Bamboo causing damage

Re: Bamboo causing damage

Postby despair » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Breynor

When it comes to things like this the law seemsd to be an ass

IGiven the neighbours are unapproachable and have done nothing in 25 years your only solution is what i have suggested

dig everything out and install a root barrier

if you join your freecycle / freegle group you should be able to aquire old paving slabs

if you can then double this up with a suitable root membrane you should be able to protect your side

you could of course get estimates for sorting out the whole problem ........send the neighbours a strongly worded latter warning you will sue them for the costs if they do not abate the whole nuiscance of their bamboo within 14 days whether that will work is a big ??????
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:24 pm

despair wrote:if you join your freecycle / freegle group you should be able to aquire old paving slabs

if you can then double this up with a suitable root membrane you should be able to protect your side

you could of course get estimates for sorting out the whole problem ........send the neighbours a strongly worded latter warning you will sue them for the costs if they do not abate the whole nuiscance of their bamboo within 14 days whether that will work is a big ??????

If the paving is an answer why use a membrane? The membrane doesn’t need the paving so save the effort, expense and a hernia.

Even IF, and it is a big if, the neighbour could be compelled in any way, the plant is now rooted on the OP’s side, how does your letter solve that problem?
Treeman

Postby Breynor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:18 pm

from what i have read a barrier needs to be 30 inches deep. i could never dig that for 40ft in a million years lol and is there really a bamboo proof barrier anyway? this goes through anything its so strong and pointed.

all i want is help with wording a letter please.
Breynor

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Breynor wrote:from what i have read a barrier needs to be 30 inches deep. i could never dig that for 40ft in a million years lol and is there really a bamboo proof barrier anyway? this goes through anything its so strong and pointed.

all i want is help with wording a letter please.

The letter is a waste of time and efort but if you want a proper job go to a solicitor
Treeman

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:40 pm

You can get a membrane to prevent the spread of Japanese knot weed. The point is if you block the route the roots are heading, they will go elsewhere, like back into the neighbour’s garden. If you don’t want roots invading, you have to take steps to stop them.

Letter wording can be something the citizen’s advice bureau can help you with. You can put your neighbour on notice, but if the bamboo keeps coming into your garden and the neighbours do nothing, you will have to spend money taking them to court. No one could say with any certainty whether you would have any success.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby despair » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 pm

My only reason for suggesting paving slabs plus a root barrier was the concrrete of the slabs will stiop the majority of bamboo roots easily the root barrier will then easily stop any that get through the gaps

18 inch slabs will not cause a hernia and you can dig and block the boundary bit by bit that way

2 ft ones are a different matter as is installing a continuous root barrier
despair

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm

despair wrote:My only reason for suggesting paving slabs plus a root barrier was the concrrete of the slabs will stiop the majority of bamboo roots easily the root barrier will then easily stop any that get through the gaps

18 inch slabs will not cause a hernia and you can dig and block the boundary bit by bit that way

2 ft ones are a different matter as is installing a continuous root barrier

The root barrier will deal with all the roots but since you have never dealt with a membrane you wouldn’t know that.
Treeman

Postby despair » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:01 pm

I do appreciate that a root membrane is the best answer however trying to dig an entire boundary to install a continuous root barrier is no mean feat even in easy light sandy soils

I know because i have done it

The OP has already said they cant dig the entire boundary and also move all the plants that are there

If you can hire a small jcb and cope with all the churned up beds/lawn etc using one is no doubt the solution but its really a job for a professional not an amateur and the cost may be too much

The bamboo is after all the neighbours ..........hence the law is unfair to expect the OP to shoulder the costs
despair

Postby arborlad » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:11 pm

despair wrote:I do appreciate that a root membrane is the best answer however trying to dig an entire boundary to install a continuous root barrier is no mean feat even in easy light sandy soils

I know because i have done it

If it was successful, why are you constantly complaining about the effects of your neighbour's Leylandii?

If it wasn't successful, why are you constantly recommending it?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby despair » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Roots are not the only problem that occurs from towering leylandi

but you dont live with the things so you dont know
despair

Postby Breynor » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:48 pm

seems you cannot help me with the wording of a letter or the garden law associated with this post. sorry to waste your time.

ps. its not very nice to come into a forum just to find everyone seems to be arguing with each other, sometimes with nothing at all to do with the post subject. just my personal opinion.
Breynor

Postby despair » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Breynor

I totally agree with you

instead of trying to help you theres 2 people on this forum who try to score points

Irrespective those Bamboos are causing nuiscance and trespass ..........require that they abate the trespass and nuiscance of them
despair

Postby Treeman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Breynor wrote:seems you cannot help me with the wording of a letter or the garden law associated with this post. sorry to waste your time.

ps. its not very nice to come into a forum just to find everyone seems to be arguing with each other, sometimes with nothing at all to do with the post subject. just my personal opinion.

Well since Despair suggested the (largely useless) letter (clearly the sites resident expert on the matter),I think she should be the one to help you with it, it was her idea after all.

For my part I have tried to keep you and the world at large away from such crap advice.
Treeman

Postby despair » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:03 am

Treeman ...........as usual you make no attempt whatever to help anyone

By the sound of things the wrong species of Bamboos are going to fast become worse than the menace of Leylandi
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:24 am

I actually think bamboo is a terrible thing to plant in the ground without containing its roots somehow. It is best in planters or buried in large containers in the ground, or a root barrier be put down to prevent the roots from spreading.

I know someone who planted bamboo and it is ruining her garden. It pops up all over the lawn area close to where it is planted and drives her mad. She only planted it because I recommended it to her, but I did warn her to plant in containers or put a root barrier down to prevent spread. Did she listen? She will next time when I recommend planting a few Oak trees. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Roots