Leylandi Trees

Leylandi Trees

Postby cyprusfan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi I'm looking for some helpful advice on a current situation I have.

We have lived in our property from new for 32 years. At the bottom of our garden is a pair of semi-detached houses built the opposite way to ours. When we bought this property we were the first people to move in on the building development and the building continued for another 18 months after. The 2 semi's as mentioned at the bottom of our garden weren't built then. When they put the bases in for them, the builder's had to stop further work on them as there was a fault line (we are on the top of old mine workings, there were 4 previous seams worked last one in 1965, we bought our house in 1979))about 4ft away from the furthest semi. This was held up for a long period and there was lorry after lorry load of concrete poured into this fault, before the building of these two semi's could continue.

We had to completeley do our garden as in those days all you got were fence posts and wire in between them, so as there were two windows going to be in the side of the semi's to be built ( a kitchen and a bathroom window both facing on to our land) we decide to plant leylandi for privacy (they did have another kitchen window on the back of the house tooso we wouldn't be blocking out light) These trees have now been in our garden for 30 years. I would estimate we keep them around 3 metres high.

The semi furthest away (where the mine fault was) has developed a serious problem of cracks appeared in their brickwork at the side front and back of their house and several cracks inside the house. Also they have a problem with drains starting to collapse and slabs on paths raising. However where each crack is there are small trees appearing which appear to be shoots from the other semi's large tree in their garden. The semi nearest to us has a few cracks but nothing like the one furthest away from us.

The guy from the semi nearest to us however, has told us that our leylandi are the problem and has demanded we take them out, even though the cracks in his property are nothing compared with his adjoining neighbour. He actually moved out over 3 years ago and now rents the property out.

He got a friend who he says is a surveyor to go round to his neighbour and absolutely frightened her to death saying it was her fault the cracks had appeared (even though he says it is our trees!) He even told her if she didn't let him on her property he would get a warrant?!! this can't be right surely.

Anyhow when he came to see us I told him about the mining problem when their houses were built and he knew nothing of it as he wasn't the first owner of the property he looked totally shocked. He also has this tree in his garden (sorry I don't know the name of it but is has a lightish coloured trunk and very large) that is springing offshoots all over his neighbours' garden where the cracks are on her property there is one of these shoots.

Where our leylandi are, which face on to the side of his house, there are no cracks at all, I also asked him how could it be our trees when his neighbours house furthest away from us is far worse than his? His neighbour is having a surveyor from her insurance company come this week to have a look.

I know this is long winded but I thought you would need to know all the facts to advise me. I really don't want these trees out if it isn't necessary as we have a lovely private garden.

Please help, thank you
cyprusfan

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Leylandi Trees

Postby Treeman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:10 pm

He is full of bovine

Until he has empirical evidence that third party vegetation is causing damage he has no case and you can disregard anything he says, he can’t get a warrant and that sort of behaviour should be discouraged with a visit from plod, they should take gaining access to someone else’s property under false pretences seriously.

The phrase you need is PUT UP OR SHUT UP
Treeman

Postby cyprusfan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Aww thak you so much you have made our day, will keep you posted how it goes, thanks again
cyprusfan

Postby Treeman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:34 pm

cyprusfan wrote:Aww thak you so much you have made our day, will keep you posted how it goes, thanks again

You are welcome,

Please do, so many people just take the advice and run without so much as a thanks, some even get all upset and vindictive when the advice isnt what they wanted.

Good luck.
Treeman

Postby despair » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 pm

i am sure we would all love to see a photo of this tree thats sending offshoots everywhere it sounds horrendous could it be a Eucalyptus perhaps
despair

Postby Treeman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm

despair wrote:i am sure we would all love to see a photo of this tree thats sending offshoots everywhere it sounds horrendous could it be a Eucalyptus perhaps

I wouldn’t, it's not the issue at hand and would only de rail this thread
Treeman

Postby despair » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:47 pm

When they spring up in Cyprusfans garden they sure will be an issue
despair

Postby Treeman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:52 pm

despair wrote:When they spring up in Cyprusfans garden they sure will be an issue

By when I am sure you mean IF and IF they do it will be different issue to the one at hand, now enough with the derail.
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Roots