Sick cat

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Sick cat

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi,

My daughter's old cat has a lump on it's belly. We noticed that the skin over the lump had perforated, was dripping, and what we could see inside was pale yellow. We took her to the vet.

The vet examined her, asked us to wait outside while her took a blood sample. About 20 minutes later she called us back, said the blood test was clear. She gave my daughter some medicine, said we would discuss chemotherapy next visit, and charged £150.

As a layman, should I expect blood testing to be done "in house", in less than twenty minutes.

As a layman, should the mention of chemopherapy start to ring Cancer bells?

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Sick cat

Postby COGGY » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi

Did the vet say when to come back? This sounds peculiar to me. It may be possible to do a blood test so quickly, but why did you have to wait outside and if the cat needs treatment why has it not already started? Have you used this vet before? £150 sounds really expensive to me for not much. Have you asked around to find out if anyone else has used this vet and what they thought? If the blood test is clear why does the cat need treatment? Is there a Vetinary Ombudsman person you can go to? My daughter got a kitten for her children last summer. She has taken it to the vet for normal cat things and it has not cost anything like £150.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby despair » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:12 pm

No way should you have a bill like that for the cat
any competant vet knows just looking whether its cancer or not and in an old cat the humane thing to do is put it to sleep
putting it through chemotherapy is not sensible
despair

Postby COGGY » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi Despair
I agree with you, but can cats have an abcess? I have not heard of it but it may be in which case it would not need chemo.
Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby jonahinoz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:17 am

Hi,

Thanks for replies, which do seem to support my suspicions. My daughter had to leave a couple of hours later, for an overnight "do" arranged by her staff, leaving us to child mind, and now cat-sit. I'll discuss it with her when she returns.

The cat does not seem distressed, nor in pain, but did already seem confused (compulsive washing her face that she only washed a few minutes go). She seldom moves out of the kitchen, unless it is to go and lie in the sun.

No, my daughter has not used this vet before, things like that were normally dealt with by her husband, who has "moved on". My daughter does not drive, we live 150 miles away. We chose this particular vet, as we knew of it, as it is part of a national chain. once we return home, my daughter will have to add taxi fares to the treatment costs.

I cannot recall the vet saying when she next wanted to see the cat. I will check that with my daughter, maybe see if we can find a vet closer to home.

I agree, euthanasia is probably the kindest thing to do. The cat will not be aware that there will not be a tomorrow, but we will be depriving her of the joys that tomorrow should bring ... if any.

Our stupidly healthy dog (30kg) started to have fits, collapsed, confused, but semi-conscious. Our vet talked us through it, recommended blood tests, (same £150), which involved fasting him overnight, then leaving him at the vet ... take blood sample, give him special meal, wait a couple of hours, take another sample ... and wait week for the results. There was nothing found that would cause his fits. The vet mentioned brain scans ... also mentioned they would cost four figures. We declined, but asked about medicine. The vet said not to bother, unless fits become more frequent/severe. We trust him.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:59 am

Hi,

There is a little egg on my face ... my SWMBO has informed me that there was a £50 for out of hours consultation. I knew my daughter phoned just a the surgery was closing. I assumed that the vet would stay late out of goodwill. Silly me!

I'm used to a country practice, where the vet expected me to hold the horse's leg out of the way while he converted my stallion into a gelding. My neighbour's daughter came home to find us operating on her father's lawn, with "bits" lying around. Her face was a picture.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby appledore » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:37 pm

One of our cats had to have some blood tests.. They took him out the back and came back with a long list of results a short while later. I can remember wondering why they can get blood results so quickly at the vets when we have to wait days at our GPs.

It does sound like an abscess to me. I wouldn't put a cat through chemotherapy.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby alyson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:55 pm

appledore wrote:One of our cats had to have some blood tests.. They took him out the back and came back with a long list of results a short while later. I can remember wondering why they can get blood results so quickly at the vets when we have to wait days at our GPs.

The vet will have his own instruments which will provide the results in minutes if not seconds. Your GP will take the blood, send it to the lab, usually a once a day pick up for the sample, and the lab will process it, comment and send the results back to the GP. Hence the different timescales.
I used to work in hospital labs so I am familiar with the procedure.
alyson

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:30 pm

alyson wrote:[quote="appledoreThe vet will have his own instruments which will provide the results in minutes if not seconds. Your GP will take the blood, send it to the lab, usually a once a day pick up for the sample, and the lab will process it, comment and send the results back to the GP. Hence the different timescales.

Hi Alyson. I used to work in a hospital too so I know the long drawn out procedure when we have blood taken at our GP's surgery. Perhaps it would be a good idea if our GPs had their own instruments then we could get speedy results like our pets. :D
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby alyson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:24 pm

appledore wrote:
alyson wrote:[quote="appledoreThe vet will have his own instruments which will provide the results in minutes if not seconds. Your GP will take the blood, send it to the lab, usually a once a day pick up for the sample, and the lab will process it, comment and send the results back to the GP. Hence the different timescales.

Hi Alyson. I used to work in a hospital too so I know the long drawn out procedure when we have blood taken at our GP's surgery. Perhaps it would be a good idea if our GPs had their own instruments then we could get speedy results like our pets. :D

Be careful what you wish for!
In my experience getting the right sample in the correct bottle in optimum condition is a big ask for the average GP!
Calibrating and cleaning a precision instrument is a whole other ballgame!
alyson

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:47 am

Hi,

We are now back home, having told my daughter our feelings, and finding her a vet within walking distance. Not much more we can do. Thanks to everyone. Maybe my concerns were groundless.

Herewith a picture of the affected region, which was trimmed by the vet, and is now a lot drier than it was. Not the best picture, but I didn't want to disturb her by posing.

John W

Image[/URL]
jonahinoz

Postby Rosenberg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:35 pm

John, several years ago my cat had an abcess on her knee and it looked very much like that - almost identical in fact. If I remember correctly, the vet surgically removed the affected tissue (a pretty minor op.) and treated her with a short course of antibiotic tablets and 1 or 2 injections. She was right as rain a couple of days later. I hope things turn out OK for your daugher's cat.

Hope your dog is doing alright as well. Sometimes a fit only occurs as a one off, or very infrequently, but if it becomes a regular thing the vets can try medication. I know they put epileptic cats on Diazepam sometimes, and if that doesn't work, they try phenobarbitone (I believe the veterinary variety is called Epiphen). Another of my cats was on that medication for 14 years (ages 2 to 16). He stopped having fits as he got older (10), although that cessation did coincide with the time at which we stopped travelling with him in the car, so we don't know if there was any causal link there. I am sure your vet has advised you to keep your dog in a quiet and darkened room after a fit and to avoid too much mental stimulation.

Kind regards,
Rosenberg
Rosenberg

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 am

Hi Rosenberg,

We have heard no more about the cat. It's not mentioned in emails, but don't know if thjat is deliberate or just happens that way. Our daughter has enough on her plate, so we don't want to harrass her further. We are confident that she will do the right thing, but worry about her bankrupting herself in the process.

Blitz is still having his fits, but seems less concerned when he knows one is coming ... probably familiarity. The first sign we notice is that he will collapse ... very similar to the shots on TV of a cow suffering from Mad Cow Disease ... legs gong in all directions. Then he staggers round and round the room, or garden (we got rid of the pond), seemingly unaware of us. He might finish up in a corner, or he might collapse on his cushion. Yesterday, he wedged himself into the corner beside the downstairs WC. If on his feet, he is bobbing up and down. If lying down, it will be on his belly, hind legs each side of his body, front legs straight out in front. His rump will be bobbing up and down. His chin will be on the floor, with his tongue licking the floor. He does not lose conciousness, but he is "out of it". After a little while, he recovers, gets back to normal, albeit somewhat fatigued ... does not ask for his walk at the normal time. A fit lasts about 20 minutes, but on a couple of occasions, the symptoms have started, then he has snapped out of it. I have noticed that his fits frequently occur about mid-day (strong sunlight?), but not always. My SWMBO disagrees, says they occur at anytime ... which they do, I just think it more often at mid-day.

We got Blitz from the local Refuge. All we know is that somebody walked into a police station, dumped four pups, then legged it. All the pups were about 3 months old, and did not APPEAR to be related. We understand that at least one had an extremely heavy worm burden. Blitz had a huge lump on top of his head ... had somebody tried to rid of him the cheap way? It took several weeks for the bump to subside. Our vet said that it might be related to his fits ... or might not.

Whatever, Blitz does not seem unduly distressed , suffering, or incapacitated, so we will just wait and watch. He is now nine years old. ... people think we mean nine months, judging from his behaviour.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:05 am

Hi,

I have just heard from my daughter that her cat departed this mortal coil. I have no other details. I'm surprised, as she seemed to be improving last time I saw her.

Blitz threw a full-blown wobbly the day after we moved house. Unconcious, rigid, violent twitching. foaming at the mouth, tongue covered in blood, lost his bowels and bladder. Vet diagnosed Epilipsy, put him on phenobarbitone and something else. There have been no further big ones, but at least once a day, he becomes shaky, heads for the front door mat, and collapses for an hour or two. He is also worried if he is not near us, follows us everywhere.

I Googled Canine Epilipsy, found phenobaritone tablets are thee dollars for a hundred tablets ... in USA. Not in UK they're not.

Thanks for everyone's interest.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby appledore » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's cat. I hope your cat continues to improve.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals