Tree root damage, neighbours house rented

Tree root damage, neighbours house rented

Postby Paul_G » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi.

Were are suffering some damage to our boundary wall, an outbuilding and some concrete yard, which is clearly caused by next doors tree roots. The roots have actually appeared about ground in a few places, as far as 15-18 feet over the boundary. There are trees 25-30 feet high as close as 6 feet from the boundary and some at 15-20 feet 2 or 3 feet from the boundary wall. Several months ago i pointed out to the neighbour that the trees were damaging the wall, the building and an area of concrete in front of the building. I also pointed out that it was likely the roots would be very close to our cesspit and drains. They were quite friendly and said they would get in touch with the housing association, as the house is rented. We haven't heard anything since and the trees are obviously still growing.

As the house is owned by a housing authority (ex local council house), who would be responsible, the tenant or the landlord ?

We own our property, but unfortunately we don't have buildings insurance. Yes, i know, my bad :oops:
Paul_G

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Tree root damage, neighbours house rented

Postby juliet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Just get in touch with the landlord yourself. I am sure that they will get onto the problem straight away as they are very risk averse and won't want to be paying any damages. They might ask you for a report but will weigh up the cost of staff time dealing with against the cost of removing the trees.

Get some building insurance - quick :lol:
juliet

Return to Roots