Rodent issue

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Re: Rodent issue

Postby hertslady80 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:48 am

I would just like to reiterate i do not expect someone to rectify the issue for me. We have taken steps in eradicating the problem, laying traps both snap and electronic ones, and as i have said when this failed to catch any rats in our loft, we called in E.H to deal with it.

So far we haven't heard any noises in the loft anymore, and hopefully we may of solved the issue, however all i meant is if she doesn't block off this external access point we could have more visitors, and even if we do block up the holes in our loft they can still get into the cavities of the house.

I accept the advice given to me, all i am saying is without the co-operation from next door, the issue isn't solved.

Anyway i spoke to the previous owner last night, mainly to see why the current occupier has been making these statements towards us, she says they never said anything like that about us to the buyers. I spoke to the wife, so i mentioned about the fault with the outside wall, she didn't know there was one. And its doubtful they will come back and repair it.

She came up with a plausible thing, maybe she is being this way hoping we will sell the house, and her daughter can buy it. :roll:
hertslady80

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:08 am

Hi hertslady,

all i meant is if she doesn't block off this external access point we could have more visitors

you mean you might not have a problem right now?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby hertslady80 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:15 am

Yes MacadamB53

We did have rodents in the house, but hopefully they have had the bait and got rid of those ones at least. I don't want to speak to soon on that though as i heard a noise in the kitchen last night in the boxing we have.

But yes if the access point was closed off we wouldn't have any issue. I can only say from my own point of view having lived here for 13 years we have never had a rat in the house, mice yes but never a rat.
hertslady80

Postby hertslady80 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Quick update, looks like we have got rid of the visitors in our loft. We are going to seal the bricks the previous owner knocked through.

Had my final visit from pest control today, and next door decided to throw some food out while he was here, i think she thought it might be the E.H.O.

Within 10 mins i saw rats running around where she had thrown the seed down. Still no sign of the hole being blocked up as yet.
hertslady80

Postby arsie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:41 am

That sounds like progress hertslady80. Pity the EH officer didn't see the rats. Keep trying :)
arsie

Postby arborlad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:09 am

hertslady80 wrote:Had my final visit from pest control today,..................Within 10 mins i saw rats running around.

Did pest control give you any advice on what to do now, if you saw rats in the open in daylight that's a very sure sign of a high population - and they wont be content to stay there.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:22 am

To be honest no, they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, the pest control guy called the E.H guy who has been dealing with us told him what he had seen and he said he would call me a bit later. No phone call. To be honest i don't think they can do much about it, i've already seen rats this morning. Tell tale sign for me that she is feeding is the number of pigeons on my roof, normally i get a few, yesterday there were 33 on my roof :shock:

All i can do is keep bait out in the boxes, but i don't like that either because i might kill something i don't want to get rid of.
hertslady80

Postby Roblewis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Call the EH yourself and insist they come out. Rat populations have, as arborlad says, to be very high to see them around in daylight. I suspect that you will need one of the powerful commercial use only poisons as large populations are often also immune to the domestically available baits and you may also be simply feeding them. EH does have a duty to reduce rat populations.
Roblewis

Postby arborlad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Roblewis wrote:Call the EH yourself and insist they come out. Rat populations have, as arborlad says, to be very high to see them around in daylight. I suspect that you will need one of the powerful commercial use only poisons as large populations are often also immune to the domestically available baits and you may also be simply feeding them. EH does have a duty to reduce rat populations.

+1............with the addendum that no rat builds an immunity to a well placed trap.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby arborlad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:12 pm

hertslady80 wrote:Had my final visit from pest control today............

I'm assuming this is one employed by the local authority, I don't have a lot of faith in someone who leaves a trap in the open, even in a loft they need covering............might be time to contact a licenced pest control company.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby hertslady80 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 pm

I used one through the council, but we paid for the service. He used bromadiolone bait in the loft.

I think the ones from inside our loft have gone, its the problem with them being encouraged by this feeding regime, i have just come home looked out my kitchen window and seen three fair sized rats under the nut feeder. As i said to make sure they dont come in the house, they need to fill this hole, and hopefully problem solved.

Still not crazy about having them in the garden though. :roll:
hertslady80

Postby asp383 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:02 pm

I know this post is over a month old now, but I've just come across it.

As has been said, to see rats during the day, there will be a large community ... for every rat you see, you can normally reckon on at least 6 you haven't & the longer the problem is there, the larger the numbers will get.

Rats will often migrate closer to buildings during the winter, for warmth, shelter & food, in this case, your neighbours bird feed & easy access into the house. in other cases, it may be a barn, out building or simple shed. The biggest problem is the food that's attracting them, as they will normally migrate back to their normal nests once the weather starts turning for the better, because of a ready food supply, they may well stay put & you could experience the problem next winter & so on. If you neighbour could stop feeding for a couple of months, then with the loss of that food source, they'd move on.

With a rat population as big as is suggested, then you will need to use every method of pest control to your advantage...
Live catch/humane traps, I'm not a big fan of these traps & will only use them if I have to, such as it's not safe to use an air rifle. As has been mentioned, these need to be checked at least once every 24 hours, I'm not 100% on the law as to regards releasing rats back into the wild elsewhere, as I will remove the rats & humanely dispatch with an air rifle, & dispose of appropriately. anything other than rats (or Grey Squirrel) will be released. Unless you or a pest controller can check daily & dispatch the rats, or you're capable of doing it yourselves, don't bother with this method.
Instant kill/snap traps, usually very good if set & baited properly.
Shooting, can be a very effective way of controlling numbers, Ideally a low powered air rifle (no firearms licence required) with sound suppressor & usually some sort of night vision (preferable to a lamp). This method should only be considered if there is a safe backstop (for the pellet to hit if it passes through the rat), so as not to ricochet into the neighbouring properties, ideally at least 15 yards as a minimum range. Because even low powered air rifles are considered firearms under British firearms law, you have to be sure you're using the right person for the job ... There are more than enough people who will offer to shoot the rats for free, so you don't need to pay for someone to shoot them. Make sure they're insured (BASC, CCC, BASA or CA), trained in pest control air rifle marksmanship (CnG Marksmanship course), ask to see proof of insurance & certification & ask for method statements & risk assessments ... if the person can't come up with the paperwork, don't let them shoot. You can go & ask the local farmers if they have anyone who shoots air rifle on their land ... the farmer will normally be happy to pass on contact details & no better recommendation than word of mouth from a farmer when it comes to pest control.
Poison, most shop bought poisons aren't that effective for long, so best get a pest controller licenced to use the industrial poisons, obviously there is always a risk of secondary poisoning & a rat dieing in an unseen place & causing an offensive smell.

In terms of baiting, often peanut butter, chocolate spread, Mars bars & cat food are the preferred options, but with a nice supply of bird feed, they may not want these strange new foods, so try baiting them with bird feed ... they'll be less suspicious of it. I've seen the same around chicken sheds, they're not interested in anything but the chicken feed.

All this can be done on your own property, without interfering with your neighbour perfectly legally

There are other companies that offer shooting insurance & pest control marksmanship courses, but those I've mentioned are the main ones.
asp383

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Animals