Rodent issue

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Rodent issue

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:26 pm

I am currently in a dispute with my current neighbours. Back in november 2014 we noticed rats accessing our neighbours property through a hole in the exisitng property wall next to an extention that had been built on the back of the house, we informed them of this when we saw them the next day, approximately 6 weeks later we informed them again as we had heard rats in our loft. We was assured they had purchased humane rat traps and their intention was to lure the rats out and catch them humanely and let them go. Approximately 4 weeks later the traps were still not in place, and we were still witnessing rats entering and exiting the property via this hole, by this time the rats had now bred and become a few more, we also witnessed the taking of nesting materials into the hole, so rather cheekily and with hindsight maybe not the best idea we slid a piece of wire over the hole from our side of the fence purely to see what happened when the rats couldnt get back in, we saw approximately 7 rats around this hole at around dusk time. The next day the neighbour removed the wire, we then recieved a letter stating she had removed the wire as all this did was trap rats in the cavity and above the ceiling. She then outlined that she planned on using these humane traps and understably rats being neophobic need time to acclimatise to new things this was on the 18th January, but as we were witnessing increasing rodent activity we contacted our environmental health dept to ask their advice, they stated that in the interim feeding wildlife needed to stop and suggested that i inform the neighbour of their suggestion taking into consideration she has numerous feeders and also ground feeds, so bearing in mind she had written to us previously and we didnt want confrontation we notified her of the suggestion in a letter. On the 22 Jan i received a response, in fact a 3 page essay saying that she could not agree with the methods suggested to dealing with the rodent issue, and then proceeded to quoting totally irrelevant information regarding the eradication of wildlife. There was also a statement made that was taken maybe out of context regarding natives and non natives of britain, that i personally took offence to and wrote my own correspondance to. I received a response, that basically said it was taken out of context, explained and then basically told that was the last she wanted to hear as she considered the matter closed and dealt with. On the 4th of Feb, i had a visit from the E.H.O from the council, and he witnessed the feeding and also the rodent activity, and said for us to arrange a pest control visit for our loft, and pending the outcome of the visit he would take appropriate action, pest control came on the the 6th and put bait in our loft as soon as he opened the hatch he said you have definitely got rats by the smell, and said in all likelyhood the rats are coming in via neighbours wall. Subsequently that meant that the environmental health would send my neighbour an informal letter suggesting all feeding to be temporarily suspended until the rat population declines. Yesterday we received a letter from "next door" she states that she resents bitterly me calling in the council to spy on her, (through a metal fence) she will temporarily remove the bird feeders, then explains what temp means! While the baiting (murder in the most inhumane painful way)goes on. She is basically threatening us that she will take legal action against us if necessary. All we have done is carry out steps to protect our property from the damage that could be potentially caused by rodents living in the house. We are aware that if she doesn't comply she could be served with a notice, under the prevention of damage by pests act 1949, its just her negligence on dealing with the problem could potentially cause damage at worst a fire, and that's not covered by insurance in fact any rodent damage isnt. So if our house has a fire caused by rodent damage can we take her to court? All correspondence from her has been kept due to the unsubstantiated accusations towards us being bullies etc and derogatory remarks. All we wanted was to rid our property of rats and we get all this.

Her attitude is simply rodents appear to matter more than her neighbours. Sorry this is long winded but this is ongoing all the time.
hertslady80

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Rodent issue

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi hertslady,

good grief what a long, long, long unbroken block of text!

it seems to boil down to:

if our house has a fire caused by rodent damage can we take her to court?

answer - you sure can, but I doubt you'd win.

Kind regards, Mac
Last edited by MacadamB53 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacadamB53

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:40 pm

Yep sorry it was long, but this has been an ongoing problem for months now, empty promises of rectifying the problem and down the line the "hole" still hasn't been filled in.

But yes that is the crux of the issue, thanks for the answer.
hertslady80

Postby stufe35 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Just set your own traps or lay poison ( on your land obviously) . You seem to be fixated on this 'hole'....forget it, the rats will be roaming everywhere...just set your own traps. The hole is not the problem, the food source is the problem. No food source = no rats.

Can she not hang her bird feeders in a tree with buckets hung underneath to catch the seed that falls from the feeders...hence no food on the ground.

What legal action is she threatening to take ?
stufe35

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Pest control have baited our loft. I don't know what she is threatening legal action for, she thinks she is being bullied i believe because she has been asked to stop feeding wildlife by environmental health while our murderous baiting goes on, this was our last resort as having traps both snap and the electrified ones were not working.

Basically we are bullies for not wanting rodents in our home. Also she used to feed indiscriminately on the ground i mean two pint jugs of bird seed , cake and other food waste, i was asked by EH to log when she did this so i could pass this on so he could visit at a time when she had done it, so that's spying on her maybe she will take legal action over that.
hertslady80

Postby span » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Paragraphs lady, you ever heard of them?

Also, just kill your own vermin (not the neighbours).
span

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:13 pm

I'll tell you why i'm "fixated" on this hole we have seen rats going in and out of this hole since November, there are no obvious entry points on our property externally. I can post a video of this if you would like to see it.
hertslady80

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:15 pm

I do apologise for my poor grammar, unfortunately i couldn't edit the post after i had posted it.

I came here for advice not for rude comments, i am not killing my neighbours vermin unless they are coming into my property through theirs thank you.
I'm sure you can appreciate that having rats in your loft and walls is very frustrating other methods were used to no avail. Poison was the last resort.
hertslady80

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:41 pm

span wrote:Paragraphs lady, you ever heard of them?

Also, just kill your own vermin (not the neighbours).

If our neighbour could keep their vermin within their own land and property without encroaching onto our land and in our property we wouldn't need to use any form of rodent control. Sadly you cant control vermin like other animals for example keeping a dog or other animal in your garden. Poison was our very last resort

We don't do anything to encourage rats into the garden ever, if when we feed birds we put a small amount of food out so it is eaten fairly quickly.
hertslady80

Postby COGGY » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Hi

I feel extremely sorry for you and hope you can sort this problem soon. Could you "borrow" a cat or dog from a friend? In your situation I am afraid I would be hiding bait in tasty food and putting it all around the area where rats are entering your property. A friend used to have mice in her loft, she said she laid in bed at night listening to them. One day her husband went into the loft to check the traps he had put there, to find a mouse (live) staring at him. She acquired a cat and the mice have disappeared.

Kind regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Coggy

I have a dog, but she is a big cumbersome puppy and although i'm sure she would catch a rat, she couldn't deal with this and sadly her breed is definitely not cat friendly.

All we really want is for the rodents to be rectified and the entry point/s remedied. As I stated we tried snap traps baited with peanut butter, cooked bacon and mars bar they were never touched, we had the traps that electrocute them, never caught a rat either. So poisoning was the last method we could use and hopefully this will work. Sadly if the entry points are remedied it could happen again.

We tried the polite way of notifying next door, who assured us it would be dealt with in November I think is ample time to address the issue.
hertslady80

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi hertslady,

sounds like you're doing all you can to control the rats on your property.

leave the authorities to deal with the neighbour.

the hole is being used by the rats out of convenience - I'll bet there are plenty other viable entry/exit points around the building.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:17 pm

That's what we have done. We contacted them purely for them to sort out the rodents in our property. I can assure you that in the 30 year occupancy we have never had a rat in the house ever. It's only been in the last few months this has been the case, you may well be right they could be getting in elsewhere but no obvious holes around.

We don't deserve any of the comments in the letters that have been sent to us. We are only doing what's within our rights to do so. I just wanted some constructive advice, as it has got out of hand.
hertslady80

Postby arborlad » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:21 pm

hertslady80 wrote:If our neighbour could keep their vermin within their own land and property...... .

An impossibility I'm afraid, vermin don't recognise boundaries, if the neighbours got-em - you've got-em, and vice versa.

Persevere with the traps, there's a US made black plastic one that's fairly foolproof...........Tunnocks Caramel Wafer the favoured bait.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:29 pm

I was being facetious with that comment, that's exactly what I meant it's impossible. And as this is the case they should of took steps to remedy the situation, sadly the person in question seems to value rodent rights above her neighbours or an attitude along that line. Rats outside not an issue, inside is a different matter.
hertslady80

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals