This happened in the park....

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

This happened in the park....

Postby catapult1 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:33 am

and not anyones home/garden but thought i would get others opinion anyway.

A young boy (8yrs) was in the local park playing football with his dad when a young dog, not on a lead, came bounding up to the boy. The boy is in general afraid of dogs and stands still with his arms by his sides (so that the dog realises he doesn't want to play).

Because the dog is making a bee line for him and is only 3ft from him he panics and throws the ball away to distract the dog from himslef. The dog then grabs the ball chews it a bit pucturing it and runs off with it shaking it in his mouth.

The boy is obviously upset 1. favourate ball ruined 2. he thought the dog would have gone for him. His dad is angry and shouts at the dog owner to keep it undercontrol. The dad is not usualy a swearer but under the circumstances may have sworn!!

The dog owner puts the dog on a lead and (from all accounts) rushed off to her car and just about managed a sorry what can I do he's only a puppy.

Eventually, after publicity in the local papers and parish council website and realising they knew the mother, the owner came forward and basicly said "he's a puppy and still in training, here's a better ball so he can't burst it again oh and by the way you should tell your husband to not swear in front of your children".

My opinion is that the dog owner is in the wrong and should have had the dog on a lead to start with if it wasn't properly trained and not try to make excuses afterwards.

I just wonder if dog owners have a different opinion to a non dog owner?
Does the fact the dog did this mean it is out of control or just not under control?
Should the dog owner been more mindful of the fact the dog wasn't trained and in a play park area where lots of children play ball games and it should have been on a leash?
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
catapult1

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: This happened in the park....

Postby mugwump » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:03 am

My opinion is that it was a gross overreaction to put it in the local papers and the parish council website.
mugwump

Postby catapult1 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:55 am

Possibly. But as an eight year old he couldn't understand why the dog owner allowed her dog to act in that way and wanted the parish council to put a notice up to ask all dog owners to keep their dogs under control. The local press got hold of it and ran with it so it wasn't as if they went out of their way to get publicity. That just happened.

Also what do you think should have happened? The dog owner was unknown and there was no way of, at the very least, for them to be brough to book so to speak.

The boy felt it was akin to (but obviously in a different way) allowing bad behaviour to go unpunished. If a yob came up to you and took your mobile and broke it, would you just accept a shrug and "oh well" and the perpitrator just walks off. Would you be willing to accept that next time it might be a punch in the face and a purse taken from someone. Does that deserve a shrug and an "oh well"?

An eight year old, who admitedly does not particuly like dogs, shouldn't have to put up with that behaviour and in all honesty I understand that he was also concerned that the next time he might get bitten and not forgetting his property was distroyed.

I can see how some may think it an overreaction but what about showing children that there are consequenses for bad behaviour whether people or dogs?
catapult1

Postby cloudyeyes » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:45 pm

It isn't an excuse that it's a puppy. The dog owner is legally obliged to keep it under control and if they know it isn't fully trained then it should be on a lead in public places, especially where there are children around. The father's reaction is understandable, prompted probably by fear for the child's safety. It really is none of the dog-owner's business whether he swears in front of his child. Perhaps someone should print off a copy of the DEFRA guide 'Control of Dogs, The Law and You', highlight the first page and post it through the dog owner's letterbox.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13573-dogs-law-you-leaflet-080515.pdf
cloudyeyes

Postby Sudynim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:51 am

catapult1 wrote:A young boy (8yrs) was in the local park playing football with his dad when a young dog, not on a lead, came bounding up to the boy. The boy is in general afraid of dogs and stands still with his arms by his sides (so that the dog realises he doesn't want to play).

Because the dog is making a bee line for him and is only 3ft from him

Had this been my son, the dog would've received a stout kick in the chops at this point.
Sudynim

Postby catapult1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:42 am

I know what you mean Sydnim. If I had been there the dog owner would have had more than just a few swear words to contend with.

It amazes me how dog owners can justify their dogs behavour and their poor ownership with excuses and false platitudes. At the end of the day which is more important a childs safety or a dogs right to run around and be a nusience?
catapult1

Postby oorya » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 am

Sudynim wrote:
catapult1 wrote:A young boy (8yrs) was in the local park playing football with his dad when a young dog, not on a lead, came bounding up to the boy. The boy is in general afraid of dogs and stands still with his arms by his sides (so that the dog realises he doesn't want to play).

Because the dog is making a bee line for him and is only 3ft from him

Had this been my son, the dog would've received a stout kick in the chops at this point.

If it had been me it wouldn't have been it's chops that would have got a stout kick. :twisted:
oorya

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:22 pm

It seems strange that there is no law that states all dogs must be kept on a lead in public. There is only a law which states dogs must be kept under control. I would imagine you can report owners of dogs which are out of control and off a lead. That might prompt the dog owner to take their responsibility more seriously.

As it stands, owners can justify their dog being off the lead by saying they are friendly. But this is not 100% certain, and I can understand a parent being furious when a dog, no matter how small and friendly, jumps at their child.

Knowing that a friendly dog can turn, this should always be in mind when taking them out in public. It is ok for the dog owner to take the risk with their own children, but not with others.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby cloudyeyes » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:40 pm

I don't think it matters what the owner thinks about the dog. It's what the 'victim' thinks (my bold):

"Any dog is dangerously out of control if:
• it injures a person, or
it behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them."
cloudyeyes

Postby appledore » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:05 pm

I don't think anyone can say their dog is under control unless it is on a lead. When our son was small he was frightened to death by a dog jumping up at him. The owner said it was under control and said the usual 'he won't bite', yet he couldn't even see the dog when it ran at our son and jumped up at him.

I'm not frightened of dogs, but I'm not a dog fan, and I get annoyed when someone allows their dog to jump up and slobber all over me. I don't like to see children cuddling dogs, it only takes a second for a dog to turn and a child could be scarred for life.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 pm

When my brother was bitten by the family dog, I knew from an early age that dogs can be unpredictable. A bite can come from just over excitement, or fear. A kid screams, and the dog suddenly gets alarmed. Many dogs that have ripped children apart have done so after a high pitched scream.

I know not all dogs are extremely dangerous, but even a small dog can be a handful. I walked a small dog for a while on a harness. It used to go for prams! You just don't know. :shock:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:33 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:. It used to go for prams! You just don't know. :shock:

That's maybe what put you off prams Will. :wink: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:. It used to go for prams! You just don't know. :shock:

That's maybe what put you off prams Will. :wink: :lol:

Hi apples. It isn't just the pram that is a nuisance, it is the stinking little puke faces in them. :lol: :lol:

Today whilst walking back to the car, there was an old guy in a cool looking motorised vehicle. He obviously needed it to get around, but it was part of a Harley Davidson at the front. He was really old, but was heckling people, you just had to be there. But I laughed at him and he did a little speed towards me...no Harley Davidson engine fitted...I kept laughing and walked faster than his wheelie bin with giant handle bars. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:37 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Today whilst walking back to the car, there was an old guy in a cool looking motorised vehicle. He obviously needed it to get around, but it was part of a Harley Davidson at the front. He was really old, but was heckling people, you just had to be there. But I laughed at him and he did a little speed towards me...no Harley Davidson engine fitted...I kept laughing and walked faster than his wheelie bin with giant handle bars. :mrgreen:

I can picture it Will. :lol: It annoys me when they come charging along the pavement pipping their horns, expecting everyone to get out of the way.

A man comes into our local supermarket, jumps on the mobility scooter provided by the shop, asks people to get him things from the top shelves, then the woman on the checkout packs his bags for him. Then he drives to the door, parks the scooter, jumps off, grabs his bags of shopping and runs across the carpark to his car. :lol:

I thought of you this morning when I saw the Nutella.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:52 pm

appledore wrote:A man comes into our local supermarket, jumps on the mobility scooter provided by the shop, asks people to get him things from the top shelves, then the woman on the checkout packs his bags for him. Then he drives to the door, parks the scooter, jumps off, grabs his bags of shopping and runs across the carpark to his car. :lol:

I thought of you this morning when I saw the Nutella.

Teeheeee everyone asks my hubby to reach things for them when we go to the supermarket, he is tall so can reach places others cannot reach. Image :lol:

Awwww nutella...I'll eat some now seeing as you thought of me and the yummy chocolate stuff...shame to waste the kind thought! :D

It is so funny because when I buy apples, I can't help but giggle about our bantering. :lol: I bet if you were an apple, you would be a pink lady. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals