Neighbours cats

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Neighbours cats

Postby annoyedneighbour » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 am

This is something which is really really frustrating me.

I have 2-3 cats who do their business in my garden. I have actually seen 2 of them do it, but there is always a 3rd cat in my garden so it could be 3.

Ive put down something which is cats are supposed to not like the smell of and they basically walked straight over it.

My mates bring their kids around and summer is on its way so thats one point.
When im cutting the grass, unless im permanently looking i might stand in it or send it everywhere with the mower.

But aside from that, why should i have to clean up someone elses pets crap!

I only know who one of the cats belong to and thats the only one i have not caught doing anything. Im not going to make accusations without being in the know but even if i did know - what would it do? Can i do anything?

From what i can gather there are no laws to prevent cat owners from letting their cats just go and do what they like all day leaving it to others to sort out.

But of a rant there mixed in with a few questions - sorry but hopefully i can get something better than make your garden air tight, that may keep them out.
annoyedneighbour

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours cats

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi annoyed,

We are faced with a similar challenge - about six cats frequent our garden.

We've tried a few things, most of which have seen limited results.

Our next solution will be put in place very soon - chicken wire pegged flat to the ground.
The idea being the cats won't be able to comfortably perform their pre-toilet scratting (my word for it).
The lawn will grow through it and mowing won't be a problem.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Geometer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 am

The only 100% effective ways of keeping neighbours' cats out of a garden are either to get your own cat, or get a dog. You might, however, find some of the suggestions here helpful: http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forum ... arden.html
Geometer

Postby ukmicky » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 pm

As it is in your grass are you sure its not foxes who will do it anywhere. Cats tend to normally go p oo in earth as they like to cover it up afterwards
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Janieb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

ukmicky wrote:As it is in your grass are you sure its not foxes who will do it anywhere. Cats tend to normally go p oo in earth as they like to cover it up afterwards

My dogs were blamed for p00ing on the terraces row. I knew it wasn't them as on the odd occasion it happened I immediately picked it up. P00 is still appearing on the row even though I have now fenced it off so that my dogs can't get there. This is a very rural area so I can only assume it is foxes. My dogs are still being blamed. The whole situation with one of my neighbours means that I prefer to put puppy mats indoors for my dogs and my once beautiful garden is now a jungle because I'm scared to go out in it which makes the neighbour I'm talking about even more incensed.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby despair » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:00 pm

foxes doings are very dark /black

and yes some cats do crap and not cover it up and the threat of infection for all animal crap is a big problem that is not taken seriously enough
despair

Postby COGGY » Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi JanieB

Please do not allow your neighbours to intimidate you. Please go into your garden, if necessary wearing earphones with music playing. Your garden is for you to enjoy. Enjoy it.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby arborlad » Fri May 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Fox droppings are usually pointed at one end.

Their colour can be anything from white to black, depending on the diet.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby elsid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:35 pm

We never had a problem with cats defecating in our back garden until approximately 3 months ago when we suspected the cat of our new neighbour had started to mark its territory by defecating on our lawn. During this time we have had to clean up after it but I wanted to wait and get positive proof to show them as they are a bit 'stuck up' and I just knew they would deny their cat was responsible. Yesterday I set my Android phone with a time-lapse camera app to video the back garden while we were out. I then edited the video to a very short clip lasting just 9 seconds but it clearly shows the arrival of their cat who then defecates on the lawn in an area it has used many times before. In real time the whole incident took only 12 seconds for cat to appear, lay a cable and then make a swift exit. Now I know how quickly these things dump, its no wonder we have not seen him do one before.

I paid a visit to my next door neighbour and told him his cat was dumping on my lawn. Just as thought, he immediately and vigorously denied his cat was responsible saying they have a cat litter tray in the house and so it must be another cat that is the same colour. I pointed out that we never had a cat problem until his cat came along, but he remained adamant it was not his cat. So I then showed him the video and suddenly he was speechless. I asked him to help us stop the cat using my lawn and buy cat replant, to which he eventually agreed. I'll let you know how it pans out. :wink:

As a foot note, does anyone know if its against the law to throw my neighbours cat crap over the fence onto their lawn, similar to when you are allowed to throw back fallen branches. After all, it is their property.

Last edited by elsid on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsid

Postby despair » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:19 pm

You are NOT ALLOWED to throw back branches or anything else

you can OFFER back the arisings of trees and bushes but they can decline and you then need to dispose of them

i have to wonder where this nonsense of throwing stuff back came from
despair

Postby elsid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:33 pm

OK thanks for the fast reply, Looks like the law is an ass after all.
So let me get this straight. I have to allow the cat to crap on my lawn as I cannot harm it in any way. I have then to clean up the mess even though there is always some residue in the grass which makes it unsafe for my son or anyone else to use the garden. I then have to buy cat repellent in the hope that it will work but having read reports here it probably wont. And all the time my neighbour is sitting in their crap free garden with big cheesy grins.
elsid

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi elsid,

I have to allow the cat to crap on my lawn

it's not going to ask your permission...

I cannot harm it in any way

who told you that?

I then have to buy cat repellent...

says who?

have you looked into my proposed solution at all?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby elsid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:41 pm

No MacadamB53 I have not read your solution as I cannot find the link.
elsid

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:52 pm

elsid wrote:No MacadamB53 I have not read your solution as I cannot find the link.

Hi elsid,

if you're going to jump onto someone else's thread, the least you could do is read it first ;)

look back to the start of this thread to see my proposed solution.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby elsid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:
if you're going to jump onto someone else's thread, the least you could do is read it first ;)

look back to the start of this thread to see my proposed solution.

Kind regards, Mac

I had read your thread but forgot. Chicken wire? :roll: Your thread was two months ago, so did you implement it? Have thought about electrifying the chicken wire, that might work.
elsid

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals