Help please- Dog broke through neighbours fence.

This forum is for serious issues involving animals

Re: Help please- Dog broke through neighbours fence.

Postby w3526602 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 am

Hi Treeman,

I don't know, so I will drop out of this argument, but I found this on Google.

Because the deer, pheasant, salmon etc do not belong to the landowner and are valuable to him, poaching laws had to be introduced. However even when poached, the wild creature does not belong to the landowner and the convicted poacher has the deer taken off him by being forfeited by the court.

602 (That was my "last three")
w3526602

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Treeman » Fri May 06, 2011 10:10 am

I know, why not quote from a website about Scottish law

http://www.hingstons.co.uk/law/issue7.shtml

on a site where “The legal information supplied only applies to England and Wales.”

Oooops you already did

2/10 :(
Treeman

Postby milliemoo » Sat May 07, 2011 5:39 pm

I can understand how you feel, and being told that your dog may not know the difference between a baby and a rabbit and could be dangerous is unforgiveable - a lot of parent and non dog owners would feel empowered to take this view. Your dog could not be recalled as you were not there to recall the dog as many of us leave our dogs playing in the garden whilst we potter around doing other things.

We have hunting dogs and they will live out their instinct - the rabbit owners are entitled to their distress, yes - but its one of those things that happens and years ago it was understood, but not know in this blame society where we're all scared shootless we're going to get sued. You obviously feel awful about it and are prepared to do whatever possible to put things right and at the end of the day that sounds like a reasonable person to me and thats all anyone can ask.
milliemoo

Postby andrew54 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:54 pm

milliemoo wrote:...... being told that your dog may not know the difference between a baby and a rabbit and could be dangerous is unforgiveable......

So is it now 'unforgivable' to tell someone the truth? Or do you think dogs do know the difference? I would have thought a dog would not know the difference, but I have little experience with dogs.
andrew54

Postby milliemoo » Sat May 07, 2011 6:37 pm

andrew54 wrote:
milliemoo wrote:...... being told that your dog may not know the difference between a baby and a rabbit and could be dangerous is unforgiveable......

So is it now 'unforgivable' to tell someone the truth? Or do you think dogs do know the difference? I would have thought a dog would not know the difference, but I have little experience with dogs.

It is unforgiveable considering this can not be proved and the poster is obviously devasted and is looking for practical advice on how to handle the situation. Silly, unfounded comments that would only add to this persons grief - credit goes to the fact that she's obviously trying to do the right thing and isn't that what its about - preventative maintenance shows we learn by our misfortune - not some silly beggar who just buries their head in the sand and thinks it won't happen again. She is doing everything she can to make good so stick to good advice? As you say, you have little experience with dogs. My dogs go crazy if I bring anything with rabbit fur attached into the house (I bought boots with rabbit fur trim by mistake - I didn't know it was real!) not quite the same effect if my sister brings the baby round.

I have four weimaraners, an American akita and a German Shepherd all between the ages of 4 and 15 - I think I can speak from experience with handling large dogs most of which are bred for hunting. My neighbour keeps chickens and one escaped and came into my garden and the akita took the wing - didn't kill it, it lives with one wing and a stump. Thats nature I'm afraid and my neighbour is fully aware of that and it hasn't tainted our relationship in any way. So yes, I think dogs can tell the difference and yes it was unforgiveable to make that comment as it clearly is not the truth as it cannot be proved. Cuppa?!
milliemoo

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat May 07, 2011 7:10 pm

I too think there is a big difference between how 'most' dogs would view a human baby and a small animal. But I doubt it makes parents of young babies/children in the garden feel any safer if a dog was pounding against a fence or getting through. Growing up, one dog we had was a big softy until I was born and then attacked my brother whilst guarding me in my pram. Some dogs turn, it can be a shock when they do if you trusted them for many years, but this does occasionally happen.

I think a dog owner has a duty to keep their dog from getting through a fence in to next doors garden, but accidents can happen. But those who allow dogs to smash against fences are asking for trouble because it is always a matter of time before the fence breaks and the accident can happen. Preventative is better than cure. But when it has happened, all you can do is learn from it.

It is a shame the OP didn’t come back to say how things turned out.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby andrew54 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:20 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I think a dog owner has a duty to keep their dog from .....

The problem to me is that too many dog owners don't take this responsibility seriously. Many think their dog will never bite. In my experience some dogs do bite, some jump up and push, some poke their nose up people's bum, some lick - but many owners don't stop the dogs from doing these things. I wouldn't trust any dog near a baby.
andrew54

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat May 07, 2011 7:42 pm

andrew54 wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I think a dog owner has a duty to keep their dog from .....

The problem to me is that too many dog owners don't take this responsibility seriously. Many think their dog will never bite. In my experience some dogs do bite, some jump up and push, some poke their nose up people's bum, some lick - but many owners don't stop the dogs from doing these things. I wouldn't trust any dog near a baby.

I have to say if we had a baby, I too wouldn't want to take the risk. My brother was bitten on the face, it didn't scar as it was thankfully just a warning bite, not a full on bite. The dog was a bull mastiff, so the damage could have been horrendous, even fatal. I knew a woman with a small Yorkshire terrier who really would attack prams with babies in them or pushchairs with young children, it was a vicious little dog. So whatever the size, there is a risk.

My parents didn’t get another dog until we were a little older. I think it is very personal with each parent whether they would take the risk with having a dog and a young baby/infant.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby w3526602 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:43 am

Hi,

I used to have a German Shepherd censored, a big softy. One evening, in a coffee bar, somebody stood on her tail. It was almost amusing watching her lift off the ground while still in a sitting position, giving an angiuised yelp. The Perp flattened himself against the wall, in terror, while Kim leaped up ...... and licked his face. But that was what I would have expected from her.

But on another occasion, my parents had a visitor to their house. He was both deaf and scared of dogs. We put Kim in another room. It was frightening to hear her crashing against the door and snarling. Did she dislike the visitor, or was she trying to protect us?

I have a theory that dogs can smell adrenaline (fear). You produce adrenaline when you are frightened ----- it helps you run faster. But you also produce it when feeling aggressive .... it makes you stronger (watch a weight-lifter psyching himself up prior to snatching the weights). A dog can't tell which type of adrenaline you are producing, so he gets his bite in first. Comments?

I've ben told there are two types of dogs. Those that think before biting, and those that bite before thinking. Terriers would fit into the latter group. When you are down a hole, and meet something nasty, you don't have time to think.

I have watched cats "set-up" a dog. As the dog walked down the road, a cat would come out of a gate in front of him, and another cat would come out of the gate behind him. This was a frequent occurance.

w3526602

Postby andrew54 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:35 am

w3526602 wrote:I have a theory that dogs can smell adrenaline (fear). You produce adrenaline when you are frightened ----- it helps you run faster. But you also produce it when feeling aggressive .... it makes you stronger (watch a weight-lifter psyching himself up prior to snatching the weights). A dog can't tell which type of adrenaline you are producing, so he gets his bite in first. Comments?

This sounds about right. So, knowing this, dog owners should keep their dog secured on a lead in all public places. And in private places when expecting a visitor.

I am frightened of dogs. They bite me. Comments?
andrew54

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun May 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Dogs/many animals sense fear and it can possibly provoke an attack or protective stance. Sometimes when people fear dogs or cats even, the animal will go to them, jump at them etc...

We had a dog who was soft and had never snarled or showed aggression to a person in 13 years, a man came to our house who the dog didn't know, he stood in the kitchen and our dog growled at him like crazy.
This same dog used to pester a friend of mine who was terrified of dogs. The dog would shower him in kisses, like he was telling the boy "it is ok, I'm friendly and won't hurt you". But it scared my friend more. :lol:

I think dogs sense our emotions, they comfort us when we are feeling down, they tend to keep their distance when they sense we are angry or stressed. They are happy when we are happy and get excited at the same time.

I read some time ago that a dog can attack a child when the dog hears the child’s high pitched screams and is over excited or runs, the dogs instinct from their ancestors the wolf kicks in and they go for the chase, the hunt. The screaming child suddenly becomes prey in a moment of confusion and excitement. I don't know if this is true of why all dogs bite or attack, it can often be an adult that stands in fear, but perhaps the very basic hunter instinct is there in most dogs and certain things trigger these basic instincts.

Dogs are pack animals, we are their pack when we have them as pets, they often want to protect. Fear could make an animal also feel fear when they sense this emotion, they may back off and also feel frightened, or they become protective and this can spark an attack. Even illness and pain in them can change a once friendly and mellow dog into a snappy aggressive dog. Dogs can be unpredictable, people sometimes forget that they descended from wolves who are deadly formidable predators.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby w3526602 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:08 pm

I am frightened of dogs. They bite me. Comments?

Hi,

I want my dog to meet as many people and other animals as possible. People who are confident with dogs love him, even seem to enjoy his boistrous approach. But anybody coming close is warned ..... "He don't do gentle!" I wait till they acknowledge that before letting him greet them. Any indication that they are not happy with dogs (or they are children), and his leash is promptly shortened. As for bikes on the canal towpath, given the chance he would be on the crossbar.

I took my two German Shepherds (dec.d) to the Brecon Jazz Festival ( I wouldn't take Blitz, mind) The place was heaving, crowds were shoulder to shoulder. The dog's leashes went taut. I looked down to find somebody's gtrandmother crouching down, cuddling them.

On another occasion I took the GSDs down the high street in Tottenham. It gradually dawned on me that I had the street to myself. Everybody, but everybody, had decided to look round the inside of the nearest shop, on both sides of the road. Shame, really.

I mentioned my mate losing a thumb. My mate is about 40, 6ft+, over 16 stone, ex-army, mohican haircut, vast area of tatoos, piercings, baggy shorts, etc. A policeman told me my mate had a convincing appearance. The neighbours felt like crying when he moved into the district. There really were some moist eyes when he moved out. Anyway, him and his wife (black wedding dress) went to visit some friends, taking their GSD with them. Their friends had a big boxer. The dogs did not like each other (despite both having had the tom-cat operation).

So the boxer was locked in the kitchen. The GSD was let out of the car ....... and the boxer came out through the kitchen window. The dogs squared up to each other. My mate grabbed his GSD the the scruff of its neck ...... and the boxer dived in and took a bite. My mate's thumb was left dangling on a bit of skin. The dogs were kicked back into the car and kitchen respectively, and my mate headed for the hospital.
The surgeons want to put him under a general anaesthetic (sp?) but he insisted on a local so he could watch them rebuild his thumb.

Several weeks later, his thumb was a big ball of yellow puss, with a bit of wire sticking out of the end. When the bone had knitted, the wire could be pulled out, using the bit that was sticking out. The end of the wire was bent over. So I said .....

"Hey ****, most people who want a hook have it off at the wrist!"

To which he replied, sticking the hook up his nose ....

"Yeah, but this is great for digging out bogeys!"

All true, sorry it took so long. If you don't like dogs, its best you avoid them. Me? I don't like heights, and Barbara will jump out of a moving car if she finds she is sharing it with a spider. And my mate's thumb is OK now.

w3526602

Postby Mattylad » Sun May 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Given that this happened in January I expect that the neighbours have a new bunny wunny by now and everything is sorted out?
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby andrew54 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:28 pm

w3526602 wrote: Any indication that they are not happy with dogs (or they are children), and his leash is promptly shortened.

That's fine when a dog is ON a lead, but so often they are off the lead.

w3526602 wrote: If you don't like dogs, its best you avoid them.

Agreed, yes! But no, I will not stay in my own home all of the time! Dogs are everywhere, in the street, in the pub, in the park, in the countryside. It would be good if dog owners realised this. I can't avoid them.
andrew54

Postby border collie » Sun May 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Mattylad wrote:Given that this happened in January I expect that the neighbours have a new bunny wunny by now and everything is sorted out?

border collie

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Animals