Tree Roots

Tree Roots

Postby tinarina » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:02 pm

The roots of our neighbour's tree have damaged our side path. They have only been living there for a year and a half and obviously did not plant the tree.
I have been reading so much about this but I am still confused. Can anyone answer these questions:

1. Who is resposible for repairing our path?

2. We have asked them to take the tree down and they are considering this. However if they refuse, we will need to think about cutting the roots and erecting a root barrier. If they agree to this, who is responsible for paying and which side of the fence should they be cut from?

Thank you so much for any help.
tinarina

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Tree Roots

Postby Treeman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:22 am

They are responsible for the abatement of nuisance after you have established (proved) the tree is implicated and served formal notice.

The abatement of nuisance may fall short of felling the tree, they probably only need to cut the roots from their side.

Installing a root barrier is your choice and your expense.
Treeman

Postby tinarina » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:01 am

Thank you for that.

So I take it that they have to stop any more damage being done once we have notified them of the problem i.e. root removal but who should pay for the damaged path? Would I be right in thinking that that would be settled between the insurance companies?
tinarina

Postby despair » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:10 pm

The neighbours /their insurance co are only responsible for damage that occurs AFTER you have served formal notice

so right now the costs of repairs /rectification fall on you
despair

Postby RUHEAP » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 am

my neighbour complained of tree root problem when they built their place 3 feet from the boundary with my fast growing firs....
no problem... installed flat plates on my side of the boundary which went deep enough to chop any roots..depending on the type of tree.. otherwise loads of sodium nitrate or chlorate ( type of salt) ..but be careful it can spontaniusly explode if a lot is put down and it gets very dry and hot. better still use sink holes,,, then pour it in... be careful... the police may be asking for reports from dealers in the stuff who is buying large quantities.. any chemist pls correct if inerror
RUHEAP

Postby despair » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:10 am

I understood Sodium Chlorate could no longer be sold ....EU dictats ?????
despair

Return to Roots