Neighbours' pet rabbits eating my plants

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Re: Neighbours' pet rabbits eating my plants

Postby mugwump » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:53 am

jonahinoz wrote:. I assume that the list of prohibitions would prevent you building somewhere to keep your pet honey badger :shock: (Google), in front of the Building Line, of your LA flat.

Your first hurdle would be becoming a licenced keeper
mugwump

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby asp383 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:42 pm

I appreciate this is an old thread. but if the OP is still having problems, then this may help.

Rabbits are the only animal, where under UK law, the landowner or tenant has a legal obligation to manage and control numbers, I don't recall it specifying if it is only "wild", or if "domestic" are all under the same umbrella title ... I certainly know that under the General Licence, there is no definition, other than species.

If rabbits are eating and damaging your crops (regardless of whether for private or public consumption), they are a "pest" under UK law. If the OP has tried the chicken fencing method, or the neighbour hasn't entertained the thought of controlling the rabbits, then the OP only really has 2 options left ...

Option 1, spend at least £20 per live cage trap and return the rabbits to the neighbour, however, the only problem with live cage traps is, you may trap other species and in the case of squirrels, it's illegal to release them back into the wild without a licence, so you would require a legal method of humane dispatch.

Option 2, purchase an air rifle and scope, or employ the services of someone who uses them for pest control to shoot them.If this was something you would want to do yourself, then depending on your shooting experience (airguns are totally different from any other firearm), then always get the appropriate training and spend plenty of time against targets (I do an average of 50 shots on the range, to 1 shot against live quarry), before even thinking about shooting anything alive. You do not have to inform any neighbours of your activites, but you have to ensure you shoot only within your boundary, no pellets leave your boundary, either directly or as a result of a ricochet and you always have a safe backstop.
asp383

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi,

A few loud "pops" from an unloaded air rifle, followed by an irate "Missed!", may persuade you neighbour to control their buns

OT ... a vet (in the middle of an operation) was asked by his receptionist "How much to castrate a racoon?" He replied , "Same as a rabbit".

WRONG.

jonahinoz

Postby asp383 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 pm

The only problem with "dry firing" an air rifle is, if it's a spring or gas ram rifle, you're going to wreck the piston and seal, possibly even risk cracking the stock (if wood), as there is no resistance in the barrel, so the piston would just slam into the end of the cylinder. I've seen them damaged after just 1 dry fire, a gas ram would be even worse. There are no issues associated with dry firing a precharged pneumatic (PCP air rifle though.
asp383

Previous

Return to Animals