Chickens in Small Town Garden

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Chickens in Small Town Garden

Postby Tubs » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:02 pm

I ask this on behalf of a friend who is shortly due to move house,

I wonder if anyone knows if there are any rules surrounding keeping chickens (they just have 4) in a small (approx. 20ft x 40ft) garden?

Many thanks in advance,
Tubs

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Chickens in Small Town Garden

Postby COGGY » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:50 pm

It is often written into deeds that chickens may not be kept at a property. There is no hard and fast rule on the keeping of chickens.
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:08 pm

COGGY wrote:It is often written into deeds that chickens may not be kept at a property. There is no hard and fast rule on the keeping of chickens.
I'd say a property might be burdened with a restrictive covenant not to keep eg chickens - not too sure this is 'often' the case, though...

don't think the authorities have any powers to stop you beyond their normal powers if eg your causing a nuisance.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby COGGY » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:40 pm

That's true. It is difficult to get help with any crime today. I would think keeping chickens would come way down the list. Coggy
COGGY

Postby Collaborate » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:16 am

COGGY wrote:That's true. It is difficult to get help with any crime today. I would think keeping chickens would come way down the list. Coggy

I'm not sure Mac was suggesting the police would become involved in "chicken-gate".
Collaborate

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:36 pm

Collaborate wrote:
COGGY wrote:That's true. It is difficult to get help with any crime today. I would think keeping chickens would come way down the list. Coggy

I'm not sure Mac was suggesting the police would become involved in "chicken-gate".
only if they suspect fowl play
MacadamB53

Postby COGGY » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Well done Mac. :D :roll:
COGGY

Postby Collaborate » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:23 pm

:D :D
Collaborate

Postby cleo5 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:14 am

Tubs,
I have kept hens(four Rhode Island Reds in a suburban garden) and moved same hens to a country bungalow with tiny garden, (Kept them in a rabbit hutch and let them onto the garden during the day) No probs. One winter when we were snowed in I couldn't get to them for 3 days.... they pecked snow from the wire and were fine. They died of old age.
Have had many since including free range bantams in large plot but the first three RIR's were the healthiest. They never had mites and stayed clear of foxes, buzzards etc.
You can keep hens anywhere as long as they don't get in to neighbours' gardens.
Cockerels are another matter.
If your friend needs more room to keep them maybe suggest an allotment.
cleo5

Postby Tubs » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks all!

Well, that was a lot less painful than my other thread :lol:
Tubs

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Animals