Dog urine smells

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Dog urine smells

Postby Keepitlegal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 am

We have a neighbour with 3 boxer dogs, they are let out to roam their patio all day every day, the patio is 6 feet from our kitchen door.

We had environmental health out last year who took photos of the dog mess and sent a letter to the neighbour telling them the faeces had to be picked up every day (at the time they picked it up about once a week).

They have picked up the waste every day until the last few weeks, and the smell is disgusting.

They obviously don't use their garden at this time of the year so the urine is never being hosed away, and what makes it worse is that the patio flagstones are not smooth so the urine pools on the surface.

Environmental health have said they can do nothing about the urine only the faeces, so does anyone know of any substance or chemical I put down next to the fence to mask these smells.

TIA

Keepitlegal
Keepitlegal

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Dog urine smells

Postby cloudyeyes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:54 pm

I very much doubt there is anything you can use outdoors to mask the smell. Masking agents will only work in an enclosed space, not outdoors where there is significant air movement. You could try planting a selection of plants - evergreens with aromatic leaves and different heavily scented flowers to cover as much of the season as possible but I suspect they will harldy dent the surface of the stink, the source of which is being replenished daily.

You need to tackle the problem at source. i'm guessing your neighbours aren't approachable - if they don't care about the smell for themselves they probably don't care about others. Are they owners (freehold or leasehold) or tenants?
cloudyeyes

Postby Keepitlegal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Cloudyeyes

They own the house (mortgaged at the moment), they don't speak to us or any other families in the cul-de-sac (there are 7 houses), we have other problems with them, some of which I have asked advice for on this forum.

I had considered going to the police station to ask for advice as I consider this to be anti-social, but I fear they will say is not a police matter.

I had a neighbour from across the road in my back garden yesterday, he knew we had problems with them but was amazed at the sight and smell through the fence, his comment was, "they are living like pigs" but then went on to say that we an insult to pigs.

Planting shrubs would be a problem as the area around my back door is the only access I have to take out our wheelie bins, also when they do hose down their patio because it is at a higher level than ours all the liquid runs onto our soil, I am no gardener but I don't think plants/shrubs would thrive on that.

Keepitlegal
Keepitlegal

Postby Keepitlegal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Cloudyeyes

The property is freehold. The original builder was taken over by Persimmons Homes, I have asked for them in past about covenants on this estate which, I am led to believe are also attached to freehold properties, to be adhered to, unfortunately they are not interested and told me to seek legal advice.

Keepitlegal
Keepitlegal

Postby cloudyeyes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm

I think you need to plug away at EH. I don't know what council you're with but here's the page from Birmingham - smells can be a Statutory Nuisance so they should be prepared to investigate. Quote the legislation at them.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=CustomerServices-SelfService%2FCFPageLayout&cid=1223291232119&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FCFWrapper
cloudyeyes

Postby Keepitlegal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for that cloudyeyes, I have looked at the act and it appears the council can do something about the smell, I will contact Environmental Health and ask for another visit to point out the problems.

I will keep you posted as to what happens.

Thanks again

Keepitlegal
Keepitlegal

Postby easyboss » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:34 am

Keepitlegal wrote:Thanks for that cloudyeyes, I have looked at the act and it appears the council can do something about the smell, I will contact Environmental Health and ask for another visit to point out the problems.

Thanks again

Keepitlegal

Try this. Some in a spray bottle over affected areas should do good for you.

http://www.taylormclure.co.uk/bio-k20-p ... -122-p.asp
easyboss

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:50 am

easyboss wrote:
Keepitlegal wrote:Thanks for that cloudyeyes, I have looked at the act and it appears the council can do something about the smell, I will contact Environmental Health and ask for another visit to point out the problems.

Thanks again

Keepitlegal

Try this. Some in a spray bottle over affected areas should do good for you.

http://www.taylormclure.co.uk/bio-k20-p ... -122-p.asp
you're over three years late with this help :roll:
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Animals