encroaching roots

encroaching roots

Postby hugger » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:48 pm

hello hope someone can help,my neighbors tree is 100ft it has ivy 3/4 way up on every trunk and its root system has cracked my garage floor which 8feetx 12feet and 6 inch deep and has a crack down the middle of it,i know she has no house insurance because a lump fell off the tree 2years ago on my garage roof ,my insurance com approached her but couldn't get any money from her , how will i go with this one, councils don't want to know because its on private ground,also its not got a preservation on it ,i have dug a hole and you can see the root,i want to know the correct way to go about this,PS also this neighbor isn't a nice person,
hugger

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: encroaching roots

Postby juliet » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:56 am

I know that you say you have gone through your insurers - are they now saying that they won't progress it for you? Really you just need to claim off them and they should handle it. If that is no go then you need to write to the neighbour and advise on the damage and see what happens. Failing any action from neighbour then you would then need to consider going to court.
juliet

Postby despair » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:08 pm

You need to go back to your insurers ..........they can put a lien on her house to recover the costs of any claim they have to pay out to sort out the damage to your garage

they may just want the tree felled too if it truly is cause of damage and legal nuiscance
despair

Postby hugger » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Thank you very much for your views,i may have said about the insurance company not getting anywhere,sorry to mislead you it was the last time a piece fell off the tree they didn't get any money from the neighbor,i have not yet contacted my insurance,i will be doing so in the next day or two about the root damage to the garage,as the neighbor is unapproachable, and if i did approach them they may say i am having a go at them,
hugger

Postby juliet » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:32 pm

I would leave it to your insurers and see what happens first, especially if you don't have a reasonable relationship with your neighbour. It is irrelevant as to whether neighbour thinks you are having a go at them, as clearly you have a problem with your garage. Your insurers will no doubt secure evidence first and proceed against your neighbour in the event that it is her tree causing the problems your are experiencing.
juliet

Return to Roots