Pond fish

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Pond fish

Postby smileymiles » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 am

This is a difficult one. About 4 months ago my neighbour came home at 4am banging the bins around and shouting outside our front door. It woke us up and we came down to see what the commotion was. When we opened the door our neighbour, shouted abuse at us, telling us he had had 6 years of hell with our garage door beeping every time it goes up and down. We gave since disarmed the safety beep.

Also he said we thought we had the best house in the street, he was sick of our Christmas lights and Halloween stuff and our flowers and plants. He started to get nasty and threatened my husband who had only just come out of the door after getting dresses. I called the police, who came and listened, they went to see him and he was well under the influence of whatever.

The police went and after a few minutes he came out again kicking the gate and fence, we stayed in and have not looked over their way since. He was complaining that I called the police to him and shouting and threatening. They are both teachers and we have not had any problems at all.

This brings me to the point of my problem. We have a large pond adjacent to their garden fence, we had a problem with the pump about 3 weeks ago, stopped working. We bought a new one and when my husband took the old pump to bits, he fiddles with stuff. It had a 4inch screw in the motor. We just thought it was random, but yesterday we vacuumed the bottom of the pond and pulled out 80 four inch screws. The neighbour is the only one with an access point to the pond, the garden is completely fenced in. I am thinking of going to the police as I don't want this to continue, I gave a dog and I am worried he may do something to him.

Can anyone give me some advice?

We have only ever said hello and good morning to these people, don't know what brought all this on.
Thanks in advance.
When is my next holiday?
smileymiles

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Pond fish

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi smileymiles,

my hunch is your neighbours are going through a tough time over something else and the chap is deflecting it in your direction (probably because your the nearest target).

have you been round for a chat - not about the rant but to show concern.

yesterday we vacuumed the bottom of the pond

when was last done?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby smileymiles » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi Mac

Thank you for your reply.

The pond had covers on at the time of the neighbours rant. They were taken off mid April. The pump broke mid June.
When is my next holiday?
smileymiles

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi smileymiles,

I was asking how regularly you vacuum the pond?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby humptydumpty » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:36 pm

Is it possible that a box of screws could have accidently been dropped into the pond, by a workman perhaps, or even accidently by your neighbour? Maybe they rested a box of screws on a fence top and they got knocked off............

............could be a perfectly innocent happening.
humptydumpty

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi humptydumpty,

............could be a perfectly innocent happening.

I think it's most likely indeed and probably was an accident as you suggest.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby smileymiles » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:21 am

Hi

Knocking screws off fence I would say is not possible. The pond is 1 metre from the edge of fence, so if knocked would fall down onto floor.

As far as workmen, not sure but the neighbours do not really look after their property. Don't do garden regularly or have much done, gutter has been hanging off two years.

Vacuuming pond.. It got done before covers went on, end October. Then again a week or so after covers came off.

I know you guys want to give neighbour benefit of doubt, but I am unsure if this was an act of malice against us.

What's wrong with Christmas lights anyway?
When is my next holiday?
smileymiles

Postby Treeman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:04 am

smileymiles wrote:Hi

Knocking screws off fence I would say is not possible. The pond is 1 metre from the edge of fence, so if knocked would fall down onto floor.

As far as workmen, not sure but the neighbours do not really look after their property. Don't do garden regularly or have much done, gutter has been hanging off two years.

Vacuuming pond.. It got done before covers went on, end October. Then again a week or so after covers came off.

I know you guys want to give neighbour benefit of doubt, but I am unsure if this was an act of malice against us.

If you have to ask you wouldn't understand
Treeman

Postby humptydumpty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 am

Treeman wrote:
smileymiles wrote:Hi

If you have toa ask you wouldn't understand

+1 But each to his own!
humptydumpty

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:51 am

Hi,

Covering your garden with CCTV might be an idea.

THEY are teachers, did you say?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:54 am

Hi smileymiles,

What's wrong with Motown classics anyway?

I suppose if I play them all hours and very loudly in a residential area it might make a difference...

IMHO the rant and the screws are not connected - have you been round for a chat yet?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby COGGY » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:07 am

Hi

How many Christmas lights do you have and how long are they used? Do you take them down or leave them up all year? Is it possible the neighbours are upset by flashing lights? What halloween stuff do you have. I have never seen a house with halloween stuff outside.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby appledore » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:48 pm

I like to see Christmas lights, but I think less is more. It's Halloween all year round next door to us. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby smileymiles » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi

Christmas lights around 2 weeks 3 trees with lights. Halloween nothing outside, just kids coming round, I do give them sweets. The neighbours turn all lights out and do not answer door.

As far as having best house in street, I am the only one with a garage, but can't help that, that's how I bought it, it came with the beeping door. I also have some flower pots and a bench.

They are both teachers. I have not been round to see them as he was very threatening and I don't think I could go through that again.
When is my next holiday?
smileymiles

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi smileymiles,

IMHO the rant and the screws are not connected - have you been round for a chat yet?

don't be scared - no matter how threatening he was during the rant I don't think he'd be the same at 18:00
(anything beyond shouty-shouty could be a career-ending move for a teacher anyway...)

just diffuse the situation by going round and saying (in a friendly, non-confrontational tone) "have you calmed down now? I just wanted to pop round and ask if you're alright?"

maybe he'd been on the lash, they had a blazing fallout then, stood in his garden trying to collect his addled thoughts, he remembered your beep...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals