Leylandi removal or not

Leylandi removal or not

Postby mellie7777 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi All

I found this website today and hopefully someone can help me with my dilemma.

We moved into our new house July 2011. It was built in the rear garden of our now neighbours who live to the front of our property. Along the rear of our property and approx 5 meters from our house are leylandi trees, over 5 meters high. Our house was built with deaper foundations so we feel were ok on our side re heave etc if we remove the trees. We are a little concerned about our neighbour to the rear who is approx 7-8 meters from the trees.

The trees were about 6' tall in 1992 so we reckon they are anywhere from 25-30 years old. Some are small in girth only 15cm or so but two are quite large around 3/4 meter maybe a tad more. The previous owner hacked the trees back on our side so the trunks are bear and unsightly but our neighbours side is a nice hedge. We hope to replant with a new laurel hedge growing to a hight of 3 meters.We are in Hampshire and believe we are on clay!

Any info/advice on removal and potential problems with heave greatly received. I am not too sure about leylandi roots but I know they guzzle a lot of water.
mellie7777

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Leylandi removal or not

Postby mellie7777 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Has anyone got any advice re removal of our trees?

3/4 means three quarters of a meter not 3 or 4 meters in girth!

Please give me your thoughts on this

Thanks Mel
mellie7777

Postby Mojisola » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:44 pm

mellie7777 wrote:Any info/advice on removal and potential problems with heave greatly received. I am not too sure about leylandi roots but I know they guzzle a lot of water.

Do they? I've always thought conifers weren't so much of a problem for extracting water from the soil.
Mojisola

Postby SimonM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi,
If your in Hampshire, why not consider planting a Yew hedge or a Beech hedge, rather than Laurel, which is a rather invasive non-native species.
SimonM

Postby COGGY » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi
Portugese laurel makes a good hedge, it is evergreen, attractive and has fibrous roots so will not cause damage to buildings.

Coggy
COGGY

Postby despair » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Do they suffer from leaf drop like other laurel does and how far do their fibrous roots tend to spread because ordinary laurel tends to form a mass of dense black fibrous roots and other plants struggle to survive near it
despair

Return to Roots