Dog barking nusiance

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Dog barking nusiance

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:30 am

Hi,

At what level does dog barking become a legal nusiance? Er ... my dog.

My dog Blitz is excitable, and barks when excited. he has a rather penetrating bark. We try to stop him ASAP, which may not always be immediately. He is not barking consistently, but maybe severtal times a day, sometimes for several seconds, sometimes for half a minute.

A squadron of sparrows frequently settle in a bush outside our back door, and have an ear-splitting squabble. Blitz tries to climb up to join in, barking as he does so. We call him in as soon as we hear him. I do not anticipate any problems with our neighbours. Our next door neighbour says she never hears him bark, when he is home alone

But when we visit my daughter's house, its a different matter. He is not allowed into the garden, and does not bark when going walkies. But when the grandchildren come into the room, he greets them at the top of his voice. The Old Biddy next door has let it be known that she does not like this noise, and constantly comments, but so far has not made a specific complaint. I feel like telling her that if she has any complaints, she should address them to the council. By the time they do anything, we will be back in Wales. We only visit our daughter for weekends, every couple of months. We try to be considerate, within our self imposed constaints.

The Old Biddy does not like cats, either. She has been seen collecting cat "exhaust", wrapping it up, and leaving at my daughter's gate. That item, at least, was not attributal; to my daughter's cat. My daughter believes the her cat (very old) uses only the litter tray.

Any advice, please?

jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Dog barking nusiance

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 am

The neighbour is being unreasonable really. If she complained to the council, they would require evidence of a nuisance, which by the sounds of it they would not be able to get. As for the cat poop, as long as she wraps it nicely and brings it to the gate, I would bin it and ignore her. She has become a child again and is seeking attention, that is what happens to some elderly people when dementia or when irritableoldperson syndrome sets in.

If she is nice enough other than the animal moans it might be best to just apologise if the dog barks occasionally. Life is too short, especially for her. What would work is burying her up to her neck for an hour in a ton of poop, with a poop dipped cotton wool ball up each nostril. Then bounce the poopy bag on her head for a while singing how much is that doggy in the window.. but that is illegal unfortunately. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby COGGY » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:46 am

That does seem a little over the top for a little old lady. lol :roll:
COGGY

Postby kipper » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Why not train your dog to not be so excitable and bark? I think a lot of non dog owners/lovers would find it annoying.
kipper

Postby appledore » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:24 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:irritableoldperson syndrome sets in.

:

I suffer from that unfortunately. It's not too bad at the moment, but getting worse by the day. :mrgreen:

Can't stand yappy dogs.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:irritableoldperson syndrome sets in.

I suffer from that unfortunately. It's not too bad at the moment, but getting worse by the day. :mrgreen:

Can't stand yappy dogs.

We all do a bit I think, regardless of age! :lol:

I don't like yappy dogs, I like a dog to bark, not yap. If we were choosing a dog, we would sound check them all for suitable gruff! :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:34 pm

COGGY wrote:That does seem a little over the top for a little old lady. lol :roll:

It could be worse... granny could be smoking it! :arrow: http://www.lolpix.com/_pics/Funny_Pictu ... _34212.jpg :lol: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby arborlad » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm

jonahinoz wrote: I feel like telling her that if she has any complaints, she should address them to the council.

...................strange, a lot of the complaints that appear on this forum seem to take the opposite tack - why did they go to council/solicitor, when they should have come straight to me?

Dogs can be taught to bark on command, they can also be taught not to.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:08 am

Dogs can be taught to bark on command, they can also be taught not to.

Hi,

I've had two GSDs ... they were easy compared to Blitz. We have taken him to a dog shrink (£££), we have taken him to dog classes, to little effect. He is the canine equivalent of "Kevin", apart from the fact that he loves everybody ... "Oh look, a new friend, I go and give them a Dino type greeting!" Thats Dino, as in the Flintstones. He doesn't do "gentle" and he doesn't understand pain, his or yours. He doesn't yap, but his bark is piercing.

I think if Old Biddy did complain to the council, they would consider Blitz to be a mild, occasional, annoyance, but not a nuisance.

JW
jonahinoz

Postby COGGY » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 am

As this lady is your daughter's neighbour, the problem should really be dealt with by your daughter. You only visit every few months, so should be able to smile and apologise if the neighbour complains to you. Suggesting that she complains to the Council would cause more problems for your daughter.

Many people who like dogs are not happy to hear continual barking. If you, who love your dog, find it hard to deal with, imagine how it is for this old lady.
COGGY

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:23 am

We had two dogs growing up and they were taken to obedience classes, neither one of them would learn much, and there was never a way of turning the volume down when they went outside. Every time they saw a cat they would go ballistic! We would quickly try and bring them inside, but we couldn't stop the short bursts of barking. I dare say they were a little bit of a nuisance to the neighbours, but they never said anything.

Sometimes you can try everything to keep dogs quiet, but they do love to bark and you can't be with them every time they go into the garden. I think with dogs comes barking, and you can only try over time to keep their excitement quiet.

It sounds like you are already trying to keep him quiet, I think that's all you can do and apologise to the neighbour if she complains.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby COGGY » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 pm

WILL "REMAIN" STRONG I have just looked at your earlier post. How did you get my photo? lol :)
COGGY

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 pm

COGGY wrote:WILL "REMAIN" STRONG I have just looked at your earlier post. How did you get my photo? lol :)

:lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Animals