Neighbours' pet rabbits eating my plants

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Neighbours' pet rabbits eating my plants

Postby anniecc » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm

We live in an urban area and one of our neighbours has several pet rabbits - initially we thought just one but it seems to have had babies. The rabbits have a hutch but are allowed to free range in the neighbours garden and recently they have begun coming into our garden and destroying our plants. We like to grow chillies and tomatoes in pots in our patio but went away for a week's holiday and the rabbits ate the whole lot. We have tried without success to keep them out of our garden, blocking up possible access points, but they seem determined. The neighbours don't seem to care about the damage their rabbits are doing, and I'm not convinced they look after the rabbits very well either. Their garden is mostly paved and seems much too small for so many rabbits which is probably why they keep coming into our garden which is considerably larger.

I have wondered about catching the rabbits in a humane cage trap but I would presumably have to return them to the neighbour and then I suspect the cycle will simply repeat. Is there a point at which I could claim the rabbits are feral and give them to an animal shelter for rehoming?
anniecc

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours' pet rabbits eating my plants

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi annie,

I have wondered about catching the rabbits in a humane cage trap but I would presumably have to return them to the neighbour

nah.

I'd keep em - free food.

how are they finding their way onto your land? (is there no fence/wall?)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby appledore » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi Annie. You have my sympathy. This is just one of the many wild rabbits who come into our garden for a snack. It's really annoying when they eat our plants. A fence won't keep your neighbour's rabbits out of your garden, they'll just burrow underneath. We have some huge rabbit holes in our garden. As fast as we fill them in they dig another one.

There's nothing we can do about the wild rabbits, but maybe your neighbours would be willing to have a run for their pet rabbits.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby Janieb » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:14 pm

There is a way...but. It would need access to your neighbours garden and really they should do it. Chicken wire laid about 18" before the fence on the ground and then bent up to the fence. It's also a deterrent to dogs and foxes as they only think of burrowing next to the fence. Just a thought. It worked for us.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby arsie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 pm

I worked a weekend for the National Trust laying rabbit proof fences and coppicing.

We used stout chicken wire which we buried a spade and a half deep in the ground stretched between four inch posts. 350mm or maybe 15" deep that would be. The soil was tamped down and turf replaced on top. Hard work in the driving rain but free food and accommodation!

Janieb's solution is a lot less work but it does require cooperation from the people next door.
arsie

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi,

However many rabbits they have now, that number is going to multiply ad infinitum. They breed like rabbits, have never heard of incest, and don't mind "keepimg it in the family".

I understood that a rabbit is not a domestic animal. If it comes onto your property it's yours. But check that.

Council Pest Control may be interested. Or maybe these people can help ... http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resource ... ehome.html

jonahinoz

Postby mugwump » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:40 pm

jonahinoz wrote:I understood that a rabbit is not a domestic animal. If it comes onto your property it's yours. But check that.

Your bog standard wild rabbit isn't but those bred as pets are classed as domestic animals

Definition of domestic animal in the Protection of animals act

The expression “domestic animal” means any horse, ass, mule, bull, sheep, pig, goat, dog, cat, or fowl, or any other animal of whatsoever kind or species, and whether a quadruped or not which is tame or which has been or is being sufficiently tamed to serve some purpose for the use of man;
mugwump

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:26 am

Hi Mugwump,

I stand corrected. But two questions ....

Can this horde of rabbits be described as tame, or serving some purpose?

I see that cats are included in the list of specified animals. Does that mean that the "owner" is responsible for the action of his pet?

jonahinoz

Postby mugwump » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:08 am

jonahinoz wrote:Hi Mugwump,

I stand corrected. But two questions ....

Can this horde of rabbits be described as tame, or serving some purpose?

They have been bred as domestic animals and kept in a domestic/pet environment so fall under the tame/purpose category

jonahinoz wrote:
I see that cats are included in the list of specified animals. Does that mean that the "owner" is responsible for the action of his pet?

Cats are an odd animal (in more ways than one!) in law they are considered to be goods where liability is concerned and you can't be held liable for damage your goods do unless negligence can be proven. The fact that a cat is considered free to roam and not controlled by the owner would make proving negligence difficult
mugwump

Postby bobby spray » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:04 am

If they are not contained in you neighbours garden then they can be considered to be wild. The whole of England and wales is a rabbit clearance area by a 1954 law. more info here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rabbits-how-to-control-numbers
personally I'd shoot them
bobby spray

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi,

Keep a ferret, in a cage. The smell should have the rabbits going the other way.

I wonder if a small pile of "ferret exhaust" would have the same effect? I understand that there is a market for "lion censored".

Each to his own.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby mugwump » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:44 pm

jonahinoz wrote:Hi,

Keep a ferret, in a cage. The smell should have the rabbits going the other way.

I wonder if a small pile of "ferret exhaust" would have the same effect? I understand that there is a market for "lion censored".

Each to his own.

John W

Dear forum

My neighbour keeps a ferret in the garden and it stinks. What can I do about it? :)
mugwump

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:52 am

My neighbour keeps a ferret in the garden and it stinks. What can I do about it?

Hi,

Retaliate by keeping a billy goat. You don't just smell them, you can taste them from fifty paces. Then come to a mutual agreement to both get rid of.

But seriously ... if it's that bad, speak to your environment health officer.

When I lived in the Swansea Valley, it was not unusual for blokes to walk around with a ferret (or pole cat) in their pockets ... one bloke wandered around town with an eagle owl on his wrist (shades of the Roc from Sinbad), and a character of this parish used to wander round Swansea with her GOS on a leash ... and they can move a domestic cast iron bath, full of water, across a field without spilling it. I never notices a smell ... apart from Billy, and I moved him up the mountain onto my fields.

jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:18 am

Hi,

Rabbits? Ferrets? NFH? Bring them on! They are all made of "food" aren't they?

John W (testing if photos can be sent)
Attachments
2016 10 18 EAGLE OWL.jpg
2016 10 18 EAGLE OWL.jpg (44.49 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:46 am

Hi,

Joking aside (and avoiding eye contact with the eagle owl) you can keep animals in your house/garden and the Planning Act specifically says that you can build somewhere to house them ... unless expressly prohibited elsewhere in these, or other, regulations. I assume that the list of prohibitions would prevent you building somewhere to keep your pet honey badger :shock: (Google), in front of the Building Line, of your LA flat.

But your animals must not cause a nuisance, and smell IS a nuisance, so the Council should be able to stop it.

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Animals