him feel abandoned by putting him in kennels. Also there is the cost and discomfort of the Kennel Cough inoculation, and the cost of the kennels. He is happy to be left alone in his travel box, just goes to sleep.

Can anyone suggest a suitable liner for his box? It will have to be stiff enough to remain flat on the floor. Indigestable. Preferably as absorbant as those sanitary products that are advertised on TV (for babies :lol: ), but at the same time waterproof. Cheap enough to dispose of daily, or better still, machine washable .... assuming the hotel don't mind (or don't know).

I supose we could buy a trailer horsebox and a few bales of straw. A horse would be so much easier.

jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Soggy doggy (Blitz)

Postby juliet » Mon May 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Aw....find a doggie friendly hotel :) Have you not got any doggie foster carers nearby?
juliet

Postby Mattylad » Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm thinking along the lines of a horse nose bag... :)
Mattylad

Postby jonahinoz » Tue May 15, 2012 6:23 am

Aw....find a doggie friendly hotel Have you not got any doggie foster carers nearby?

Hi,

Purpose of the trip is Barbara's 70th birthday prezzy ...... track test an Aston Martin and a Ferrari at Silverstone. We have spent hours searching the web looking for a dog friendly hotel. Lots listed, not so many in in real life. No point in looking now, hotel is booked.

I'm thinking along the lines of a horse nose bag...

A plastic bag would be cheaper :D

Actually, I'm warming to my idea of a trailer horse box, I need a trailer anyway. Just off to scan Ebay before discussing the idea with SWMBO.

jonahinoz

Postby Midori » Sun May 27, 2012 8:44 pm

How do you intend to keep the dog from cooking in the car? Because dogs cannot sweat in the same way we do, they are prone to heatstroke and death even in wel-ventilated cars. Animal care Agencies such as the RSPCA prosecute drivers regularly for leaving dogs in hot cars.

Not entirely sure where your holiday will be, but it would be kinder to put him in kennels.
Midori

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:30 am

Hi,

Well, that went OK. Anybody remember that week-end? It "persisted" down with rain. The difficult bit was getting Blitz out of the car, he doesn't like rain. We were staying at a B&B, so we were with Blitz during the day, and he got walked every two hours in the evenings. On the day that my wife was comparing a Ferrari with an Astin Martin, round Silverstone, my daughter took a day's "work at home", so he enjoyed that too.

I used to have two GSDs, who would howl in anguish (as only GSDs can) if I left them in my Land Rover .... but only while they could see me. One day I returned to find an "Old Biddy" (affectionate term - I'm an Old Codger) taking my registration, watched by two now quiet dogs. I had to get them out the car to introduce them before she would accept that they were not distressed. I had been away for all of about three minutes.

OT ..., the test drives were a 70th birthday prezzy for my wife. Don crash helmet, climb into car (quick lesson in "paddle" gear change in Ferrari) and away into the traffic, hit 120mph, three laps, back into pits to change cars. My wife reckons it was her best prezzy ever, although she found the Aston cumbersome, so that is no longer on her wish list (So my ploy was 50% successful :roll: )
jonahinoz

Return to Animals