Bamboo Roots

Bamboo Roots

Postby Rambling Rose » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:17 pm

My neighbour :evil: has planted a hedge of bamboo on his side of the 6ft fence between us. The snag is that new shoots keep coming up in our garden and a friend, who knows about plants, says that this bamboo could cause damage to the foundations of our garage :shock: .

Can anyone tell me if this is true? Should I ask my local Council for help?

We've been treating the roots with SPK but they still keep coming. Is there anything I can use that would stop these shoots coming through once and for all?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you
Rambling Rose
Rambling Rose

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Bamboo Roots

Postby Treeman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:27 pm

It depends on what your foundations are like, does your plant expert know anything about buildings and foundations?

SBK is fine but for bamboo glyphosate (roundup) will be better, but a shot of washing up liquid in to help it through any grime on the leaves.

Don’t bother the council there isn’t anything they can do for you in this mater.
Treeman

Postby Rambling Rose » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks for you quick reply Treeman!

My friend doesn't know about foundations particularly, she jsut knows of a case of a bamboo infestation causing damage to a house's foundations and told me about it.

You say that regular RoundUp works best, can I use it to treat the shoots that have no leaves yet?
Rambling Rose
Rambling Rose

Postby Treeman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:08 pm

It’s a bit scaremongery, I know a lot about trees, roots and soils and I have picked up more than a passing knowledge of foundations but I never comment on buildings.

Glyphosate is a foliar applicant and works best on leaves expect lower efficacy if its spplied on a small surface area
Treeman

Postby Rambling Rose » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Thank you Treeman.

I emailed RoundUp uk and received this reply:

Hello
Thank you for your email regarding Roundup. The best product to use is
Roundup Tree Stump and Root Killer. Cut the bamboo down to stumps and
paint a solution of Roundup onto the freshly cut stumps and cover if it
looks like it will rain in the next 6hrs. Roundup will travel through
the root of the bamboo killing off the plant on your side and some on
your neighbour's side so it would be advisable to have a chat with them
first. Please read the instructions of the Roundup carefully.
Yours truly,
Tim

I thought I'd share it here in case it helps anyone else who has a bamboo problem.
Rambling Rose
Rambling Rose

Postby Whomping Willow » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:25 pm

Rambling Rose wrote:My neighbour :evil: has planted a hedge of bamboo on his side of the 6ft fence between us. The snag is that new shoots keep coming up in our garden and a friend, who knows about plants, says that this bamboo could cause damage to the foundations of our garage :shock: .

Can anyone tell me if this is true? Should I ask my local Council for help?

We've been treating the roots with SPK but they still keep coming. Is there anything I can use that would stop these shoots coming through once and for all?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you

Clearly if Roundup is applied effectively (on green leaves, not on the new shoots, which have silica encrusted sheaths) it will kill the bamboo - all of it, not just the new shoots. Is this what you want? Possibly your neighbour does not. I would seek out a shallow root barrier - possibly 6 inches, maybe a foot deep. Dig a trench along the length of the bamboo in your garden and install the barrier. If installed at the correct depth you won't see another bamboo shoot for a while. You neighbour can have their bamboo and you can have piece of mind.
Whomping Willow

Return to Roots