Bamboo causing damage

Re: Bamboo causing damage

Postby Treeman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 am

despair wrote:Treeman ...........as usual you make no attempt whatever to help anyone

By the sound of things the wrong species of Bamboos are going to fast become worse than the menace of Leylandi
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby arborlad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 pm

arborlad wrote:If it was successful, why are you constantly complaining about the effects of your neighbour's Leylandii?

If it wasn't successful, why are you constantly recommending it?

despair wrote:Roots are not the only problem that occurs from towering leylandi

So that's Questions 2 - Answers 0 ...............that's not so much avoiding the question as completely ignoring it.

despair wrote:but you dont live with the things so you dont know

.............and you know this, how?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Treeman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:08 pm

arborlad wrote:
arborlad wrote:If it was successful, why are you constantly complaining about the effects of your neighbour's Leylandii?

If it wasn't successful, why are you constantly recommending it?

despair wrote:Roots are not the only problem that occurs from towering leylandi

So that's Questions 2 - Answers 0 ...............that's not so much avoiding the question as completely ignoring it.

despair wrote:but you dont live with the things so you dont know

.............and you know this, how?

Because nobody is as hard done to as despair

Well no one thinks they are at least
Treeman

Postby despair » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:51 pm

I know of many far worse situations with leylandi hedges than i have
and i have successfully resolved one of the problems

The effects of shade etc cannot be resolved for anyone in the shadow of a towering leylandi hedge unless the thing is cut down to a sensible size which is exactly what the recent Tv programme showed
despair

Postby hzatph » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Shall be abandon the squabble, leaving it to the OP to draw their own conclusions.

All the talk about barriers of whatever kind does not entirely solve the problem - once the barrier is installed the bamboo still needs eradicating.
hzatph

Postby arsie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be kind :)

I can contribute a little know-how having successfully (touch wood) repelled a Japanese Knotwood invasion from next door. I see some similarities in the rhizome and root system. I did read in wikipedia that Bamboo survived nuclear explosions so we must respect the underground part of the plant.

From what I know of roots invading, you can't force the neighbour to do anything about plant or tree roots. It boils down to, you can only take action yourself on your own property, you cannot force them to take action however much of a pain it is to you. Even the far more prevalent Leylandii problem, which is now supposedly addressed by law, is not always fixed and at a not inconsiderable cost and delay. But by all means check this with the CAB and/or your solicitor but unfortunately the zero cost 'option' of writing a stiff letter I do not think is going to help you.

Unfortunately, almost anything that is going to be effective requires you to clear the zone of warfare whether that is going to be a root barrier and/or chemical attack. I will give you my own experience with knotweed.

I used a combination of digging up the roots/rhizome and burning it all then dosing the fresh spring growth with double-strength glysophate which is the 'Round Up' chemical, a 'systemic' weed killer. The digging up and burning was before I realised what it was - I thought the roots were from the neighbours small trees at first until I did research. Our invasion only started when we stopped keeping chickens which had been in a run about thirty feet long, the full extent of the neighbour's knotweed which he planted thirty years ago as an exotic :roll: I think the chickens kept it under control, could this be an option for you :mrgreen: The chemical warfare did the trick after several years, repeating each year for 3 + years then vigilant patrolling of the perimeter another 3 + years and touch wood this last few years nothing. It is still alive over the fence and we think rooted under a 300-year old barn ... Luckily because we had the chickens there and lost them (fox!) the ground was clear of our own plants, obviously.

I think sadly writing a letter is only going to get their backs up and they will be advised I think that they don't have to do a thing so where will that leave you?

Sympathy with the barrier bit: I spent a soaking but enjoyable weekend on a National Trust site making rabbit-proof fences going down about 15" if I recall correctly and burying chicken wire fixed back to a stout stock-proof fence. Buried barriers are expensive and a lot of effort whether by slabs or membrane or both. Before doing the whole length I would carry out a test on one patch say 3m by 2m (the 3m being along your boundary fence, the 2m's either end of that perpendicular to the fence). Over a season or two take cuttings and/or transplant your plants in the 'war zone'. Then go to war and hire a small JCB to clear a 30" deep trench along the fence and bury your barrier allowing extra either end for future growth ... Next, use the JCB to dig over rest of your garden and root out the bamboo, or perhaps go the chemical route (pun intended).
arsie

Previous

Return to Roots