Dead Ivy on wall?

Dead Ivy on wall?

Postby MandyD » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi I am new to this site with a query about ivy. When I moved into my flat the outside wall was covered in ivy so much that I could not even open my window on that side. I complained to the neighbour whose garden the ivy was growing out of and he said that gardening was his late wife's responsibility, but he would cut through the trunks so it would die off.

I now have a wall covered in dead ivy, and still can't open my window! I had assumed the ivy would fall off once it was no longer receiving any nutrients from the soil, but apparently not. The neighbour I spoke to has since moved house and new people have moved in. Frankly I want all the ivy gone and for there to be no risk of it growing back from the remains of the stump on the neighbour's land. I would probably be able to look up some contractors with a long ladder who did some work for me before I moved house. I expect the job of removing the nuisance plant might come to £50 - £80.

It's a bit of a dilemma who should pay for this isn't it? My understanding of the law is that if a neighbour's tree has branches encroaching on your property then you can chop them off and throw them back over the fence. But the ivy effectively belonged to the neighbour that moved out didn't it as he thought he'd killed it? Please can anyone suggest some wording for a letter to make the new neighbours deal with it (I'm assuming it's their responsibility cos it certainly isn't mine!)
MandyD

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Dead Ivy on wall?

Postby Mattylad » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Hello MandyD and welcome to the site.

Although you are entitled to cut any overhanging ivy you cannot simply throw it back over the fence.

The best advice given for this is that you should offer it back, however the new neighbour is likely to say that they do not want it (who would?) so you will have to dispose of it yourself.

The removal of the stump on the neighbours land is upto the neighbour and you cannot insist that it is done nor contract anyone to do it without their permission. (well you can insist but they do not ave to remove it).

However, you may be in luck and they may be like my wife who hates ivy and they may wish to remove it themselves. In that case you are in luck.

As for the dead ivy on your wall I think you may find that the new neighbours cannot be held responsible for this and its removal is completely down to you.
Mattylad

Re: Dead Ivy on wall?

Postby Sudynim » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 am

MandyD wrote: Please can anyone suggest some wording for a letter to make the new neighbours deal with it (I'm assuming it's their responsibility cos it certainly isn't mine!)

It is nobody's responsibility. If you want it removed, then you will have to arrange that yourself.
Sudynim

Return to Roots