Cremating a dog.

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Cremating a dog.

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi,

I fear that Blitz will not be with us for much longer. He is having fits , of varying intensity, on an almost a daily basis, with each one leaving him a little bit worse. He obviously knows something is wrong, but does not appear to be in pain, so he will remain with us until things get too bad.

Planning ahead, I have looked into cremating him. The going rate seems to be about £300 to £400, plus vets fees.

In the past, I have taken a sick goat to the abatoir, and they did the necessary, FOC, including disposing of the remains. Twice I have had a knacker come to my house to put down sick horses. The first resulted in receiving a check in the post for £2. The second was after the Mad Cow affair, so corpse had to be incinerated. Collection and disposal cost me £20, but that was a few years ago.

When I lived in Wales, I had two German Shepherd put to sleep, when they became old and infirm. My vet did the honours, and for a nominal fee (£1 ?) arranged for their bodies to be collected by a Veterinary Research place in Carmarthen, to be cremated. I was offered their ashes, but refused.

I am hoping to be able to buy a small plot of land, plant a tree in memory of my son, who died in Australia a couple of years ago. But I don't know when that will be, hopefully soon. I think that would be a nice place to scatter Blitz's ashes (and maybe mine, in due course). But the cost of cremation is something I hadn't bargained for. Our garden is not big enough to bury a dog, but if Blitz can hang on until we have bought the plot, there should be room to bury him there,

What do other people do?

The picture was taken about 30 minutes after Blitz's first big siezure.

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Cremating a dog.

Postby jdfi » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:52 am

jdfi

Postby alyson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:43 pm

http://www.petsinpeace.co.uk/

Slightly nearer to home for you.
alyson

Postby mugwump » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:26 pm

We cremated all 3 of our previous dogs. The first 2 had their ashes scattered where they normally went for their walks. My daughter has the ashes of the 3rd in a casket in her bedroom.

The last one, a Labrador, was cremated just over a year ago and cost £180 including the casket (Cheshire)
mugwump

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:04 am

I lost my beautiful companion in 2012, and entrusted her final care to the local Vet. I believe you're not too far from me John, so if it's any help then I used Northlands Vets, who in turn entrusted her cremation to these: http://lawnhillpetcrematorium.co.uk/

She was a border collie cross, a true friend for 15 years, but I knew it wasn't practical to bury her in the garden. Following her return I buried some of her ashes in a corner of the garden and planted a climbing rose in her memory. The rest sit on the shelf in the dining room, which would suit her, she could always be found in the vicinity of anyone with food!

I now have a male collie, a rescue dog, who has come on in leaps and bounds in the 2 years he's been here. Major trust issues to begin with but patience and kindness has won him round. He still seems to have every allergy going so is on constant medication to control things, but seems happy enough!
Hugh Jaleak

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks for replies.

Blitz is a rather scawny 30kg. He comes and goes, sometimes bounding around all day, sometimes collapsing a couple of times a day. We just have to live with it, if we take him out with us, and he is unconcious when we arrive, we just let him sleep for as long as it takes ... two hours last weekend, but usually nearer one hour.

His tablets are now costing about £100 per month ( Google say pheo-barb tablets are $3 per 100 in USA) and his blood test cost £150 last month. But that's what we signed up for, for as long as he appears to enjoy life.

Our son died in Oz about three years ago. When we eventually sell our old house, we plan to buy a small plot in UK, plant a potentially big tree in his memory. That would be a good place to scatter ashes (maybe ours too). If Blitz departs too soon, I guess we will scatter his ashes along his favourite walk in Milton Keynes, near our daughter, as it is unlikely to be developed further.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi,

We lost Blitz last weekend, had to call the vet out to put him to sleep.

We had been told that a dog does not suffer during a fit. So why was he writhing (not spasming) and screaming. I think we let him go one fit too far. The anal syringe made no difference. Over two hours from the first signs to final injection. I hate making god-like decisions.

SWMBO said cremation, did not want his ashes returned. Strangely, a week later, we still have not had the vet's bill ... and this from a practice that demands payment NOW.

Thanks for everybody's interest.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby mugwump » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:50 pm

My condolences.

As somebody who has been there 3 times it is never easy to make that decision.

FWIW, my experience is that for these situations vets are never in a hurry to send the bill to allow you time for the grief to lessen slightly
mugwump

Postby COGGY » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:09 pm

So sorry to hear you have lost Blitz. You have often mentioned him and we will all miss hearing about him.

Kind regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:31 am

FWIW, my experience is that for these situations vets are never in a hurry to send the bill to allow you time for the grief to lessen slightly

Hi Mugwump,

Thanks for your condolences.

We used one vet (large farm animal practice) for 30 years, who charged professionally, but sent their bills at end of month, like professionals should. My last visit to them was to put my GSD to sleep. "Send me your bill"" I said. "Oh no!" said the NEW partner, "It's best if you pay it now!" The practice was becoming less friendly anyway, as the original three partners retired.

I have known both a pony (somebody removed it's blinkers while cart was still attached), and a dog, that were badly injured in RTAs. Both times, a vet was called, refused to put the animals down until he had been paid. That required whip-rounds amongst the spectators. OK, it's a dilemma, but I'd like to think that my first concern would be the "welfare" of the animal.

One practice that does annoy me is the PDSA. Google and see if you are eligible to have them treat your pet.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby Collaborate » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:42 am

Unfortunately demands for payment in advance usually occur following multiple instances of non-payment. None of us like to be in the position of having to chase for fees, or even sue or forego fees. I can see how it can seem insensitive, but when dealing with individuals rather than a large business it is more unusual for someone to be happy to wait for their fees than not.
Collaborate

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi,

Still no bill, so I phoned the vet, was told it had been posted, we should receive it today, or Monday. Didn't arrive today.

£230. But that included call-out and cremation, but not return of his ashes. Could have been worse.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby smallholder » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:38 am

Hi

If you have had Blitz cremated, you could have asked for Blitz to be placed in a container, we had our Jade wrapped in bambo. We had her in the draw for a couple of months ish...until we found the right small tree that we could plant up in a pot. So you could have scattered Blitz's ashes when you buy the plot....

Our Jade now rests in the bottom of the pot standing on the doorstep...where she loved to lay when the sun was shining.

My wife is a vet of far to many years.... and although it is a VERY tough decision to make, Blitz has been your best friend for many years and given you pleasure, but Blitz cant tell you when...but if he was having fits or suffering in any way you need to consider the dogs welfare over yours, horrible as that sounds...(its not meant to be a nasty comment)making the decision sooner rather than later.
Vets have a duty of care to abide by...which means the "welfare" of the animal has to come first before money!!!!.

I feel for you, as i felt lost without Jade...in fact empty, she was always by my side, but im happy i made the decision to let her go. I wish you and Blitz all the best...
smallholder

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:56 am

Hi Smallholder,

Thanks for your kind words.

We recently decided to get another dog. Yikes! Mongrels are fetching £500. We looked into "rescue" dogs ... anything between £100 and £200, if you are deemed a suitable adopter (not working, and no young children). Adopting from Spain will cost £350, unless the dog is sponsored (already in UK) in which case it is £150. But website for Spanish Stray Dogs had my wife in tears, so we decided to wait for a dog to "appear".

Knock on door on Wednesday last week. Woman with a tiny Jack Russell that she had taken in when his owner emigrated to Oz just before Christmas. We couldn't take him until this Wednesday, as we were going to a mate's 70th birthday bash in Wales, staying at a hotel. He is tiny, about five years old, entire (ask your wife), and very well behaved ... well he was until he saw another dog outside Sainsburys. Name of Wilken (Now Wilkie). 6kg, and eats next to nothing. He seems to have settled. I offered the lady a "token tenner". She refused ... but her 10 year old daughter had no inhibitions about accepting it. Snatch!

Yikes ... I've just had a pheasant fly past my window. :shock:

I'll post a picture when I manage to down load my camera.

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Animals