what is pooping on lawn?

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

what is pooping on lawn?

Postby CoffeeDrinker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Cat owners here say cats only poop in earth and cover it. I have something pooping on my lawn-not covered- and cannot be dog as there is a four foot fence. I live in an estate but there is fields and trees around. Some people have said hedgehogs. How can I tell? I have a camera but not night vision on it. I need to cut my lawn and tidy and work on flower beds but dealing woith that just turns my stomach. Not good with that stuff at all

i have to get rid before i start on gardening. Any suggestions welcome but o my knowledge that get off does not work
CoffeeDrinker

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: what is pooping on lawn?

Postby Geometer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Probably a fox, possibly a hedgehog. If you really want a definite ID, and you can steel yourself, take a photograph and post it on this site: http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/
To get rid, dig a hole in flower bed, scrape the item up with a shovel and bury.
Geometer

Postby CoffeeDrinker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Geometer wrote:Probably a fox, possibly a hedgehog. If you really want a definite ID, and you can steel yourself, take a photograph and post it on this site: http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/
To get rid, dig a hole in flower bed, scrape the item up with a shovel and bury.

I would not dig a hole i find it so disgusting i have to dig out the grass it is on. Leaving it there draws them by scent

two holes in my garden now and put out bottles which did not make a difference. Fox could not get over fence, hedgehog may get under it in parts

i also do not want pieces of lemon peel in my lawn
CoffeeDrinker

Postby Mojisola » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:11 pm

A four foot fence wouldn't stop a fox.

Do any of these pictures match the offerings on your lawn?
www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=uk%20wi ... 0QXC8IGoBQ
Mojisola

Postby CoffeeDrinker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Mojisola wrote:A four foot fence wouldn't stop a fox.

Do any of these pictures match the offerings on your lawn?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... 0QXC8IGoBQ

hard to say if pictures match. gpoing to cut grass at back do something could not go around the crap yuck. weak stomach!
CoffeeDrinker

Postby arsie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Can you set up a temporary PIR floodlight? Might put off the fox(s).
arsie

Postby tarren » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Cats deposit their filth on grass despite what the cat brigade might say.
tarren

Postby appledore » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 pm

If you live next to fields then the p** could be from any number of animals. A four foot fence won't keep foxes or large dogs out of your garden. Hedgehod p** is quite thin and dark. Fox p** is often spiral and resembles a walnut whip. Sorry if I've put you off walnut whips for life. :)

I'd just wear some rubber gloves, hold my breath, dig a hole and dispose of it.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby CoffeeDrinker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 pm

tarren wrote:Cats deposit their filth on grass despite what the cat brigade might say.
I am not only going by cat brigade. several sources say they bury it unless old/sick or a male staking territory in search of female in heat. it is filth i agree and will stop here very soon. I read some ways of keeping them away and reviews of varying degrees of success and wonder why should people who do not have them spend money to keep someone elses cat away
CoffeeDrinker

Postby COGGY » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 pm

We had this problem on our lawn. We used a cat scarer and at present do not have any trouble at all. There is a cat scarer which does not deter birds. We didn't have it (borrowed one from our daughter) but would buy it if the problem returned. Also my other half scared the cat with loud noises. It only has to see him now and scarpers.
COGGY

Postby CoffeeDrinker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:30 pm

COGGY wrote:We had this problem on our lawn. We used a cat scarer and at present do not have any trouble at all. There is a cat scarer which does not deter birds. We didn't have it (borrowed one from our daughter) but would buy it if the problem returned. Also my other half scared the cat with loud noises. It only has to see him now and scarpers.
Is a cat scarer the black metal cat like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Betterware-Weat ... cr_pr_pb_t ?
CoffeeDrinker

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 am

Hi,

As a lad, I noticed cats squatting over holes they had dug in the flower beds, and then religiously covering over whatever they had deposited. I haven't noticed any cats doing this in recent years .... possibly because they now all have indoor facilities .... the litter tray.

If I was a cat expected to dig a hole in 1/2" thick, saturated litter, I too might feel inclined to find myself a comfortable lawn.

OT, but horses are very appreciative of a nice clean toilet .... muck out their stable, lay fresh straw, and they will promptly express their gratitude by "using" it while you are there to watch. Doh!

John W
jonahinoz

Postby appledore » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:12 pm

We had a huge heap on our back lawn yesterday. :shock: It looked like dog p**, but it must have been a big dog.
We had problems a while ago with our neighbour's dogs coming in to do their business. We thought we'd blocked all the ways in, but it looks like we were wrong. :x
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Animals