Rodent issue

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Re: Rodent issue

Postby span » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Such is life, hertslady - if you want or need something, you'll likely end up paying for it. Fair/unfair doesn't come into it.
span

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby span » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:34 pm

hertslady80 wrote:So I put this to you, if as you put it we committed trespass, does she not do it every time she crosses our front lawn to post these inflammatory and defamatory letters by hand. Considering we have only responded to one letter she sent about the rodent problem, and we have now received 4!

No, because she likely could or would claim "implied right of access" (google it) to deliver the letters. You could always remove her implied roa, but that's getting a bit silly.
span

Postby span » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Personally, had I been you, on the first trespass I wouldn't have used removable wire. I'd have used expanding foam or postcrete to block up that hole entirely and permanently. And let next door react to that, rather than have vermin in my house.
span

Postby hertslady80 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:52 pm

I appreciate that, but this all comes down to we never attracted the pest in the first place. But like i said i'm not being petty like her, anyway she could send the letters by post!
hertslady80

Postby arborlad » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:17 pm

hertslady80 wrote: Also re that she is trespassing with her traps, they are on our boundary not hers, but i'm not petty and haven't mentioned it.

I assume these are the humane traps that you mention, are they baited and set?........who is checking them, by law, they must be checked every 24hrs.

With the rat problem that you've got, I wouldn't be concerning myself with whose traps they are and whose land they are on - just that they are working.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby hertslady80 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:32 pm

arborlad wrote:
hertslady80 wrote: Also re that she is trespassing with her traps, they are on our boundary not hers, but i'm not petty and haven't mentioned it.

I assume these are the humane traps that you mention, are they baited and set?........who is checking them, by law, they must be checked every 24hrs.

With the rat problem that you've got, I wouldn't be concerning myself with whose traps they are and whose land they are on - just that they are working.

This is the problem they have not been baited and set, their ornamental humane traps and have been for around a month.

When they were placed in the vicicnity of the hole, instead of them being up against the wall where the rats run they are up against our chainlink fence inside our boundary, prior to this happening they were 3ft off the ground on a garden ornament.
hertslady80

Postby arborlad » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:59 pm

hertslady80 wrote:
arborlad wrote:

This is the problem they have not been baited and set,.

Then you do it, but are you prepared to deal with the aftermath and it's almost certain the neighbour wont be able to.

They may be called humane traps but I much prefer the swift and painless death of the sort of traps that I have linked to.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby hertslady80 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Its not a case of us doing it, i'm just saying that was her proposed method of getting rid of the problem, we personally don't share the same view on catching them the humane way as you say a quicker method was needed when traps failed, then we resorted to bait and enlisting the help of E.H

I don't believe in passing on my problems like this on to some other poor soul and given our location that could be a farmer who would deal with them obviously in an appropriate manner.
hertslady80

Postby COGGY » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi Hertslady80

You came on this site requesting help for a problem with rats. In my opinion you have been given much help and advice, given freely from those who wish to help. I am beginning to believe that you do not actually require help but rather someone to vent your feelings against. If the rats have been there since November then surely the problem should have been eradicated by February. You state there are three adults next door, who paid a lot of money for the property and should have seen the problems. By that token you have been living in your property and could also have noticed the problems and discussed the same with the previous neighbour who you believe is responsible for this situation. There are many posters on this site who have much greater problems than yours. I do not mean to belittle rats, I would not like to have rats in my property. It is however possible to eradicate this problem. Owning a property does not come without obligations. Most of us who are pensioners have in the past seen the value of our property rise considerably. Therefore the cost of a few rat traps etc. does not seem unreasonable to me. I would suggest that you take the steps necessary to get rid of the rats and also acknowledge that people on this site have attempted to help you. Some of your comments give the impression, to me at least, that you think "some-one else" should solve the problem for you. I believe we are all responsi ble for ourselves and should do our best to solve problems ourselves. When this is not possible then I also believe we should be grateful for any help offered.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby hertslady80 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:07 pm

I am not being ungrateful for the advice. I am simply trying to give more information on the situation. But i take your comment on board coggy and on that basis will not post anymore.

I wanted legal guidance/help on behalf of my friend who i live with, we have done what we can do to try to eliminate the rats. I take your comment on board.
hertslady80

Postby hertslady80 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Maybe i am not explaining myself properly, i do happen to be doing this on behalf of the person i live with.

We have aired this issue with previous owner because obviously he is culpable for the "hole" in the first place, sadly we never realised prior to them moving that the hole was still there, up until the night we heard squeaking and saw rats going in the hole. When we saw this we informed the neighbour the next day.

In my original post although i realise its quite long as i couldn't edit it after i had posted, i was merely seeking legal information as to if any damage was done whether it was possible to claim from them should it be proven.

I am grateful for all the advice given to me on here, at the same time if someone asks me something i will answer them the best i can. If my posts seem a bit ranty then i am sorry, but when your getting nasty letters regarding this issue it is stressful and it does make one angry too.

I could only implement my baiting regime with her in support, if the rodents are getting a lot of food they are unlikely to take bait especially from traps. She only ceased feeding when environmental health sent her a letter on Thursday just gone, when we told her back in January that E.H had suggested this to me in the first instance she refused to do any of it. I quite agree it should of been sorted, but rather than work with us, she didn't want to, i couldn't force her to do anything. I had to let her try her way.

When her method didn't work, we then took the final step involving outside help, yes maybe we gave her too much time in hindsight, we just considered it a fair thing to do. However after she received the letter from E.H all she had to do was what it suggested and let us get on with it. Instead she decides to send us another letter with yet more defamatory comments towards us.

Lets say hypothetically the rodents cause a flood, that damage may be affordable to put right. If there was a fire and the house got burnt to the ground, we have no home and no money to build another just a bit of land. Unlikely to happen but rodents can cause horrific damage that is costly to put right.
hertslady80

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi hertslady,

However after she received the letter from E.H all she had to do was what it suggested and let us get on with it. Instead she decides to send us another letter with yet more defamatory comments towards us.

she is using you as a scapegoat to make herself feel better after being told off.

best just bin any such letters rather than respond.

then, once the vermin problem has been sorted (and it will get sorted goddam it!) send her a "thank you" card to draw a line under the matter.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby hertslady80 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks MacadamB53

It will get sorted your right. Just hope we don't get over run with them again :D
hertslady80

Postby arsie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:47 am

I suggest leave it to the authorities now. They will take action. If the rats persist, just tell them. As I said, if you are concerned you can block the loft but if you are not prepared to then maybe you don't really take it seriously enough to act/pay yourself. Or so it seems to me ... just my opinion ...
arsie

Postby hertslady80 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:54 am

I just live here, i don't own it, but I have passed the information on to the homeowner.

He has looked at getting the holes repaired in the loft on the party wall. He cannot do it himself for medical reasons.

We will see though when the outside fault is repaired also, as to whether they got on that way.

Thank you for all the advice you have provided.
hertslady80

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Animals