Who is legally responsible if large dog gets through hedge?

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Re: Who is legally responsible if large dog gets through hed

Postby despair » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Have the rules on child minding changed because when I investigated them some years ago

greenhouses had to fenced off or safety glass
gardens had to be fenced
staircases boarded in if they were classic 1970s plank style

the rules were quite honestly extremely restrictive

However it remains the full responsibility of the dog owner to retain /control his dog and clearly he has no intention of doing so
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby ukmicky » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 pm

You could have a two inch fence and it would still be the neighbours responsibility to keep his dog in his garden. Only the law however can force any action onto him ,so he can refuse to pay towards any cost of a chain link fence.

There are two separate duties of care here. You can't let the children into the garden knowing they could come to harm. The neighbour can't let the dog loose into his garden knowing it can escape and cause harm.

I would warn the neighbour that if the dog comes into the garden and threatens to attack me or anyone in my garden I would defend myself by using my garden fork on it. That threat should prompt the neighbour into action. If it doesn't I would wait until the dog came into my garden and then call the police and tell them there is an out of control dog in your garden.

The police would then come down and deal with the situation.

They may simply warn the neighbours in the beginning but if they keep getting called out they will sort it out eventually.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby COGGY » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Ukmicky said

I would warn the neighbour that if the dog comes into the garden and threatens to attack me or anyone in my garden I would defend myself by using my garden fork on it. That threat should prompt the neighbour into action. If it doesn't I would wait until the dog came into my garden and then call the police and tell them there is an out of control dog in your garden.

The police would then come down and deal with the situation.

They may simply warn the neighbours in the beginning but if they keep getting called out they will sort it out eventually.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Sounds like very good advice.

Coggy
COGGY

Postby arsie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Warning the dog neighbour is fine but if I were a child-minding business I would put a dog-proof fence up right quick.
arsie

Postby groovyjess04 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:27 am

not sure but would love to know with new law
groovyjess04

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:53 am

groovyjess04 wrote:not sure but would love to know with new law
what do you mean?!?
MacadamB53

Previous

Return to Animals