Just bought a house with possible root problem

Just bought a house with possible root problem

Postby gerardfireman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:37 am

Hello, I would be glad to receive advise from the forum members regarding a house I have just purchased. I found a blocked drain and through employing a drain expert he tells me that approx 5 metres down the drain, which runs down the driveway at the side of the house, there is a damaged/leaking joint. I have looked also at the driveway around this area and there are some roots starting to push up and crack the tarmac in and around the same area.

There are no trees on my property but just over the dry stone wall near the damage is a very mature Holly tree. The tree appears healthy and well pruned, it is about 10ft high with a girth a bit bigger than a pint glass and is the only tree anywhere near.

I feel that I will have to go and see the neighbour to discuss this which unfortunately may put me at odds with them straight away. What are my rights? From reading a few posts on here it would seem, as long as they are reasonable, that I simply ask them to make their insurers aware and see where we go from there, am i right?
gerardfireman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Just bought a house with possible root problem

Postby juliet » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Ask them whether they know whether any large tree has been cut down recently, tell them about what you've found....say you don't think for one second that it would be their small tree and go from there.....
juliet

Re: Just bought a house with possible root problem

Postby gerardfireman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:03 am

Had a sneaky look over the wall yesterday and found a series of Holly trees alongside the wall which have been cut down quite short. The biggest one looked to have the circumference the size of a small dinner plate so I am guessing that these are really the culprits, time to meet the neighbour!
gerardfireman

Return to Roots