Bamboo causing damage

Bamboo causing damage

Postby starlover » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi there, I wonder if any of you can help me out with a bamboo problem I have?
My neighbours have bamboo in their garden which has crept all over my garden. We kept it at bay for a while by chopping it down as soon as it appeared, treating with herbicide and digging some out,.
However, it has just got too bad now. I can't let the children on the lawn because the pointy spikes are too sharp, it has ruined our sandpit by coming up through the bottom, and it is now lifting all the slabs of our patio

where do i stand legally if i ask the owners of the house to contribute to the cost of having it all dug out? obviously it's going to be a very expensive job :(
I am also not entirely sure if it still the same owners as it was when the bamboo was planted... (the house is actually round the corner, but the garden backs onto the side of our garden)
starlover

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Bamboo causing damage

Postby despair » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:02 pm

You need to write formally to the current owners requesting they abate the nuiscance of their bamboo

detail the damage that you can deal with without expense but best to leave out the rest for now

warn them that if they fail to abate the nuiscance from that date they will become liable for all the costs of repairs etc that are required
After this if they do nothing you will be able to claim for all the damage thats done afterwards
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Bamboo should be planted in containers or a root membrane should be put down to prevent such root spread. Unfortunately people plant things without reading or learning anything about what they are planting. A little consideration goes a long way!

Not that I would put bamboo in the same category as ‘Japanese Knot Weed’, but people used to grow Japanese knot weed and look at the problems that causes!
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby madmoggy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:20 pm

why don't people put invasive plants right next to their own house, instead of their neighbour's boundary? so inconsiderate..

i have the same problem now - my useless neighbour, who has encroached and annoyed us ever since they moved in - planted bamboo two summers ago, and i just knew i'd be seeing it in my garden sometime. so now it's coming through the fence panels and under the fence.

i don't care if it rips their fence to shreds, but i'm desperate to know how to stem the growth from my garden, and since they probably won't make much of an effort to stop the spread, even though we've asked them very nicely, the question is:

- how to put in a barrier from a plant that's already in the ground?
- any herbicide that will definitely kill off the roots?
madmoggy

Postby Breynor » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:01 pm

I have a very similar problem to this, my neighbour planted a sassa bamboo a few years ago and it is now some 7ft into my property mixing with all my shrubs and lifting my paving slabs. I intend to send a letter to her asking her to do something about it but i am at a loss as what to say - ie. making it sound like i know what i am talking about and that i mean business. if it comes another 6 ft it will be to the footings of my property.
If i could quote a law that makes this sound official that would be much better as i know she will ignore it if she can. Any help would be much appreciated as weedkillers dont even touch it.

many thanks in anticipation.

Brey
Breynor

Postby despair » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:26 pm

The bamboo is trespassing and causing damage pure and simple

However the neighbours are only liable for all costs of repairs etc that occur AFTER you have sent them a formal letter titled

Putting you on Notice

Detail the problems to date and request that they permanantly abate the trespass of their bamboo within 14 days

the current damage you will need to repair yourself

Personally i would dig the boundary and use old paving slabs set on edge tight together to block furthur incursion of the roots

treeman will suggest you buy Visqueen or other Root membrane
despair

Postby Treeman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:49 pm

despair wrote:treeman will suggest you buy Visqueen or other Root membrane

You presume to know a lot and now you predict the future.

What I was going to say is that you need to mug up on trespass.
Treeman

Postby despair » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Since you know all about it Treeman

do please advise the OP on what you think they should do or say in their letter

equally if theres a proven Bamboo proof root barrier do impart the details
despair

Postby Breynor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Thankyou for your replies, somewhere i seem to remember that the trespass law does not really exist. Is this correct?

A membrane would be out of the question as my boundary is 143ft long and costs would be out of my range i think.
Breynor

Postby despair » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:36 pm

The bamboo is trespassing but its also causing Nuiscance which is actionable

If Bamboo is causing that kind of problem down an entire 143ft i would be checking mortgages/insurances/credit cards/union memberships for Legal Expenses Cover and see if they will start an action for Nuiscance
despair

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:53 am

Breynor wrote:Thankyou for your replies, somewhere i seem to remember that the trespass law does not really exist. Is this correct?

A membrane would be out of the question as my boundary is 143ft long and costs would be out of my range i think.

You are quite right, rather than a membrane you should go with the dispair patent wonky shonky gappy paving slab idea, don’t worry that there will be gaps and that it will be infective. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, is the bamboo affecting the entire boundary?

Membrane is the industry standard solution despite the misguided rants of others here, lighter than paving slabs, no gaps like paving slabs and much easier to install, oh yes and it works unlike paving slabs which will have gaps.

The much touted law of trespass that despair cites at every opportunity is going to be problematic to use. Clearly the plant originated on the neighbours property but from your description it is now growing on yours.

You say you have tried herbicide, I have used the chemical cosh against bamboo in the past with great success, can I suggest you re visit that idea with some professional input, it will work.

Have you spoken to the neighbours about this? It might get results rather than going directly to the battlements with strongly worded (but ultimately useless) letters and tubs of boiling pitch.
Treeman

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:11 am

despair wrote:Since you know all about it Treeman

do please advise the OP on what you think they should do or say in their letter

equally if theres a proven Bamboo proof root barrier do impart the details

The letter is your idea and it's a bad one. I realise this is the best advice you have to offer but it’s way too early in the day to be putting peoples back up with useless sabre rattling.

As for which membrane??????? Have a look for yourself or get some paving slabs, have you ever installed paving slabs as a root barrier? How did those projects go? Client happy any warranty issues.

Or is it merely some half arsed idea you heard of and adopted because you didn’t know any better?
Treeman

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 am

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby madmoggy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:34 am

Breynor wrote:I have a very similar problem to this, my neighbour planted a sassa bamboo a few years ago and it is now some 7ft into my property mixing with all my shrubs and lifting my paving slabs. I intend to send a letter to her asking her to do something about it but i am at a loss as what to say - ie. making it sound like i know what i am talking about and that i mean business. if it comes another 6 ft it will be to the footings of my property.
If i could quote a law that makes this sound official that would be much better as i know she will ignore it if she can. Any help would be much appreciated as weedkillers dont even touch it.

many thanks in anticipation.

Brey

hi brey - i did try weedkiller and so far it seems to have worked on the bit that i treated - i made a collar out of a tin can (taking off the top and bottom) and cut the bamboo to about 6 inches above the ground. then dug around it about another 6 inches deep, put the collar over the stalk and pushed it firmly into the ground as deep as i could, and poured weed killer into it- a few tablespoons or so every couple of days. did this about three times and it dried up the stalk completely. i haven't seen any new shoots yet, but this one seems to have been killed off.

i realise there is a danger of killing your own plants when the bamboo is shooting amongst them - as mine is - but time will tell. if the bamboo continues on its relentless march those plants would be in danger anyway. so it's a risk, but maybe worth it.

obviously prevention is better than cure, but if i were to put in a barrier on my side of our boundary i'd end up cutting roots of my plants that are near the fence as well, such as climbers and shrubs. it's basically a lose/lose situation with bamboo and stupid neighbours.

oh and also, play your tv really loud late at night...especially if they go to work early. if they ask you to turn it down, ask them- in the nicest possible way- to sort out the bamboo.
moggy
madmoggy

Postby Breynor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:29 pm

My neighbour is unaproachable, the garden is way out of control and has been for as long as i've lived here (25 years). the bamboo is now covering about 30 - 40 foot of the boundary. Coming through all along this length. my plants are right to the fence, inluding a large banana clump which is my pride and joy.

Ive researched alot on the methods of killing bamboo but no one seems to have a good answer, ive tried the most effective one, glyphosate, which does kill off the top cane , but only to come up again further on a few weeks later as it doesnt kill the root enough. ive poured it down the stem also as suggested within 10 secs before the sap returns down, this too doesnt work. the live bamboo next door is feeding the plant it seems. maybe it would work if i could kill the whole lot, but obviously i cant.

surely she should put the barrier in on her side??? her bamboo after all? or am i not right?

I live in the UK and do not know if we have the same weedkillers as you mention or similar membranes , these running roots are thicker than a mans thumb.

PS, the telly thing wont work, they dont go to work and they would just inform the local council to have me stop it. All seems very unfair :(
Breynor

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Roots