Roots spread furthur than you think

Roots spread furthur than you think

Postby despair » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:17 am

Had a Silver Birch removed many years ago because it had started to rot out following branch damage

the stump was ground out and and tree thought no more about it

only when digging just 4 inches down in lawn recently to make alterations were amazed to find a mass of 1 to 2 inch diameter roots a good 20ft away from the tree obviously the roots spread on furthur than that

so clearly tree root spread is far greater than many might assume or the often touted root spread = canopy spread

presumably different soil types come into the picture too
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Roots spread furthur than you think

Postby Treeman » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:33 pm

These roots you have found, from the Birch are they? How do you know that?

If the tree was removed “many years ago” it’s roots would be well on the way to decay by now and barely recognisable.

Sounds to me like you have found some roots and assumed the rest.

For the record the root spread canopy spread thing is a complete myth, roots go where roots go and 20 feet is not that remarkable particularly if there are other areas that are inhospitable to roots.

You are right in one thing, roots go further than YOU think (thought).
Treeman

Postby despair » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 pm

definitely birch roots as theres nothing else in the vicinity nor has there been

they were very dead and brittle so obviously decayed
despair

Postby Treeman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:08 am

despair wrote:definitely birch roots as theres nothing else in the vicinity nor has there been

they were very dead and brittle so obviously decayed

You see that’s where you attract so much criticism

It’s only definite in your mind, for the rest of the world it’s probable but not definite because it’s just not proven, its only definite when you can prove it.

For you everything is black or white, slam bang, yes or no and you represent your opinion as gospel without offering any citation or qualification and that’s just WRONG.

I realise you don’t have facts or citations for much of your output but if you just used IMO IME now and again the public at large would realise what you are saying is your opinion and not absolute fact.
Treeman

Postby despair » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 am

since the land has been mine for over 40 years and i dug all of it originally and planted any trees i sure as heck know what the roots are and from where
despair

Postby Treeman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:55 pm

You are not getting it are you? It’s not specifically about these roots although I will grant your first-hand knowledge of the site, you do not however have first-hand knowledge of most of the other issues you see fit to comment so emphatically on.

Now I challenge you not to change the subject or say “what would you do” which is your standard M.O.
Treeman

Postby despair » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Treeman knows absolutely everything and also not a lot and is so often darn rude to boot
despair

Postby Treeman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:50 pm

despair wrote:Treeman knows absolutely everything and also not a lot and is so often darn rude to boot

But he does know how to give accurate advice and wont dodge any issues when asked
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Roots