Help please- Dog broke through neighbours fence.

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Postby subjecttocontract » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:57 am

You generally don't get the same level of sympathy from cat owners concerning loss of pet rabbits, goldfish, birds etc, etc. I wonder why that is?

I agree. However, sarcasm will not solve anything.

I hate cats but, you know as well as I do that no degree of argument will change the fact that cats WILL do all those things AND crap in your garden occasionally.

There will always be cat owners/ supporters vs people who dislike them to varying degrees.

I guarantee this will still be debated in 10 years........unless a serious epidemic, such as bird flue or worse decends on us and requires the culling of cats.
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
subjecttocontract

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby legod » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 am

subjecttocontract wrote:[i]

I guarantee this will still be debated in 10 years........unless a serious epidemic, such as bird flue or worse decends on us and requires the culling of cats.

Or worse, bird flu could wipe out the majority of the bird and human population, leaving lots of stray, hungry cats to rule the world and feast upon human remains and savage the few survivors.
You never know.
Could be a good movie that.
legod

Postby subjecttocontract » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:51 am

I thought you already knew that it's cockroaches that will inherit the earth........ :twisted:
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
subjecttocontract

Postby hzatph » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:13 pm

legod wrote:
subjecttocontract wrote:[i]

Or worse, bird flu could wipe out the majority of the bird and human population, leaving lots of stray, hungry cats to rule the world and feast upon human remains and savage the few survivors.
You never know.
Could be a good movie that.

Nobody left to watch it!
hzatph

Postby hippygirl » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:36 pm

hzatph wrote
Nobody left to watch it

Make cat lovers pay in advance cos you know how daft we are when it comes to our cats :!:
BTW I have a dog and a cat so if it's ok with everyone I will alternate between cat hating and loving as I am not sure which I should be :wink:
Joking aside, madamsamuel please come back and let us know how you get on as this sort of thing is one in a million but could, potentially happen to any dog owner...
hippygirl

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 am

Last edited by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby madamsamuel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks for all your support and advise.

As yet I have not seen my neighbours since the accident. I have composed a letter of apology, as I feel so bad, explaining that we will be repairing the fence, and until that point our dogs will not be allowed in the back garden; and of course to apologise.

Do you think I'm wise, writing a note? I just feel to awful to try and speak to them yet, but dont want them to think I dont care.

Thanks.
madamsamuel

Postby andrew54 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:53 am

madamsamuel wrote:.....explaining that we will be repairing the fence

I thought it was their fence? You should not repair it without their permission.
andrew54

Postby madamsamuel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:43 am

We'll be erecting a fence our side of their fence. So installing a new fence on our land. Figured it was easier to say repairing the fence rather than going into detial of how we'll be erecting a new one.

So even though we caused the damage, we would have to ask permission before repairing it, if thats what we were going to do?
madamsamuel

Postby andrew54 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:57 am

madamsamuel wrote:So even though we caused the damage, we would have to ask permission before repairing it, if thats what we were going to do?

Yes.
andrew54

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:11 pm

Last edited by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby arborlad » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:07 pm

As a goodwill gesture and a way of some recompense, why not replace your neighbours fence. If you're going to the expense of erecting one alongside theirs, for the same money (or almost), you both get an animal-proof fence, and no duplication of boundary features - which can lead to confusion in the future.

Obviously your neighbours permission is needed for this.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Re: Help please- Dog broke through neighbours fence.

Postby Foster123 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:05 pm

So sorry to hear your distress. My dog too has been trying to get into our next door neighbours garden after their rabbit. We had a very near miss last week when they left their gate open. Luckily the rabbit was OK. Like you I was distraught about this as an animal lover I hate to think of any of my animals hurting another.
It is their nature and any amount of training will not stop this happening. Its instinctual. He is not a dangerous dog.

I put chicken wire buried into the ground 2 feet down to prevent burrowing under the fence too. Got that tip off the internet apparantly thats what they do to keep wolves in.

My dog had never tried to get out or into next door before. He only started doing this when the rabbit moved in. As soon as he knew it was there it was like he started a campaign of escape so he could get it.

I hope this all works out for you and take care of you, your baby and your dogs.
Foster123

Postby w3526602 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:59 am

Hi,

Many many years ago, I read an article in a magazine (so it must be correct :) ). The plot concerned a pet rabbit that was stolen from a garden, and later found being offered for sale in the local market. The crux of the matter was that a rabbit is considered in law to be a wild animal, so cannot be possessed , and therefore cannot be stolen. I would hate to have to argue that in front of a judge.

I believe the Road Traffic Acts (or something) give a list of what are considered to be domestic animals, and this does not include rabbits ..... or cats. If your dog had attacked and killed a wild rabbit in your neighbour's garden, would the police be interested?

Then there is the old saying "A dog is entitled to one bite", which to be pedantic, isn't (wasn't?) absolutely correct. But the theory is that a dog is assumed not to bite, until it does. At that point you have become aware that you have a dangerous dog and should take extra steps to control it. We know what happens if you don't. I have been bitten four times, and my friend had his thumb bitten off (funny story). All five dogs died of old age.

Yes, it is YOUR responsibility to keep your dog confined. I understand, with horses, that you are responsible for any damage or injury, even if somebody maliciousy releases them. Maybe the same applies to dogs.

Your house insurance wil indemnify you for some (possibly all) damage done by domestic pet. But you might need extra cover for Legal assistance. For less than £20 a year, I wouldn't be without it.

As for the rabbit, if I had been there, I would have put myself between the dog and his target (my four bites and my mate's thumb were due getting involved in dog fights), but this particular rabbit is dead, and little will be gained by returning the compliment. You'd best concentrate on mending bridges with your neighbours. Aim at overkill when building the fence. My sister shooed a strange German Shepherd out of our garden .... it walked through an apparently sound fence.

Good luck,

602 (That was my "last three")
w3526602

Postby Treeman » Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 am

w3526602 wrote:
The crux of the matter was that a rabbit is considered in law to be a wild animal, so cannot be possessed , and therefore cannot be stolen.

Get a grip man……..

If that’s even vaguely true, I’m off to find a grouse moor and help myself, after that it’s off to the Spey for a bit of salmon fishing followed by a trip up the highlands for a bit of deer stalking.
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Animals